Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marquito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Do new MobileMe users get the choice of their username to be a .mac address? Has anyone got any news on this.

I know existing .mac users (I have another .mac address) get to choose.
However, I just registered a new username (trial account) with MobileMe and it seems that I'm stuck with a .me address.

I want to use the new username but I really dislike the whole MobileMe schtick and was hoping to avoid it. Is the .mac address only available to legacy users.

Incidentally, the username I just registered was never available to me under the old .mac system but it was available when the service switched to MobileMe. They're obviously freeing up old unused usernames. I mention this in case it helps anyone else get the name they thought had already been taken.

However, for me, it's a bummer if I can only use it as .me.

Why wouldn't they give you the choice?

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
According to the info published on the MobileMe website, you can't.

pol0001

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2008
London
.me

As a new user you are stuck with .me since it is the new server. I guess the old .mac adresses are still valid for existing .Mac subscribers because it would mean to much trouble to force everyone to use a new email adress.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.