Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Three letters: E F I

Even before Apple switched to Intel & EFI, the selection was lousy. Only those available on the Apple Store.

yeah, but who's going to fire steve if he lets something slip . . .

Apple's board? But why would the board want to fire his Steveness?

Anyways, I'm mixed on this. It took forever to get this graphics card on to the older Mac Pros (kinda mad), but it's finally here (graphics card-ey goodness).

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
Apple's exchange rates have always been "uncompetitive" for buyers outside the USA.
The relative value of a US$ vs a € or £ has never had anything to do with Apple's pricing.

And no, taxes do not make up the difference…

You really just proved my point for me. Why such the big deal about the prices reflecting the US Dollar cost. If it's always been that way then why the problem?

Also, when the value of the dollar was very high and they still maintained the 1:1 ratio that would actually be a very good exchange rate for non-US people.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
Even before Apple switched to Intel & EFI, the selection was lousy. Only those available on the Apple Store.

Yep, because before, it was because of 12 letters.
O p e n F i r m w a r e

A video card has to be programmed to work with the firmware that the system has. PowerPC Macs used OpenFirmware, and so the video cards had to support it to work in a Mac of that era. And when Apple jumped to Intel, they chose to build a modern Intel x86 platform using EFI, instead of adopting BIOS, a firmware technology older then the Macintosh.

Other companies use EFI as well, and it is a standard that will one day be in use on all x86 machines. MSI is shipping mainboards with it to the enthusiast market, Gateway shipped a few EFI systems in 2003, and various other boxes use it. Eventually NVidia and ATI will be forced to properly support EFI, and once they do, the Mac video card situation should be a bit better. We will still need video cards with drivers for OS X, but that is easier then dealing with the firmware issues.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Quick question - when the dollar was valued at more than the Euro or a GB did Apple increase the prices to account for that?
Yes, they did. However, back then the markup in respect to the US prices was much smaller, maybe 5% now it is rather 30%. Although most of Apple's components, manufacturing and engineering costs are in U.S. dollar or in currencies linked to the dollar, some are not. So, currently Apple's margin in the U.S. is shrinking and in Europe increasing.

Filmcaptain

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
US
I have a newer Mac Pro with the 8800GT, and I agree, while it isn't for some, those of us who do a little gaming on the side should be more than pleased with it for the time being. It's great that the older Pro owners can join in with a newer card now!

"."

clmason

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
Canada / Tiger

FYI,

I just ordered this from the Canada Apple Store. It is available there as well, though you have to click around to find it. Same price as US ($279 CDN).

Also, I asked if it was compatible with Tiger or just Leopard. The sales guy checked with an engineer and said yes, it was fully supported on Tiger and Leopard. (The web site doesn't mention Leopard as a requirement, but I wanted to be sure.)

I asked if there were drivers in the upgrade kit for Tiger and he said no, but it would "just work". Let's hope so!

olorinthemaiar

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
woot! just purchased

can't wait to run WoW with it. I have the crappy gcard and play with a 24" dell... hopefully i'll get better than 24fps :)

ShaneMahsa

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
Why is it that Firmware on video cards has to be so complicated for the Macs and cause us to not have a wide selection???

I may very well be wrong, as I am simply guessing on this, but I believe that manufacturers build video cards with PC's in mind due to the fact that the majority of high end graphics end users (namely gamers) are on PC's. Therefore, they may not deem it feasible to create firmware for macs. I don't think writing the firmware is the sole concern, but the cross platform training and tech support they would then be forced to provide, among other things, is also a very large investment.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
OK, so what's your answer to the question of why selection stinks?

EDIT: Dangit Drakino, you saved him. ;)

The firmware, plus the fact that most software out there is for Windows. Why support a platform that has only 5% marketshare? Also, it might be a bit of a chicken & the egg problem: ATI/NVidia don't want to support Macs b/c lack of software for it; software developers don't want to design for Mac b/c lack of hardware. All this is bs.

clmason

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
Uh ok maybe I won't order it. Any idea when this will be available in Canada?
:/

Right now. Search for "nvidia 8800" in the Apple store. You'll get the 2008 version. Click on the "Displays" tab, and in that list you'll find the 1st gen version as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.