Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
The Inquirer is not the most reliable blog ever, laugh at you. All of their predictions that come out right are stolen from real sites, as opposed to their own made up BS that has no correlation to the real world.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
OH MY GOD! I've just realised that it's *possible* that a metor might fall to earth and destroy my house - I just had to have my house put on the market so that I can try and sell it before anyone else finds out!

DAMN!

Well if many mathematicians and astrologers pinpoints that a meteor will hit my house with a 100% chance within the next 3 years, hell I'd just sell the house/land and move my ass asap.

I guess you can stay and die.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I don't get all of this craziness going around... My MBP is still going strong and I've never had a problem yet. as a matter of fact I'm currently exporting my final cut project as I'm typing this and its cooking hot but shows no signs of a near catastrophic failure. I played the orange box a couple weeks ago for several hours (until i beat it) and it ran strong. now i understand that my MBP doesn't represent the entire population of MBPs and that some people do have problems. I still plan to get apple care before my warranty is up and (knock on wood) if it eventually does die, then apple is going to have to do something (either fix or replace) to make it right. actually this may be a good thing, when/if my MBP dies say two years down the road, then apple just may send me a brand new current gen MBP to replace it.

haha, for some reason, i'm not worried about this rumour because i'm kind of expecting to get a new macbook pro under warranty.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
Apple wont be too happy giving us all new MBPs under warranty. They'll figure out a way to minimize cost so that NVDA takes most of the financial wrap. Still, I am scared about all this because I rather have no downtime at all then a new logic board with an upgraded ATI (best case scenario, imo).

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I had an hp Pavillion zd7000 with an nVidia GeForce FX5700. That GPU had a significant failure rate and resulted in a class-action lawsuit being filed against HP for selling a "known defective product".

I had my zd7000 for three years. I used it every day, for hours on end, as my only PC. I did everything on it. And it never gave me a day of trouble.

I expect no less from my MacBook Pro. And if the GPU does die, that's why I have AppleCare.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
The thing that worries me the most is that since the nvidia gpu is downlocked under osx I think our gpu will last a little over 3 years.

So if your not a gamer or 3d intensive user, your mbp could fail just after the apple care warranty ended.

What makes me feel iffy is that I would have to run something 3d intensive off and on every day until I get the gpu to die so that I can get a replacement sometime later this year or next year. But if I remember correctly it takes 3 repairs for apple to swap out to the newest same model mbp.

liquidh2o

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2004
Alabama
It's an interesting predicement because all Apple can do right now is replace your laptop w/ another one that has the same GPU since they're the only GPU in the newest MBP's.

I'll be buying Applecare near the one year mark, and sell the MBP once it has less than one year of the applecare left. This is my typical upgrade cycle, I don't like owning a big ticket item that isn't under warranty

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
I guess we should all take up gaming on our books now. lol.

Something else, I am not a thermal engineer or know much about laptop building, but wouldn't the fact that our graphics chip is built into our logic board mean that apple put it on there? And that epoxy or whatever thermal connection is put on there, apple set up? Not sure if this would change anything, but the fact that apple is still selling the chip makes me wonder if they think theyre ok. I don't know. Ignore me if this is jibberish.

ben.mcmahan

macrumors member
May 6, 2008
I am looking into a MBP with a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT new from apple, I can wait until November at the latest, what should I do?

get one for a great deal on the upcoming "great Ebay MBP fire sale of 2008"...

/sarcasm

i for one, will be surprised if this ends up being a widespread unsolved problem...either
a) lots of laptops will be affected, and apple will take care of it with a wholesale solution
b) few laptops will actually show a problem, and apple will take care of it on a case by case basis.

what should you do?
buy applecare, but with a laptop, you should do that anyway.

lucero1148

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2006
Buying into Apple Care is almost pointless if your MBP is going to be in the shop everytime your GPU dies. Most people use their MBP for work and a little for goofing off playing games to have your laptop out of action for a week or more is a supreme inconvenienceand that's putting it mildly.

I've had 3 major repairs on my MBP peplacing the HD and 2 logic boards. If you don't game on your laptop you won't stress out the GPU and I would gather you'll never see issues with this Nvidia snafu. However for anyone not knowing that this Nvidia flaw will self destruct if used for gaming it'll be a rude shock for them once their logic board needs replacing.

Apple Care is great protection but replacing a faulty MBP with a brand new MBP with the same faulty GPU isn't an answer to the problem. We pay top dollar to get a laptop that we can depend on to do what we want when we want it without fear of it burning itself out with minimal use.

Realistically can Apple find a fix for this? I doubt it as it wouldn't be possible to replace the Nvidia chip with a ATI GPU on the same logic board and expect it to be a seamless repair.

Patrick

OLD ELPASO

macrumors member
May 28, 2005
So after reading the thread, I still have some questions...

-Has NVIDIA issued an official statement? (Link?:))

-Has there been any similar issues to this in Apple's past? What was their response?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Crap.

I've had this MBP for nearly a year, and during that time I've played a hell of a lot of hours playing games on Windows (particularly Pro Evolution Soccer 2008), and damn the GPU doesn't half get hot. Hope this doesn't mean it's life-span is going to be crap.

I have noticed my fans running 6000RPM when there is no CPU load and the CPU temperature being low, so is this because of the GPU card being too hot?

lucero1148

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2006
Not a huge shock for people who backup frequently and have a desktop (or two ;) )

You don't seem to get it do you that there is a principal involved here. Not everyone is as fortunate or as smug as you.

Apple has an aura of creating a superior product that is cutting edge, reliable and stylish and they've been very successful at it. As consumers we buy into that Apple mystique and expect the products we buy from Apple to live up to those expectations. Apple Care is great and nearly everything Apple puts out on the market is better than anything else out there but what we have here is a major product flaw that needs to be addressed.

As a matter of fact I did back up all my data on my external storage, so I'm not worried about accessing my data once I get my MBP back , BUT till then I have to twiddle my thumbs for it to come back from the Apple repair shop.
Patrick

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
You don't seem to get it do you that there is a principal involved here. Not everyone is as fortunate or as smug as you.

they arent? you can get a decent desktop for like 300 bucks...

Apple has an aura of creating a superior product that is cutting edge, reliable and stylish and they've been very successful at it. As consumers we buy into that Apple mystique and expect the products we buy from Apple to live up to those expectations.

name an apple product that is more reliable than one created by another brand

...maybe you just dont browse these forums much...

///alpinepower

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
I bought 4 of the SR macbook pros last July/August and have not had a problem or failure yet. I will let you know what happens.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Since its been official that all 8600m GT cards are defective that we can only prolong the gpu failing..

Ok so this makes me feel like I've just gotten kicked in the crotch for the 2nd time. So this means the 3 year apple care I bought might be a lottery pick.

For the people who hardly ever games and reaches a low temperature of their gpu cards would take much longer for the gpu to die and what if your gpu dies a year after the 3 year warranty~

This has ruined my day, no week, no month.. no year~!!:mad:

If you believe this is true, can you conform by providing a link to it's source? Preferably a commercial site detailing the discovery and NOT a link to some blog...

Thanks.

chostwales

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Hey guys, regarding what your all saying about how is Apple going to replace a product with the same product that has a known fault, well all i can say to you is, i think they do have a plan. Let me explain:

There have been Confirmed rumors that a leaked Mac Book Pro case has been put into the open. https://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/09/leaked-maacbook-pro-casing-confirmed/

I personally believe that these new macbook pros will be released very soon. The reason why i say this is there has been a huge increased in the amount of refurbished or reduced Mac Book pros recently. Take for example, the Apple Store Refurb Centre, currently there are over 10 macbook pros available for purchase.

I think we can expect to see something within the next 4 weeks.

Best,
Nathaniel

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA

Apple has an aura of creating a superior product that is cutting edge, reliable and stylish and they've been very successful at it. As consumers we buy into that Apple mystique and expect the products we buy from Apple to live up to those expectations. Apple Care is great and nearly everything Apple puts out on the market is better than anything else out there but what we have here is a major product flaw that needs to be addressed.

As a matter of fact I did back up all my data on my external storage, so I'm not worried about accessing my data once I get my MBP back , BUT till then I have to twiddle my thumbs for it to come back from the Apple repair shop.
Patrick

I understand completely Lucero. Smug? hahahahaha. I agree the situation sucks, but you had made a blanket statement. I was just pointing out that it wasn't. Good to hear your facts. I think we all agree if this pans out to be applicable to our systems its not a good thing (duh). Relax and breath.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
If you believe this is true, can you conform by providing a link to it's source? Preferably a commercial site detailing the discovery and NOT a link to some blog...

Thanks.

If you read the blog/article you probably read that the ASIC circuitry was the culprit and that nvidia in its manufacturing process has never changed its part and they all use the defective part.

I hope this isnt true but this explains alot to why nvidia already announced its gpu problems with the 8xxxx series and taking a minor hit of $150-$200 million, which should be more than that imo.

I'm just really pissed because I love this 17" hi res mbp to death but now I'm going to have to sell it so that it wont drop in so much $$ once the montevina has arrived and the public find out more about the nvidia gpu failure rate and which it would be very very hard to sell this mbp because it wont be desired with the nvidia gpu, especially when its out of warranty in 3 years.

For me buying a mac is like a semi investment, you put alot of money into it, enjoy it during its apple care lifetime or a bit more and eventually sell it around $1000-$1350 in 4 years and use that towards a new mac.. but when you have an already defective gpu, you wont be able to sell it later because either it will be broken out of warranty or the public knows about it but probably not the latter.

team 79 krunch

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Buying into Apple Care is almost pointless if your MBP is going to be in the shop everytime your GPU dies. Most people use their MBP for work and a little for goofing off playing games to have your laptop out of action for a week or more is a supreme inconvenienceand that's putting it mildly.

I've had 3 major repairs on my MBP peplacing the HD and 2 logic boards. If you don't game on your laptop you won't stress out the GPU and I would gather you'll never see issues with this Nvidia snafu. However for anyone not knowing that this Nvidia flaw will self destruct if used for gaming it'll be a rude shock for them once their logic board needs replacing.

Apple Care is great protection but replacing a faulty MBP with a brand new MBP with the same faulty GPU isn't an answer to the problem. We pay top dollar to get a laptop that we can depend on to do what we want when we want it without fear of it burning itself out with minimal use.

Realistically can Apple find a fix for this? I doubt it as it wouldn't be possible to replace the Nvidia chip with a ATI GPU on the same logic board and expect it to be a seamless repair.

Patrick

Very true I will need my MBP everyday at school, as well as almost everyday for robotics I can't afford to have My NEW $3,479 laptop be in the shop is not an option.If this is true than Apple needs to fix the problem ASAP!

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
I think after I sell my 17" mbp I'm going back to a mac pro, at least the gpu is user replaceable...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.