Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
I know this has to do with the lack of physcial buttons on the iPhone, but nearly all the games use the accelerometer to control the game (I'm not talking about Super Monkey Ball, because that makes sense to use the accelerometer). Anyone else sick of seeing all these games using these controls? Couldn't there be some controls where you just touch the left (or right) part of the screen to go in that direction (In my head, I'm thinking of a racing game), and maybe just a quick shake to shoot something. Am I alone in thinking this?

NDimichino

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
New Jersey
I know this has to do with the lack of physcial buttons on the iPhone, but nearly all the games use the accelerometer to control the game (I'm not talking about Super Monkey Ball, because that makes sense to use the accelerometer). Anyone else sick of seeing all these games using these controls? Couldn't there be some controls where you just touch the left (or right) part of the screen to go in that direction (In my head, I'm thinking of a racing game), and maybe just a quick shake to shoot something. Am I alone in thinking this?

The accelerometer is awesome and these game are going to be insane. I had NES on my phone when it was jailbroken and it was impossible to play because although the app gave you buttons to press, you couldn't feel them so you would constantly be missing them during games.

The accelerometer is going to allow for really unique games, and at this point, any games are better than nothing. The games didn't even come out yet and you're complaining? You might really like them. Give it a shot.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA

In the Keynote, the last game (by Digital Legends) shown was controlled exactly the way you are describing, using the left and right of the screen to control the character, and a quick shake to jump. So they are out there.

So far, most of what you have seen has been showing development-type people how things can be controlled...interesting ways of using what the phone is capable of. Everybody knows you can touch a screen. That's old news. They are simply using the accelerometer-based games to show what CAN be done.

uhhitsjames

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2007
Boston, MA
I'm sure there will be plenty of games like how you are describing once they launch the app store. I think the accelerometer is a cool way to play a game, but I also see what you are talking about.

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Man Im not digging motion tilting I mean has anyone tried it. the screen consistently changes and your view is alternated all the time resulting in some pretty bad gameplay.. yes is can be done, but tilting the screen away from my view to move something is kind of dumb.. IM looking forward to more finger point and click type games...

Like the old days with Adventure Games..

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
Are you kidding me, we've been forced to use controllers and control pads for years now. It provides more to the game and requires far more skill than just hitting buttons. I also find that they are far more fun (and frustrating) at the same time.

twist2b

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
North Carolina
not to sound like a jerk to nintendo, but there is a snes emulator for the itouch and iPhone..... Though I dont even think there are legal restrictions on snes games anymore.

edit - and you do NOT have to buy hardware, you just use the touch screen at the bottom are the buttons.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
Hmmm, I would've thought there would have been more people agreeing with me. I get really frustrated every-time I hear about a game that you control by "tilting" your iPhone. I really did like the look of that physics sort of game. Where you touch and rotate little things on the screen to make water droplets or something go to a specific place. I thought that was pretty unique.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
As listening to MacBreak a few months ago, Andy Ihnatko brought up how easy it would be for game developers to chose their own placement for "buttons" on the phone. You could even develop a D-Pad, think HUD style, that simply is overlaid upon the actual video.

It can be done easily. I just think developers are getting a kick out of the ease of incorporating the accelerometer. Don't get me wrong, some games are perfect for it, but many others can be on their way once they try out some other possibilities for controls.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Hmmm, I would've thought there would have been more people agreeing with me. I get really frustrated every-time I hear about a game that you control by "tilting" your iPhone. I really did like the look of that physics sort of game. Where you touch and rotate little things on the screen to make water droplets or something go to a specific place. I thought that was pretty unique.

Do you mean Enigmo? Made by the same people as Cro Mag Rally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.