Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seanasaur

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
I've read various places that coverflow is faster with this version. Also, the clock / battery indicator "screen saver" has been removed from audio playback without continual backlight use.

Can anyone confirm these or any other changes since updating?

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2005
Screen Saver not gone, It just takes a while to show up.

As for coverflow.... it's still painful to use to me, and takes far too long to scroll through to the end.

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
cover flow not any better

I think its for the iPod Classic
It's for the nano as well, (at least that's what I have.)

No indication as to what it does though, everything seems to be exactly the same so far.

The thing about the cover-flow art being "teh snappier" is that this is what is said pretty much of every release, and it never really is. It's a safe bet that if the iPod can't cache 20 megs of cover art for longer than a second or two (and it hasn't ever been able to so far), then it's likely a "hard" memory problem and won't be solved on this model at all.

Really disappointing that Apple didn't foresee this problem at the beginning and simply put an extra cache chip in for the cover-art though. It means the current nano "phatty" is a a stop-gap product "only barely works" and probably won't survive beyond the next iteration.

The syncing bugs, like the random inability to sync calendars and/or contacts seem to still be in effect. The iPod still says "syncing contacts and calendars" every time but nothing actually syncs. I have had this turned on since the first day of the product release and I think it's synced my contacts maybe three times and my calendars once only. :rolleyes:

The only other bug that I am aware of and have experienced lately is the thing where random songs are simply cut off after the first few bars. This bug is *not* fixed with the new release, so I am not sure what it was that *was* fixed (if anything).

All in all, both disappointing and under-whelming. :mad:

Nitrocide

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2005
Bristol, UK
iPod Classic 1.1.2 Update

New update. Not sure what it does, seen as its more than a x.x.# release i figured more than just bugs maybe!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
iPod Classic Firmware 1.1.2 Released

Apple has released iPod Classic Firmware 1.1.2, available via iTunes.

While Apple only specifies that the release supplies "bug fixes", various anecdotal reports on the internet and in our forums suggest that various performance has been improved, including cover flow and audio quality.

Apple released iPod Classic Firmware 1.1.1 in February that corrected a static issue when the units were placed into standby mode.

Article Link

k2spitfire88

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2008
in your mind
Does this mess the screen up like the 5g update did? and when will they update 5g iPods again-the last update put a splotch of color on my screen-only when the backlight is on though. If you know how to fix that, let me know please!

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Gash. The screen saver is still the 12-hour clock, despite the iPod clock being 24-hour. What a stupid flaw.

sebimeyer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Gash. The screen saver is still the 12-hour clock, despite the iPod clock being 24-hour. What a stupid flaw.
Sigh... I guess I'll have to write another feedback note to Apple then. AGAIN. :mad:

Seriously, how hard is it to fix something like that?

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
The update I'd like to see is to have an option to change the date format from the US standard (mm/dd/yy) to the most common international standard of (dd/mm/yy). If the option already exists, can someone tell me where to find it?

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
I've installed it on my classic. I can't believe people are saying it isn't doing anything - this has completely fixed the scroll wheel for me, no more scrolling for like 5 times around the wheel before it responds!

Franz12

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
Can anyone upload nano update to rapidshare.com, please? Need it, but can`t download directly from Itunes.. :apple:

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
It's for the nano as well, (at least that's what I have.)

No indication as to what it does though, everything seems to be exactly the same so far.

The thing about the cover-flow art being "teh snappier" is that this is what is said pretty much of every release, and it never really is. It's a safe bet that if the iPod can't cache 20 megs of cover art for longer than a second or two (and it hasn't ever been able to so far), then it's likely a "hard" memory problem and won't be solved on this model at all.

Really disappointing that Apple didn't foresee this problem at the beginning and simply put an extra cache chip in for the cover-art though. It means the current nano "phatty" is a a stop-gap product "only barely works" and probably won't survive beyond the next iteration.

Holy over-reaction Batman! You know if cover flow does not work as well as you think it should does not mean the iPod "barely works". I don't use it at all and I think the iPod Classic works great.

The synching issues you mention are legit. I wouldn't know though because I don't have a need to synch that info with an iPod.

With all the problems you seem to have with your iPod, have you sent Apple any feedback? Unless you have also done that, listing your problems here is a waste.

bearda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
I've installed it on my classic. I can't believe people are saying it isn't doing anything - this has completely fixed the scroll wheel for me, no more scrolling for like 5 times around the wheel before it responds!

Same here. That was the BIG issue I had with the classic that replaced my dead 4G. If they could just bring back the ability to put the clicker on speaker only it would be perfect.

Franz12

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
Can anyone upload nano update to rapidshare.com, please? Need it, but can`t download directly from Itunes.. :apple:

Up! Pleeeeeeeeeeease!) just upload *.ipsw from C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Up! Pleeeeeeeeeeease!) just upload *.ipsw from C:\Documents and Settings\[USERNAME]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

OMG it's a stupid update. Why do you NEED it so baaaaad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.