Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhawk2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Hey Guys!
I just got an ibook G3 500mhz 128ram for $75 on craigslist. My first mac! It has OS 9.
Tell me what you think. Also where can I get really cheap OS X cd? I dont really care what version.

Attachments

• Good mac pic.JPG
    Good mac pic.JPG
    803.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Mac with small light.JPG
    Mac with small light.JPG
    653 KB · Views: 79
  • sideangle.JPG
    sideangle.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 90

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Congrats. I bought my very first iBook on here in January for about $180 but it came with a charger/battery/airport card and all the original software. You can find Jaguar or Panther on ebay or in the marketplace(if you can access it) for under $20. Drop a larger HDD, upgrade to 640mb ram and maybe a DVD drive in there and that will run Tiger like a champ.

Just watch out for the dreaded "video card" failure that's plagued about 75% of all ibooks.

jhawk2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Nice!
It came with everything except the airport card.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
U FINALLY GOT IT!!! GOOD job what os does it have on it? look what i did to my macbook link in sig. nvm it says os 9 but i got a place where u can get jag

If cassie still has it she can tell u

COugh i hope u still have it somewhere

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Now you just need Jaguar ... like somone suggested.

There is a a piece of software call xdefacto or something like that. It will allow you to by pass the hardware check.

I have Tiger running on a G3 Powerbook --- But I took out the hard drive, threw it into a firewire enclosure, installed it on a different PPC machine, and then threw the harddrive back in.

ORRRRR --- get yourself a copy of xubuntu --- i tried ... but my cd rom is fried and after a week of playing around with netboot and HD, ISO partitions, i went the other other root ... but ya ... xubuntu ... I have it running on another machine ...AWESOME... just a thought

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
i have tiger with the 4 cd version but it runs slow with 128 mb of ram i tried with my imac without firewire , but yea jag or panther should be fine until he gets some more ram, assuming it would be easy since he has the 128 built in and an open slot for 512, but yea hes new to macs and wants to use osx as he explained in a different forum which is in his or cassies link cough cough

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
i have tiger with the 4 cd version but it runs slow with 128 mb of ram i tried with my imac without firewire , but yea jag or panther should be fine until he gets some more ram, assuming it would be easy since he has the 128 built in and an open slot for 512, but yea hes new to macs and wants to use osx as he explained in a different forum which is in his or cassies link cough cough

oh it's painfull to run anything my g3 is 333 mhz with 128 running tiger... I just run text edit and a few services, afp, ftp, http, and vine server

isauce

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008
Nice, that is a pretty good fine. Now see if you have install Leopard. :D

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
Nice, that is a pretty good fine. Now see if you have install Leopard. :D

i could do it easilly but he needs mostlikly more than a 10gb hd and 128mb of ram, when he was saying in this OTHER FORUM, sounded as he wanted osx but didnt care what kind, im thinkin he just wants to get away from windows????

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
i could do it easilly but he needs mostlikly more than a 10gb hd and 128mb of ram, when he was saying in this OTHER FORUM, sounded as he wanted osx but didnt care what kind, im thinkin he just wants to get away from windows????

What is the Leopord install size?

Tiger is 2.2 -- IF you don't install printer drivers or languages --- also this does not include iLife

jhawk2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
I want OS X becuase I think it could do more than OS 9.
And yes I am finally away from windows!

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
What is the Leopord install size?

Tiger is 2.2 -- IF you don't install printer drivers or languages --- also this does not include iLife

But u dont understand, 128mb of ram leopard needs 512 and still runs sluggish tiger needs 256, he mostlikly doesnt want to spend alot of money. and u can get leopard the loweest i think 5.9gb with out anything like no languages x11 or printer drivers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.