Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Keeping good on Steve Jobs' email promise, Apple has released a new graphics upgrade kit today. The $279 NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (1st Generation) Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro appears to finally offer a video upgrade path for previous generation Mac Pro owners.

The card is distinct from the previous Nvidia 8800GT upgrade kit which was available only for Early 2008 Mac Pros:
Note to owners of Mac Pro (early 2008): Please select the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (early 2008) Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro.
When Apple released the Early 2008 Mac Pro, they offered the NVIDIA 8800GT as an upgrade option, however due to firmware issues, the 8800GT was not compatible with previous generation Mac Pros -- until today.

Article Link

usasalazar

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Woo-Hoo!

So I thought this applied to me and called 1-800-My-Apple to order.

Since I just wanted to justify the cost with better performance, they let me speak with a systems engineer who told me to stick with what I currently have (ATI Radeon X1900) since the apps I run are mainly Motion and FCP. In fact, Motion was optimized for the ATI card.

WOW!

They did not try and pressure me to spend $$$ -- and they soooo could have. I'm stupid, I would have bought it!

Some will and should get this card but not everyone -- I was so blown away that they let me speak with a systems engineer who was honest with me.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Why is it that Firmware on video cards has to be so complicated for the Macs and cause us to not have a wide selection???

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I would consider getting this if it wasn't for the fact that it is NVidia. Apple's Color was made to work with ATi cards specifically and they recommend the X1900 for that program. I suppose that it is only a matter of time before the program is updated to better support multiple cards.

P-Worm

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
That's interesting that Apple is so tight-lipped on product releases and upgrades in the official channels (the press, etc), yet Steve himself (or his aides) are often willing to provide hints on upcoming releases or fixes by personal email. This at least the second or third example in recent months -- this, the iPhone calendar adding events, the Leopard Time Machine network drive issue, etc.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
really nice to see apple following through on something they said they'd do. Seems to me you'd have to be a pretty hardcore gamer to shell out for this if you already have an x1900, but if you are, or if you have a 7300, this is pretty great.

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
Probably the usual US$1 = GB£1…
:( :mad:

Quick question - when the dollar was valued at more than the Euro or a GB did Apple increase the prices to account for that? If not you really have no reason to complain at all. You're not getting paid any less than you were yesterday and you're still getting paid in your native currency. If Apple did base their prices off the value of the dollar the prices in the US should have skyrocketed since it's not worth much anymore. The price of these products isn't based on the value of the dollar - it's based on the value of the product in your particular country and they think 1 Euro is worth as much to Europeans as 1 dollar is to Americans.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
That's interesting that Apple is so tight-lipped on product releases and upgrades in the official channels (the press, etc), yet Steve himself (or his aides) are often willing to provide hints on upcoming releases or fixes by personal email. This at least the second or third example in recent months -- this, the iPhone calendar adding events, the Leopard Time Machine network drive issue, etc.

yeah, but who's going to fire steve if he lets something slip . . .

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Wow, lets see what it costs in the UK.

I'll reserve judgement until then, but I might just get one.

well, since both the 1st gen. and early 08' graphics updates are the same price, in $ i would definitely expect to see it priced the same as the 08' card in the UK

thats £220

The trouble is, now i have to decide if i should buy a graphics card or an newly cheap iphone. or new monitors. or a bigger HD. or new digital optical speakers *sigh* i bought a pro so i could save money in the long term!

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Quick question - when the dollar was valued at more than the Euro or a GB did Apple increase the prices to account for that? If not you really have no reason to complain at all. You're not getting paid any less than you were yesterday and you're still getting paid in your native currency. If Apple did base their prices off the value of the dollar the prices in the US should have skyrocketed since it's not worth much anymore. The price of these products isn't based on the value of the dollar - it's based on the value of the product in your particular country and they think 1 Euro is worth as much to Europeans as 1 dollar is to Americans.

Apple's exchange rates have always been "uncompetitive" for buyers outside the USA.
The relative value of a US$ vs a € or £ has never had anything to do with Apple's pricing.

And no, taxes do not make up the difference…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.