Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
For the last month i sometimes just get a bouncing icon in the dock when my MPB has been in sleep mode, its only on the odd occasion, i have the hold the power button and force a re-boot.

Anyone else seeing this issue??

cheers phil

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
holding the power button because an icon is bouncing is not a great counter measure.

i think you can turn that off somewhere in the preferences.
but ya as stated, bounce means it needs and ounce of your attention:eek:

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
When a computer goes to sleep, the network card gets turned off so you lose connection to the internet. The bouncing icon after you wake your mac is probably from a program trying to get your attention to alert you that you lost connection at some point.

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Thanks for the info, its usually Safari & mail that i use first so that fits with the network, although usualy Safari just reports no network.

I'll try a non network app next time and see what happens.

I searched for info on bouncing icons and didn't find any info on actions to take.

I'm a new switcher from a PC and turning it off always worked for a PC :D

What's the best course of actions to take??

Many Thanks Phil

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks for the info, its usually Safari & mail that i use first so that fits with the network, although usualy Safari just reports no network.

I'll try a non network app next time and see what happens.

I searched for info on bouncing icons and didn't find any info on actions to take.

I'm a new switcher from a PC and turning it off always worked for a PC :D

What's the best course of actions to take??

Many Thanks Phil

Well there's your problem!! Bouncing Icons in the PC world isn't good! ;)

Are you wireless? I have seen a post or 2 here or on macosxhints.com's forums talking about losing wireless until reboot because of sleep. I do not know the cause, but clicking on the icons will stop their bouncing, and then checking for connectivity. I would bet your seeing your wireless dropping, and either not coming back up, or just not coming back up soon enough.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Usually a bouncing icon in the dock (apart from when you're launching the app) means the app needs your attention.

Just click on the bouncing icon and you may even see a little dialogue box telling you what the problem is.

No need to reboot your poor Mac everytime. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.