Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wharrgarbl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
On my powerbook, you could close the lid, plug in a display+keyboard+mouse+power, and it would wake up and run fine with the lid shut.

1) is this possible on the MBA? (Can't test as I don't have a display)

2) can the MBA be kept awake when the lid is shut with *nothing* plugged in? (i.e. is there software or a hack to do this?)

I realize that this may have implications regarding venting/cooling and screen life, but in some situations I'd still like to be able to.

Anyone?

thanks!!

Wharrgarbl

edwardjung

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2008
careful...

I've been running InsomniaX while I have my MBA hooked up to a 24" monitor and bluetooth peripherals. Problem is that doing so drives up the heat. Hardware Monitor shows the CPU temps going up almost 10 degrees C, even when I detect monitors to shut off the monitor on the MBA.

Terwal

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I think I read in a different thread that the MBA worked with the lid closed... by default ?

That once hooked to a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse: you close the lid, it seems that it goes to sleep but after ~30 seconds, if you move the mouse, you see it coming back up on the monitor.

I have to say I have not tested myself yet since I miss the cable to hook it to a monitor...

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Can confirm that the MBA works like any other recent apple notebook and will operate lid closed as long as you have an external monitor and power plugged in. I run mine tethered to my 23" ACD at my desk but normally leave the lid open so I can use the MBA screen as a desktop extension

n0de

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
I can confirm that closing the lid, with an external display attached, does work fine.

Like the previous poster mentioned, it will go to sleep for a little bit then wake up with mouse movement.

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
Can confirm that the MBA works like any other recent apple notebook and will operate lid closed as long as you have an external monitor and power plugged in. I run mine tethered to my 23" ACD at my desk but normally leave the lid open so I can use the MBA screen as a desktop extension

I didn't think the MBA supported a 23" ACD. Are you having any issues with your setup?

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
nope

Can confirm that the MBA works like any other recent apple notebook

I have a MacBook Pro about six months old, and it goes into sleep mode when you close the lid with an external monitor and power supply hooked up. Useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.