Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It's a "race" italian gun... 1200 grams...

Wow. That Tanfoglio is a pretty handgun!

I don't want to know how much that pistol costs, so I won't Google it.

Just how common is the 9x21 in Italy compared to other popular pistol calibers?

Sorry if I'm rambling xUKHCx - not trying to give the mods an unnecessary workout.:eek:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
A better photo of my K31, with its surplus GP11 ammunition. The Swiss kept their rifles nice and clean, although they must have used the rifle butt as a boot jack because pretty much every K31 stock I've ever seen is covered in dents.

K31GP11.jpg

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
That is a nice picture Lord Blackadder. Is the ring on the rear of the receiver used to pull the bolt back to cock it?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
That is a nice picture Lord Blackadder. Is the ring on the rear of the receiver used to pull the bolt back to cock it?

The handle on the side is for working the bolt; the ring on the back is actually the safety - pull back and twist counterclockwise (IIRC) for safe.

The K31 is a straight-pull rifle, which means you pull the bolt straight back and push forward to cycle the weapon. A cam rotates the bolt to lock and unlock it.

It actually looks fairly complicated inside for a bolt-action rifle. Trust the Swiss to make a simple thing complex. :D The fit and finish on these rifles is excellent though.

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Interesting. I have often heard that K31s are the most under-rated WWII rifle, and that they are indeed really accurate.

By the way, have you looked underneath the butt plate on the K31 to see if there was any information on a previous owner? :D

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I know a few other people with K31s, and shooting the GP11 surplus ammo they can equal or surpass the accuracy of a quality modern rifle. Part of the equation is the fact that the GP11 is made to a high standard, but the rifle is inherently accurate if in good condition.

However, the K31 never saw much (if any) combat during WWII. Collectors argue back and forth about whether the somewhat complicated action would be easily fouled by dirt in combat conditions. True, it probably isn't as rugged as a Mosin-Nagant series rifle, but as long as you kept it clean I imagine it would be fine.

I did check under my butt plate; unfortunately it did not have a tag. :(

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Ah, I just noticed you said it was an AR10. Armalite has the trademark for the AR10 name, don't they?

Hey, how do you shoot that .50 without any optics? :p

Yes tr0jan, these are real guns, and no, other than some paperwork there aren't really any hurdles to jump through to purchase firearms.

That is why the had to stop calling it the B-AR10. I have one of the ones made before this was forced on them. Don't recall what they called it after.

As to the 50, that is what my NightForce is for - sorry, I cannot find pictures of it at the moment.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
22933817_2BkJc-L-1.jpg

what would you say the range is on something such as this?

I don't mean the cat ;)

That is a loaded question – quite literally

OK, the ‘effective range’, where you are basically canting it at a 45 degree angle and shooting, is about 5 – 7 miles, a number I base on the M2. The range, w/ match ammo, where a ‘pro’ can hit something is about a mile, but for most people about half a mile+. With mil ammo, like Armor Piercing, Incendiary or Armor Piercing Incendiary (which is legal in the US), its less. Basically, accuracy goes to hell after the round goes subsonic.

Oh, and here is my Backstop for my .50. The trees on top are about 20-30 feet tall. The Bluff is 100 feet+ high.

2519339_Rqqa7-L.jpg

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Oh, and here is my Backstop for my .50. The trees on top are about 20-30 feet tall. The Bluff is 100 feet+ high.

What distance do you normally shoot with the .50BMG?

A friend of mine is a reservist in the Marines...after coming back from Iraq, he looked into buying a .50BMG rifle, but there is no range within a three hour drive that will allow that caliber. He bought a motorcycle instead, which is clearly more dangerous. ;)

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
I did check under my butt plate; unfortunately it did not have a tag. :(

Dang, no tag :( I was reading on Wikipedia about the K31, and it said that some collectors have contacted the previous owner of the rifle by using the information on the tag.

pointandclick

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Certainly some nice firearms on here.:cool:

I'm a country kid so I've always been around guns, but I just started collecting my own a little over a year ago.

On the rack I built
2349090446_f227df0e4f.jpg

Norinco SKS
511749093_3de129505b.jpg

M44 Mosin (first gun) and .22 Savage
511744251_76bc4c10aa.jpg

The other one is a Mossberg 12Ga and a Daisy.

I thought about building an AK a while back but never did. Now the parts kits are outrageous since the ban.
I like the surplus mil weapons. Not only do they have history, but they're cheap... at least until you get to some of the rarer ones and American weapons.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
Sorry, I don't have pics...

.50AE Desert Eagle (in the process of engineering a muzzle brake for it)

Colt Sporter Match H-Bar 5.56mm (Pre-ban, for those of you old enough to know what that is)

Ruger 10-22 (older model with curved butt plate and a barrel strap)

Winchester 30-30 (with a hair trigger and no lever safety. will never sell it for that reason)

Remington 11-87 SPS 12ga (also have a shot barrel for trap league, sporting clays, upland bird and water fowl)

Remington Sportsman 58 12ga (super low serial number)

Winchester Defender 12ga (factory 18" barrel)

Baikal 12ga break action single shot (very light, almost too light)

Almost forgot, and a Daisy Red Ryder.

Either I missed them or I didn't see any SBR pictures...

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
Heck ya! This thread just came out of nowhere…

Y'all have some nice pieces of hardware!!!! :D

I'll have to shoot some pics of my others, but this is my pimp Nighthawk Custom Talon. 1911/ .45

Attachments

• 00000006.jpg
    00000006.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 362
  • 00000002.jpg
    00000002.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 298
  • 00000003.jpg
    00000003.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 282
  • 00000004.jpg
    00000004.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 286

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
My dad in the English countryside had a shotgun, which he used for shooting doves that were eating his veggies, and (unsuccessfully) trying to shoot foxes that ate his chickens.

He used to keep it in the cupboard under the stairs or in the outshed, and I remember getting it out for a look at it every now and then. Always made my friends nervous for some odd reason :)

Remember I was between 7 and 11 years old at the time, and it was about the same height as me. I think he kept the cartridges separate, but I do remember seeing a box of them lying about. He never taught me how to load it or fired it in front of me (I was more interested in looking at it than firing it at the time)

When we moved to town, it lived under the stairs, even though he had no use for it in town (probably illegally owned by then as no valid reason for owning). I think the local police knew he had it (he was the town doctor) but didn't bother to check if his licence was still valid.

When I was 18ish, we moved to London, and tbh I have no idea what happened to it. Probably still in that countryside town house (now owned by a family friend.) I must ask him one day.

I became very anti-gun in my 20s, but never thought of my dad's shotgun as a 'gun' as such, just something I'd grown up with, and part of him / family life. Now, after a few trips to the USA, I understand the USA culture of individualism a bit better, and understand that different cultures put different values on different social goods.

Not getting political, and not saying guns good or bad here, just remarking on growing up with guns in the UK, which is very rare here.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
As a brit, I can't really contribute much except to say there are some pretty cool gun collections on show here :)
A few people have asked about UK gun laws: In short, they are incredibly strict and handguns are completely banned: It's even illegal to sell an imitation firearm that could be mistaken for a real one. To give an indication of just how strict the laws are, currently our olympic pistol shooters have to train abroad because their handguns aren't allowed in the UK!
About the only firearm you can get reasonably easily is a shotgun (but not pump action: they're banned too) for which you need a shotgun certificate. You can buy a sporting rifle but only after you go through an incredibly convoluted license application process (which includes being checked out by Special Branch!)

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
As a brit, I can't really contribute much except to say there are some pretty cool gun collections on show here :)
A few people have asked about UK gun laws: In short, they are incredibly strict and handguns are completely banned: It's even illegal to sell an imitation firearm that could be mistaken for a real one. To give an indication of just how strict the laws are, currently our olympic pistol shooters have to train abroad because their handguns aren't allowed in the UK!
About the only firearm you can get reasonably easily is a shotgun (but not pump action: they're banned too) for which you need a shotgun certificate. You can buy a sporting rifle but only after you go through an incredibly convoluted license application process (which includes being checked out by Special Branch!)

Thats a bummer. No pistols at all thats crazy.

Anyway, i have a Henry .22 Pump-Action Rifle.
My Dad has a 10mm Pistol (not sure what kind) a 9mm Berretta, a 12 Guage Over-Under, a Limited Edition Colt 'Side Saddle' Rifle, and a 12 Guage Pump-Action.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
I made the mistake of going to school in NY State, with all of their draconian gun laws (not as bad as California or Illinois, but still), so I've got nothing aside from my issue Garand for drill at this point.

I'm looking into getting either an M1 or M1A, and then something for concealment when I turn 21.

MircoT

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
Venice, Italy.
Wow. That Tanfoglio is a pretty handgun!

I don't want to know how much that pistol costs, so I won't Google it.

Just how common is the 9x21 in Italy compared to other popular pistol calibers?

It cost about 1€ per gr of weight... Don't worry: I think that is not exported... :p
In Italy 9x21 is very common. 9x19 is considered military ammonition, an therefore forbidden by law... :rolleyes:

Ciao :)

iCheese

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Thank you for creating that thread, xUKHCx. Maybe I will voice a few of my opinions in there if anyone responds to it.

Here are some more pictures, to keep the thread going.

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3297.jpg

Some more pictures of my Glocks

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

pointandclick, nice collection, and I really like the little rack that you made for your guns!

killr_b, super awesome 1911 :D I want one, but I don't really want to add another caliber to the collection right now... maybe if I reloaded. Take more pics of your firearms!

QuantumLo0p, I wish I had an SBR to show you :(

And to everyone in the UK, thanks for sharing information regarding your laws, and also thank you RedTomato for sharing that story.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I have to admit I've never been much of a Glock fan - they are just ugly guns IMO. However, The first Glock I ever shot was a 10mm, and I have to say it felt well balanced, functioned flawlessly and appears made to a very high standard. I can see why they are so popular.

But if I was in the market for a new handgun I would probably be leaning towards an HK USP, 1911 or maybe a Beretta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.