Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cis4life

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Hello,

I have searched high and low for a straight forward answer, but can't find one.

All i want to do is from my windows PC, remote desktop into my mac. What is the best way to do this. Or is VNC the only way to do this?

Thanks,
Cedric

cis4life

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Thanks,

Is there my chance a url to a good tutorial to use to setup the vnc on my mac.

as you can probably tell, I'm a windows guy moving over to the mac world and I fully understand everything you are saying, just don't want to do this wrong.

Thanks,
Cedric

cis4life

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Hello,

Thanks a million, I got it working.

BUT OMG

this is painfully slow. is there anything else I can use or buy that is faster and more realtime. I'm not trying to watch movies or anything like that remotely, but Im a programmer and need to access my code and apps and edit as needed on mac, but I work at a windows enviroment.

It has to be a better solution than VNC. VNC is SOOOO Slow.

Cedric

dimonay

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Hello,

BUT OMG

this is painfully slow. is there anything else I can use or buy that is faster and more realtime. I'm not trying to watch movies or anything like that remotely, but Im a programmer and need to access my code and apps and edit as needed on mac, but I work at a windows enviroment.

Cedric

If VNC is running slow it would usually just be an issue with the internet connection your Mac is on, so if you were to buy something to make it faster then you should up your internet connection with better upload speeds. You could also try lowering the quality on your PC's VNC client, like dumbing down the color and such.

If I totally missed the problem then you could also try LogMeIn Free for Macs (https://secure.logmein.com/welcome/mac/), but I'm not sure how much faster that'll be.

Do you have a Mac desktop or laptop?

hood

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2006
cis4life,

I have found a untility that will allow you to control both you mac from a pc and pc from your mac. The program is call teamviewer. http://www.teamviewer.com/

This might be a solution you. There is no set up required other than opening the program on both machines and knowing the pin number.

Hope this helps
Hood

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Hello,

BUT OMG

Cedric

The only way to resolve the speed is getting a faster internet connection. I would advise 1Mbps or higher in upload if you want to any decent resolution.

Captain Pyro

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2008
The Sunny NE of England
depending on pc vnc client ( i like RealVNC) drop the colour depth as low as you can and tell it not to poll inputs or worry about desktop backgrounds etc.

ultimately though, you need a quick connection. I always found RealVNC perfectly acceptable as a means of fixing users' machines, administrating servers etc, but I don't think it would be my first choice for a primary operating environment, and that in a 100Mbps network.

Can't you just run parallels or bootcamp or something on the mac to get a palce you can install your IDE and then upload the code to your remote machine to compile, build and test? There's plenty of stuff out there in Visual Studio land that does version check-in/check-outs to avoid getting your source all muddled up...

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I was thinking of giving the LogMeIn a try. Has anyone used it yet? I would be accessing my Macintosh from a library computer (Win XP), so I cannot install a VNC viewer on it. The LogMeIn stuff says that I can use a browser to control my Macintosh, which sounds good.

mstech

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
Logmein is slow

I've been trying to work with someone remotely on a video and after trying higher speed (Comcast 4mbps) more memory and a buch of comfiguration change suggestions from Logmein, i finally talked to a Logmein support person who told me it's not the best program for watching videos. I think a free trial of Timbuktu will be worth a try.

kwdaye

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2009
cincinnati, OH
You can also try PCAnywhere cross platform, it also works for what you are trying to do. I have 2 Imac's and access them from remote locations. I have also tried VNC. I think vnc works the best, as no matter where I am I can run it from a windows computer using my thumb drive.(I have vnc on it). I carry it with me all the time.

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
Logmein basic is free for non-commercial use, however from time to time they will nag you to buy the "full" product. Their favourite tactic is to display a "complete checkout" screen when you first connect to their website, I always press the "not now" button.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I know this a 4 year old thread BUT can't find a thread with a heavier footfall so posting here in hope of a response. Has anyone used Remotix for VNC client and what are their views on it? Is it worth $25? Happy to pay that as long as it gives me an advantage over free options

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.