Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
OK, I got tired of the endless bug and problems threads, so let's share some cool tricks you've found in Panther to share knowledge and a little sunshine.

Here's some cool things I've found:

1. When you are command tabbing, you can click 'H' to hide the app selected or 'M' to minimize it.
2. With command tab held down, you can mouse click on an app to go to it. (great when you have dozens of apps open.)
3. Closing the System Preferences window now shuts down the Sys Pref "app." no more quitting afterwards in a second step.

What little gems have you found?

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I haven't had any, but this morning, bleary-eyed at 6AM, the office called and I had to connect to the VPN, open terminal, open RDC, open a Java app, open Mail, pretty soon there are windows all over the screen, and I said to myself, let me try this F9 thing. It worked great! What a terrific feature!

Taavi

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2003
Also when Alt-Tabbing you can hit Q to quit the selected application. VERY useful if you have 20 or so open and need to close some. Apple put thought into this OS (not that they didn't in other ones).

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
Originally posted by Taavi
Also when Alt-Tabbing you can hit Q to quit the selected application. VERY useful if you have 20 or so open and need to close some. Apple put thought into this OS (not that they didn't in other ones).
This (and hitting H for hide), both work in Jaguar, but it does show that Apple was putting thought into the OS.

akitzmil

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2003
Mundelein IL
Finder Recordable

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but the Finder is now recordable in the Applescript editor. It wasn't in Jaguar.

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
Very Cool App Switcher

Hit command-tab and your application icons show up in the middle of the screen. you can tab over to whichever one you like. Very nifty.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Re: Very Cool App Switcher

Originally posted by MatthewStorm
Hit command-tab and your application icons show up in the middle of the screen. you can tab over to whichever one you like. Very nifty.

Throw in a shift key and it tabs backwards. Again handy if loads of apps open.

-BWhaler
Great thread idea, should be a sticky. Arn?

art399

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2003
Here's a good one, once you get used to using it: In any facet of OS X that uses the text system, you can press Option-Esc and if you have something typed in it will auto-complete and give you a drop down list of choices that are matched:
a) based on what you've typed so far into that document and
b) based on the dictionary

So for instance if i type in "Opt" right now and hit the key combo Option-Esc will be at the top even though it's not in the dictionary because i used that earlier in this post. :cool:

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
Re: Cool Panther Tricks

Originally posted by BWhaler
3. Closing the System Preferences window now shuts down the Sys Pref "app." no more quitting afterwards in a second step.

didn't apple make a big fuss when 10.0.0 was launched that all apps will now have to be quitted instead of just closed? it seems a bit contradictory

tati

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2003
YUL
Since the Feature or Bug thread has been given notice, I'll post these here. Some of these have been covered on other sites, so please excuse any duplication:

When in Exposé one can cycle through the available windows by pressing Tab. Very nifty. Just wish it would work with the application windown choice in Exposé a bit more consistently.

No need any longer for Command-Shift-Tab to go backwards in the pop-up menu. Just use Command-` (the key just above Tab). Much easier.

In a new Finder windown, double-clicking the bar that separates the side-bar from the rest will collapse the side bar completely.

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au
Originally posted by art399
Here's a good one, once you get used to using it: In any facet of OS X that uses the text system, you can press Option-Esc and if you have something typed in it will auto-complete

or the F5 key.

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
Originally posted by tati

No need any longer for Command-Shift-Tab to go backwards in the pop-up menu. Just use Command-` (the key just above Tab). Much easier.

That don't work on a French keyboard iBook :mad:

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
The shift key effect on animations has been taken away from Finder windows when opening or closing. The nice thing is it works with Expose (keyboard only, not hotcorners), changing between system preferences, and still minimizing. :cool:

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Originally posted by art399
Here's a good one, once you get used to using it: In any facet of OS X that uses the text system, you can press Option-Esc and if you have something typed in it will auto-complete and give you a drop down list of choices that are matched:
a) based on what you've typed so far into that document and
b) based on the dictionary

So for instance if i type in "Opt" right now and hit the key combo Option-Esc will be at the top even though it's not in the dictionary because i used that earlier in this post. :cool:

Hey this is a cool tip. But how is this useful? So I get this list of words by pressing option + esc (or F5), what good is it if I can't insert these words into what I'm typing? repeat things such as long tricky last names would be nice to auto insert but how? What am I missing. I've tried enter, return, arrow key, copy and paste, double click.

art399

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2003
Originally posted by j33pd0g
Hey this is a cool tip. But how is this useful? So I get this list of words by pressing option + esc (or F5), what good is it if I can't insert these words into what I'm typing? repeat things such as long tricky last names would be nice to auto insert but how? What am I missing. I've tried enter, return, arrow key, copy and paste, double click.

TAB ;)

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Re: Re: Cool Panther Tricks

Originally posted by Choppaface
didn't apple make a big fuss when 10.0.0 was launched that all apps will now have to be quitted instead of just closed? it seems a bit contradictory

Actually, that's how is was in OS 9, too.

Dan

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
I need to reiterate what someone said because it appears to have gone unnoticed, but the command-tab tricks to switch programs, quit, or hide apps were all available in the past. The only thing that's changes is that there is a bigger graphical representation in the middle of the screen instead of just looking at the dock. Windows has this too I believe. Glad it's on OS X now too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.