Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MK12MOD1

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
hotmail

try this
This is how it works:
1. Visit http://join.msn.com/
2. Click on "Hotmail for mobile phones".
3. Read the information thoroughly! Also the pricing part.
4. Now click on "register now" and after that click "register now" again.
5. Chose your mobile operator and fill in your mobile phone number.
6. Finish the rest of the sign-up process. Don't check the boxes for Hotmail alerts and MSN alerts!
7. In the sign-up settings specify to NOT receive any SMS alerts for Hotmail messages. Leave the other settings to stay as specified in your Hotmail account.
8. Finish the subscription. You'll now receive an activation SMS with a 4 digit code. Enter this code on the activation page. This is the only sms you'll receive and pay through your mobile carrier.
9. After the subscription visit your Hotmail account with your web browser. Now go to "options"=>"more options".
10. In the section "Customize your mail" go to option "mobile alerts for new messages" and make sure the option "None. Never send me mobile alerts" is selected. You will never receive any alert sms by setting this option so you will stay free of charges! Press save.
11. In the section "Manage your account" visit "Forward mail to another e-mail account".
12. Fill in any e-mail address you want you Hotmail to be forwarded to, for instance your Gmail account. Press save and confirm the setting by clicking the link in the e-mail that has been sent to the specified e-mail address. The setting has now been accepted by Hotmail!
13. Configure your Gmail or other mail account on the iPhone (if you haven't already done so) and receive your Hotmail messages on the iPhone!

Have fun!

Attention! If you make a wrong setting, you might receive mobile sms alerts and it'll cost you!
Pay attention to what you're doing. It's your responsibility to make the right settings!
For me it works perfect and it's free

I'm pretty sure you have to have a paid account to do this. At least my free one only allows me to forward to other msn accounts

reyajaswal

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
what i do ...??

Hi there ..
When typing, here's a quick way to input a period. Click on the .?123 button and slide your finger over to the period (or comma) and release. A period will be written, and the keyboard will go back to letters. Alternatively, click the .?123 button with your left thumb and tap the period button with the other. Again, you'll get the period and the keyboard will switch back to letters.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Hi there ..
When typing, here's a quick way to input a period. Click on the .?123 button and slide your finger over to the period (or comma) and release. A period will be written, and the keyboard will go back to letters. Alternatively, click the .?123 button with your left thumb and tap the period button with the other. Again, you'll get the period and the keyboard will switch back to letters.

Not to be rude, but this has already been posted 2 or 3 times in this thread if you had bothered to read it. ;)

cantankerously

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Not really a tip but make sure to open outlook before you want to sync new appointments added from the phone. A dialog box should appear which ask you want to make the appropriate changes.

cmattern80

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
im new

i have only had my iphone for 4 days. i bought it used and from my home screen if i go to setting then general then about at the top of my phone it says mikey's iphone. Can anyone tell me how i can change this? my names not mikey haha

jdec141

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2008
i have only had my iphone for 4 days. i bought it used and from my home screen if i go to setting then general then about at the top of my phone it says mikey's iphone. Can anyone tell me how i can change this? my names not mikey haha

just a shot in the dark but when you sync it with itunes just change the name in there when its on the screen.

bperkins

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2002
GA
You can change it when you plug into iTunes and you are NOT Syncing. Just double click on on the name under devices and it will allow you to change.

MemphisDave

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I want to choose more than one person to send a text to. Maybe I'm missing something but i've read the users manual and watched the iphone video on apple and nothing's mentioned.

on the iPhone 3G in Chapter 7, you just touch the blue X for contact list..
from the iPhone 3G manual

Click to Enlarge

I think everyone gave up on the mass txt thing. I tried it today and it worked on my 3G.

MemphisDave

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Print screen on your iphone

Credit goes to CNET.COM for this one.

While using your iphone, hold down the home button and quickly tap the power/sleep button on the top of the phone, and you will see your screen flash.

From there, go to photos and you will see a print screen of what you were doing. I tried this on my email, the web, and Yelp, not sure if this works on every app or just certain ones.

You definately have to tap it pretty quick on the top, hold down the home button, but DONT hold down the power just tap it real quick.

tswiers

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Denver, CO
I want to choose more than one person to send a text to. Maybe I'm missing something but i've read the users manual and watched the iphone video on apple and nothing's mentioned.

You go into SMS and click on the compose button on top right. in the To: field you type in someones name and then you can click on the + button next to it to add as many people as you want. :) :apple:

tswiers

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Denver, CO
you can get on the internet DURING a call! You can only do this if your connected to a WIFI network (it wont work via edge), just hit the home key and click on Safari. Now your surfing while talking! The person on the other end can't hear the keyboard clicks either!

found this out randomly last night :)

You CAN get on the internet during a call even if you dont have wi-fi on. Maybe only on 3G which is what I was using but it worked for several sites I tried while on a call....

You can also do just about anything else on your phone while on a call. I tried taking photos, texting, launching other apps, and they all worked. To return to a call, you just make sure you are back to one of the home screens and click on the top of the screen where it is green and says: "Touch to return to call"!

AND if you have your phone on speaker it will transmit any sounds you might produce with an app, like PhoneSaber. ;-)

Have fun!
:apple:

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Screen Shot

Not sure if this was mentioned:
To take a screen shot of current page on the iPhone:
Hold the home key down and press the lock down like a shutter.
Your screenshot will be saved to your camera roll.

ucsdmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Not sure if this was mentioned:
To take a screen shot of current page on the iPhone:
Hold the home key down and press the lock down like a shutter.
Your screenshot will be saved to your camera roll.

it was mentioned ... ... four posts above you... .. :rolleyes:

saladiro

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
New York
this may not interest everyone, but it definitely interested me:

Adding FULL SCREEN Pictures for Each Contact:

you can go into the Address Book application on a Mac and drag and drop every contact's picture, BUT doing so will only show up as a TINY icon when that person calls you. it is useless to try to figure out who's calling using this method.

SO, there are two ways to make the picture show up on the entire screen when they are calling. but first, you must have some-what good resolution pics of the contacts you want to add photos for. i'm younger, so i used facebook to gather all the pics of my friends and then used old pics for family and such.
i suggest just getting pics of as many contacts as you can and copying them into a separate folder and be sure you sync that folder to your iPhone thru iTunes.

Easy way: after you sync and transfer the pics to your phone, go to the "Photos" app and select the folder you added (i used "Contact Pics"). click the first pic so it goes into single photo view, and then click the button on the lower left. if you dont see any buttons, touch anywhere on the screen ONCE and they will show up. now click "Assign to Contact" and choose the contact you wish to assign it to. now you can move, scale, resize the pic to your needs, and then click "Set Photo".
then proceed to the next pic and repeat. i was able to go thru all 211 of my contacts fairly quickly surprisingly enough.

or

Harder way: go to the "Contacts" tab while in the Phone application. click on the contact you want to change, and click "Edit" in the top right corner. now click "Add Photo" in the upper left. click "Choose Existing Photo", choose the pic you want, resize and move it to your liking and click Set Photo. rinse and repeat.

and you're done. now whenever someone calls you you can easily see who it is even if you cant read their name.
this works especially well for people you know by face but maybe not by name, or, like in my case this past Saturday, you're at a party and you meet a chick and get her number, but wait, you dont remember her at all. well, go to your iPhone's camera's photos and find out, then add her pic to the number she gave you, and bam, you wont forget what she looked like in 3+ days when you call her back. (luckily she was a 8.5-9 WITHOUT beer goggles)

hope this helps, i was worried at first that all my contact pics were showing up tiny as he!!, but now i'm really happy that they are all fullscreen.

ps: its really cool when showing off your iPhone to your friends and you say "call me" and when they do you can show them that their pic shows up real big! adds more WOW to the iPhone's wow-ness

here is a tricky one....I have all my contacts, when the call, get a nice big picture. EXCEPT for one. I dont know what or why it behaves like this, but I get the tiny thumbnail in the top right. I have fixed this numerous times, and even deleted and re created, but everytime i get a phone call, it reverts back...

its as if that number is permanently screwed up....

any help???

its just this number, all others are good

saladiro

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
New York
If you have multiple apps open like Safari, iPod, Youtube, stocks etc., the iPhone may feel "warmer" as you are running all the apps in the background - when you press Home it does NOT actually clear or close apps., and this may affect battery usage.

To actually close (or Quit) an application, HOLD the Home button for about 4-8 seconds while in the application. Apparently this will save battery usage and will also keep it cooler.

(this very helpful tip :D was shamelessly stolen by me :rolleyes: from user 'djmx', original post can be found here)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/325921/

hey..i tried this, (held it for 4 - 8 sec) it did return to the home screen, but when I went back into safari, there were still the three web sites open

did i do it wrong

amuzikman

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Deleting iPhone Photo Albums

I accidentally synced a couple personal photo albums to my iPhone. i could find no way to delete the album and when i tried tried to delete teh individual photos one by one I found the delete photo option (little trash can) was missing and I could not figure out how to delete either the individual photos or the entire album.

The answer is to do it from iTunes: In the photos tab select "sync photos from iPhoto. Select "selected albums" then simply be sure no albums are selected from your iPhoto menu. When I synced all the photo albums except "camera roll" were deleted from the iPhone.

Cheers!

murf'n'surf

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2007
You can send ghetto MMS messages to people by doing the following.

- Start a new email with the photo you want to send
- put their 10 digit phone number followed by @mobile.att.net in the To: field
Example: 2345678910@mobile.att.net

(im not sure if you need to include the 1 at the beginning or not.)

If you have put it all in correctly it will arrive to their phone in the form of an SMS/MMS.

Does this work for anybody else?

I addressed it with the 1 in front of area code and without and it does not work. Yes, the recipient is an att number. What gives???

jaggunothing

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Bangalore, India
Selecting email account while composing new email or replying

Am not sure it was posted early, found it very useful.

When you are replying to, or while composing a new email, you can click on the "from address" inside the email to select an alternate account (it will list all the active accounts on the phone).

ps: i heard it works only with Ver 2 and above OS.

jaggunothing

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Bangalore, India
Push / Fetch setting for multiple accounts

Apart from the main option where one can set the phone to Push/Fetch emails automatically, there is another option if you move further in the same setting.

Settings>Fetch new data>scroll down>Advanced>List of multiple accounts>Set preference for individual accounts here.

Pretty convenient if one needs only work emails to be pulled on a regular basis, saves on data and battery :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.