Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Since Apple stopped selling iSight, they have recommended the Logitech QuickCam Ultra Vision which has a resolution of 960 x 720. It's the only web-cam that Apple sells in its online store.

I have one of these and I don't think the quality of the video is as good as the cam in the new iMacs...

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
I have been waiting for this for a long time, especially in new Cinema Displays.

I am all for:
iSight HD
New Cinema Displays w/ built in iSight HD
iChat for WindowsVideo iChat on iPhone 3.0
Video iChat on iPod Touch
Video iChat on Apple TV

Wow that would all be awesome!

Now technically would this even be possible with the average high speed Internet connection? And what about hardware requirements like graphics cards etc.???

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
a lot of pro settings still only use mac pros or pmg5s. This would be great for conferencing since the iSight has been gone for awhile. Gotta say though I've had the original iSight since the month it came out and also have a MacBook with a built in and the MacBook iSight KILLS the original in quality.

I think iChat for PC would be great along with an HD iSight.

Though the original camera has a far wider aperture, allowing it to capture more ambient light than the built in iSight.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I would love a new iSight. I'm getting a Mac Pro once Nehalem hits, and I'd like an iSight for when I'm not using it as a number-cruncher.

The old iSight was a piece of art. No webcams can come close to looking as good as the iSight.

I hate Logitech products as a rule - they're all overcrowded with useless features and bloated software. I much prefer Apple products - they do it right the first time. With one model. Not a million different varieties, each slightly more irritating and expensive than the last.

stephenli

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
though my ADC 23 inch is still working quite well, I would be happy to purchase if they release 30 inch ACD with an HDMI, Dual link DVI, Display Port, LED back-lid and, iSight
Then I would purchase another PS3 for my room. hahahah

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 8gb: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

oh yeah this is not a planned leak

mdodd

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2007
Montclair, NJ
Well, actually, I'm surprised no one has pointed this out yet...

Does anyone remember that letter Steve Jobs wrote saying that:

Apple plans to completely eliminate the use of arsenic in all of its displays by the end of 2008.

Apple plans to reduce and eventually eliminate the use of mercury by transitioning to LED backlighting for all displays when technically and economically feasible.

Basically, that would leave the current generation of Cinema Displays and the MacBook which are rumored to be redesigned/spec bumped in September. Interesting...

You can read the full 'A Greener Apple' here.

bbbensen

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Why would we need a new iSight HD if iChat video confrencing doesn't work half the time?

They should just slap a normal one on the Apple displays, and save some money.:eek:

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
You're all correct. Not that you need yet someone else to say so.

Macs based on the Santa Rosa platform have the higher resolution 1280 x 1024 iSights.

Is that just Macbook Pros or is that also for regular Macbooks? I have a Macbook (santa rosa) and the resolution is only 640x480 when I record in iMovie. I also recently had my iSight replaced though as well, so I would like to know if it is supposed to be a higher resolution.

Thanks.

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
I've got it!

:apple:TV anyone? I guess we can put that USB port to good use now.

EDIT: I need to start reading the whole thread. Sorry.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
My February 3rd time machine backup has this same string. Its nothing new. Actually its very old.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
My iSight has to be the only piece of tech I've got that's actually now worth more than I paid for it 3 years ago...

I still really like it, they should release something for all the Mac Pro / Mini users out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.