Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huhwtfisthis?

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
i have a macbook with the standard 1GB RAM, and will need more RAM when i download Adobe's Creative Suite 3 package. I am just wondering what is the max amount of RAM that can be added to my macbook. in the system profiler it says L2 Cache: 4 GB, does that mean i can put in 4 more GB into my macbook, or can i only put in 3GB making 4 when added to the 1GB that came standard on my mac?

JNB

macrumors 604
Current series (and the last, though it won't use all of it) is 2 X 2GB, or 4GB total. So the max you can have if you have a single 1GB stick and don't want to replace it is 3GB (the original 1 X 1GB, + 1 X 2GB).

This info is all available on the Apple Support site for your machine, btw. All the major RAM resellers also have online configurators. Current street price for a full 4GB is $80-$100.

huhwtfisthis?

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2008
thank you,
just to clarify what u said, i can get a 1gb stick and a 2gb stick for my macbook, and thats the maximum amount i can get?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The point here is you need to know what version of MacBook you have

If you have the 2.0 GHz machine, you could have a CoreDuo or a Core2Duo
You can tell under the Apple Manu : About this Mac

If it is the CoreDuo, you can install only 2 GB ( 2 x 1 GB SODIMMs)

If it is the Core2Duo, you can install 3 GB ( 2 GB + 1 GB ) or 4 GB ( 2 x 2 GB )

The early Core2Duos can recognize only 3 GD of the 4 GB if you were to install 2 x 2 GB. Starting with the SantaRosa models in 2007, they can recognize the full 4 GB

If this is the 2.0 GHz machine in your sig, then it is a Pre-SantaRosa and will recognize 3 GB only. There is a small benefit to installing the 4 GB because you will get a 6% - 8% speed boost from the matching pair.

Welcome to MacRumors.
We encourage you to Search the forums and look in the Guides because we get the same questions every day of the week and it takes a lot of time to answer them. Also, when asking questions please be specific about the model of machine you have, that way we don't have to guess, or write answers for each possible scenario.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.