Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsfgf

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Title says it all, I just want to completely erase all the data off my phone before I sell it. I don't need people reading my texts and emails.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
restore. and don't restore from backup, just restore, and take out your sim card.

No, do a secure erase. "Settings, Reset, Erase all content and settings". Takes about an hour. Also remove the SIM when you're done. Just Sell it without the SIM; the buyer can get new one, or in many cases, will be using one they already have. I sold both of my iPhones without it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/506018/

skelly21

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2008
do I HAVE to restore/wipe before selling?

I deleted all contacts, and all call & SMS history, and deleted Safari history, cookies, and cache. Do I still have to restore/wipe? I'd do it to be sure, but it's unlocked, and I can't get a hold of the guy who unlocked it... I worry tho' as my CL ad for "iPhone" got me scammers galore! Ship it here, ship it there, it's for my sister's friend's only brother's sister whose brother's only friend died in a plane crash... And even local buyers are dying to buy ASAP, cash, no haggling... what are they so hot? Can they get into my stuff after I deleted?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.