Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mo sizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
Hey I have a powermac g5 2.0 dual, and I was wondering if I could replace it with a 2.5ghz cpu? Could I just swap the processor chips, or would i need the entire processor? I know the 2.5s were liquid cooled, so I was thinking that would create problems?

Thanks in advance

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yes there is a small problem.

It is a PIA, with the G5...

Edit: sorry missed the dual core. Swap might be easier when they went to universal logic boards.

mo sizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
is there anyway to check the compatibility, such as pin numbers or something. And i was actually looking at a 2.7 dual core, the entire processor, not just the chips. would i need to do anything to the cooling system?

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
The dual core motherboards only have 1 socket connector (at least mine does), so that processor wont work.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Right, that processor looks like a dual-processor model, not a dual-core. I could be wrong, but I would guess that since there are two connections. I mean, I guess it could be a quad core (2Xdual core), but I'd think he would advertise that, and it still likely wouldn't work...

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
It's not really a very realistic undertaking... there are major complications involved, and I don't think you can even adjust the CPU speed, which will run at what you bought it at anyway, new CPU or not.

Plus, that's a dual-cpu configuration.

mo sizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
wow i am an idiot. my g5 is a 2.0 dual, not a dual core. i dont know why i said it was

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Then there is a slight chance it could. But it is a ton of work. Everything will have be re calibrated from what I understand. Easier to buy a new G5.

mo sizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
well my g5 works, its just that im going to get a mbp in a year or so, and ive noticed that people have been selling cpu units for extremely cheap. so i figured if i could upgrade my g5 i would

Lord Zedd

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Denver, Colorado
100% not possible. If you want a faster G5 your only options are to replace the whole logicboard and CPU as a matched set or buy a new G5 machine.

If you change processors the fans will run at full blast all the time AND the CPU speed will run at the computers original clock. If you even swap existing CPUs to opposite slots (A-B) the fans will stay at full blast until the computer is recalibrated by an Apple dealer.

mo sizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
hmm so if i got a 2.7 cpu unit and the logic board for it i could perform a clean swap?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.