Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrossHairSB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I know on Verizon you can but don't see any setting for At&t to pinpoint and block a particular number, just thought I'd ask you all. thx Ken

Draddy

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
I know on Verizon you can but don't see any setting for At&t to pinpoint and block a particular number, just thought I'd ask you all. thx Ken

That was an option on my last AT&T phone, but I can't find anything on the iPhone that does that.... another thing apple forgot.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
As far as I know, there is no way to block texting except to drop it all together. I called AT&T on this, when one of my daughter's "friends" was sending 50+ messages per day, and wouldn't stop. She wasn't sure who it was.

I was surprised to find out that there is really no way to stop this - AT&T said all they could do is disable it all together, which was not an acceptable solution.

I ended up calling the number that was texting her, and asked them to please STOP. My daughter was mortified, but it seemed to work.

wrboyce

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
As far as I know, there is no way to block texting except to drop it all together. I called AT&T on this, when one of my daughter's "friends" was sending 50+ messages per day, and wouldn't stop. She wasn't sure who it was.

I was surprised to find out that there is really no way to stop this - AT&T said all they could do is disable it all together, which was not an acceptable solution.

I ended up calling the number that was texting her, and asked them to please STOP. My daughter was mortified, but it seemed to work.

Ahaha, Super-Dad... Awesome :)

It is possible, but it has to be supported on the network's side.. I'd tell you more, but that's all I know :x.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Talking about receiving these prank calls/txts.
I'd love if you could had an option where when someone called you you could send them to an automated message which said:

"All following calls to this number will be charged at 10 dollars per minute payable to the recipient. Press # to continue this call."

That would stop the bugger quite quickly and/or make it profitable to receive the calls. Much better than the "do not call list" idea. You'd want them to call you, and for as long as possible.

You could have a similar idea for txt's where the person is sent a message informing them that all messages sent to you will be charged at 10 dollars per txt.

To make it worth while for the telecom companies i'd say let them take 50% of the charge. 5 dollars for me to receive the annoying call and 5 dollars for you to put the scheme in place.

macbookhamburg

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
if blocking doesn´t work another solution would be just making a silence as a ringtone so at least you won´t get disturbed by the caller anymore exept for the vibrating... i know this not the perfect solution but i think better than nothing

cupofjoe

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
if blocking doesn´t work another solution would be just making a silence as a ringtone so at least you won´t get disturbed by the caller anymore exept for the vibrating... i know this not the perfect solution but i think better than nothing

...That's not even a solution. That's just turning the other cheek, which is unacceptable.

DuRui

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
Search and destroy!! ;)

seriously though..even my Samsung D828 supports blocking a certain number...just in it's menu settings...

adamcpennington

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
#7726- No more text spam

I had someone texting me incessantly that would not stop. I called At&t customer service. They said forward the text to '7726'. On the iPhone hit edit, select the message then hit forward. It will text back and ask for the phone number it came from. Voilà No more text spam

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.