Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

181308-isighthd_400.jpg

One reader has found references to an unreleased High Definition USB iSight in Apple's QuickTime system files. The line is specifically labeled "Next Generation USB iSight" in QuickTime's localizable.strings and also carries a reference of 'iSight HD'. We're not sure how old this reference is, but a quick Google search shows no previous discussion of it. Still, it remains possible that this could be an old reference to a project that is no longer planned.

The iSight was an external Firewire webcam that Apple sold between 2003 and 2006. Apple stopped selling the stand-alone iSight in December of 2006. Apple has since integrated iSight cameras into their laptops and iMac, but their external displays remain camera-less.

Article Link

rockos

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2007
nice...

how sweet would that be to have a new isight with new displays for mac pros.

or even higher res in macbook, air , pro and imac

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
I predict a iSight HD (Mac + PC) rollout next June to coincide with the new iPhone with video chat. Also iChat for Windows. That way both Windows PCs and Macs can video call each other as well as call iPhones, and iPhones can call both Macs and PCs with the service installed.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
I predict a iSight HD (Mac + PC) rollout next June to coincide with the new iPhone with video chat. Also iChat for Windows. That way both Windows PCs and Macs can video call each other as well as call iPhones, and iPhones can call both Macs and PCs with the service installed.

all to go along with new acds

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom

It's plausible, but why would Apple go back rather than forward? As the article states Apple discontinued the line of standalone USB iSight cameras in 2006, and seeing as though this would be the only logical way they could bring iSight to PC, I just can't see it.

However Apple just loves building eco-systems and interconnectivity between it's products. We can see this with iPod, Mac and iTunes ...
so the iChat integration you are depicting could happen.

R-Fly

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
It's plausible, but why would Apple go back rather than forward? As the article states Apple discontinued the line of standalone USB iSight cameras in 2006, and seeing as though this would be the only logical way they could bring iSight to PC, I just can't see it.

However Apple just loves building eco-systems and interconnectivity between it's products. We can see this with iPod, Mac and iTunes ...
so the iChat integration you are depicting could happen.

R-Fly

I would love it if they could get iChat to work easily beween Macs first before theyconsider expanding the service to the iPhone and Windows...

El Carbonite

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
All of the built-in iSights appear as "USB Class Video" or something similar in other applications since they use a USB connection.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It's about time. The 640x480 resolution on the current iSights is pathetic.

The iSight in most Macs now has a higher resolution than that, iChat caps it to 640x480 for video chat. If you select it as a source in iMovie you can see the full res.

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I have the iSight and I really like it. Everybody I video chat with loves the quality.
I still wonder why they discontinued them.

mrrydogg

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
Bay Area
I'd be happy with an update to ACD. This was "rumored" a long time ago and then fizzled out. The ACD are still gorgeous, but a built-in camera and some higher res options would be sick.

Alas, as the previous poster stated, this reference has been around for over a year......no rumor here.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Since Apple stopped selling iSight, they have recommended the Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision which has a resolution of 960 x 720. It's the only web-cam that Apple sells in its online store.

I believe the sensors in Apple's newer Macs are close to that resolution.

Regarding the USB references, the current built-in iSight cameras use an internal USB 2 connection.

As I recall, the EU forced Apple to take iSight off the market because of heavy lead concentrations. I'm not sure if this is why they took it out of all markets. Anyone know?

Edit: Forgot to make my point. Based on the fact that the internal iSights are USB 2 and that the newer ones probably could be said to have "HD" resolution (whether or not they use that resolution), the references may be to already existing built-in iSights.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
As long as it has a 'soft-focus' (like for ageing movie stars) - I'll be fine with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.