Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
I posted this in another thread but thought maybe if i make new one ppl who have problems can try this...

"Alright.. If you have everything open like Safari, Ipod, Youtube, stocks etc.... it will over heat b /c u are running all the porgrma in the background when u press home it does NOT clear or close apps. if you watn to close apps. HOLD the HOME button for bout 8-10secs when ur in the App program it will force quit. You will save battery and will also keep it cool!!"

Dj :cool:

hope this helps some of your problems! - Hopefully next update it'll be a Major update!!

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I discovered this on Monday.

It is a major concern to me ... my battery lasts easily 4 times longer doing this. The home button should close the application every time.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I discovered this on Monday.

It is a major concern to me ... my battery lasts easily 4 times longer doing this. The home button should close the application every time.

I disagree. I would like it as a configurable option. If I had to go back and forth and reset an application every time I did something I would go butty buckets.

lilnyc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I posted this in another thread but thought maybe if i make new one ppl who have problems can try this...

"Alright.. If you have everything open like Safari, Ipod, Youtube, stocks etc.... it will over heat b /c u are running all the porgrma in the background when u press home it does NOT clear or close apps. if you watn to close apps. HOLD the HOME button for bout 8-10secs when ur in the App program it will force quit. You will save battery and will also keep it cool!!"

hope this helps some of your problems! - Hopefully next update it'll be a Major update!!

Thank you! I always like to close apps I'm not using, so I was wondering what was happening as a result of jumping from app to app. this also explains the black screen when Safari crashes. It's clooosing :rolleyes: Ahhh. Okay. We learn something new every day.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
But dont the apps re-launch in the background? When I do this, wait a sec, and then re-open them they open too quickly to have been started from a quit state.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
But dont the apps re-launch in the background? When I do this, wait a sec, and then re-open them they open too quickly to have been started from a quit state.

Bear in mind they're launching from flash RAM so it should be very quick.

I'm not sure how this saves battery life - you'd imagine loading every app 'from scratch' each time would use a lot more; unless the process of saving/restoring each app session is quite intensive, or background apps use CPU time.

AudiA4

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
Little Rock, AR

So you have to do this for EVERY open program? And how do you know if the program is "running"? Or, does this shut down all programs? I'm confused.

vrillusions

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio, US
So you have to do this for EVERY open program? And how do you know if the program is "running"? Or, does this shut down all programs? I'm confused.

it force quits the current application you are in. No more, no less. There is no process viewer so you can't really tell what applications are running. What i've been doing ever since I heard of this, which was actually a while ago, I'd just quit out of safari since I didn't like having the latest page kept in memory, etc. Still not sure if it really helps battery life in my case. Personally, I don't bother with things like the weather app or stocks or notes. I would probably just do safari, ipod, and mail since those seem to be the biggest of the apps and I usually don't use them constantly.

You can "start fresh" but just turning the phone off (hold down the sleep/wake button until you see the "slide to power off" slider) and turn it back on.

Another recommendation for battery saving is to turn off bluetooth when not using it. Bluetooth has always seemed to be the big battery guzzler, even on my laptop. If I'm running off battery that is the first think I make sure is off.

hierik

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2009

It takes me to voice control ? Any1 else experiencing this ?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
It takes me to voice control ? Any1 else experiencing this ?

This is true with the 3GS. I will add that the only apps which consistently stay open in the background appear to be phone (to receive calls), mail (to check mail), and iPod. For some reason Safari sometimes stays open when I close it; there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it.

However, I have never noticed any overheating or increased battery drain from these applications (with the exception of mail, if I have it set to fetch).

I would point out that this is a two year old thread, and since that time we have had several OS updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.