Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Make your iPod Brushed Metal?

• Yes

Votes: 19 10.2%
  • No

Votes: 86 46.0%
  • Maybe in the future

Votes: 82 43.9%

• Total voters

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
I've forgotten about this thread. I saw it around November and thought "maybe once mine get's more scratched." Well, a little over a month ago, while i was in wood shop class at school I "brush metalized" mine:) Though with how rough I am with mine, it's actually starting to get smooth again in certain spots:eek:

mixmacface

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
in the 7th layer of hell.
awe no! I would never do that to my ipod!! i put an invisible shield on it the first week i bought it. besides the blemishes with the cover, my ipod back looks brand new. my old ipod was scratched so badly i hated it. ack! i don't like that look at all!

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
awe no! I would never do that to my ipod!! i put an invisible shield on it the first week i bought it. besides the blemishes with the cover, my ipod back looks brand new. my old ipod was scratched so badly i hated it. ack! i don't like that look at all!

Same here, I hate scratches, but I got sick of carrying a case around and let the iPod Touch go naked. Now I get sick everytime I look at the back of it. I'm waiting for this thing to crap out on me so I can use my Apple Care and get a new refurbished one.

man-bear-pig

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
I did this with my 3rd gen iPod, I built a lego structure around it to keep my sponge straight,

I have yet to find a sponge that has enough tooth to do a good job on my Touch now,

Any recommendations ?

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
Nah, seeing that the example picture looks scrubbed down more than it looks like brushed metal xD It's a good idea though once the surface is already so covered in random scratches that not much can go wrong anymore.

bindle

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2008
Too early to do it now, but I probably will at some point. This is how it usually goes:
I first baby the iPod in a case for a few months. Then I get rid of the case once I've forgotten how much I spent on buying the iPod. Then a little while later the scratches are at the point where brushed metal would make it look less beat up than it is and so I go at it.

jaimerider

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
facepalm

fp.jpg

You just bumped a 2 year old thread.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
That looks awesome. I sure won't do it. I couldn't stand it, especially lowering the resale value. Or maybe boosting it.... Special edition...

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
I did it with My Ipod touch! My back was like brand new, No scratches at all!:eek:
But I tried it and my results were great. I think I might even prefer this backing instead of that mirror chrome backing.

too bad the image is so BLURRY.

bass93

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
I did this on my 1st gen Nano. Except that I used 400 grit sand paper. It gave it a nicer grippy texture. And made it look AMAZING compared to all the scratches it had. I got a lot of questions about it.

wootwootman

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
was 400 grit enough to not leave scratches? i know this sounds stupid, but im not a big fan of the vertical lines, and i want to get rid of the chrome backing (i dont want a case either)

bass93

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
was 400 grit enough to not leave scratches? i know this sounds stupid, but im not a big fan of the vertical lines, and i want to get rid of the chrome backing (i dont want a case either)

No, but it gave VERY fine lines. If you don't want lines, try using Colgate toothpaste. I've heard that that works wonders. And if you don't want the chrome, and just brushed aluminum, buy some of the "whitening" Colgate that has heavier abrasive chemicals in it, and that should give you the line free, brushed aluminum look. Just apply it evenly with you finger. Let dry. And gently remove with a damp cloth. People use that on jewelry all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.