Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattzane15

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
When i try to enter my password for my yahoo and hotmail account, it wont accept it for some reason. Can somebody help me? I did the right incoming and outgoing mail server.

munson

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2008
Boston, MA
I am almost positive that the Hotmail server does not allow for the Mac mail/Thunderbird/etc. that are non-Microsoft products to communicate with the Hotmail servers. They're not a normal SMTP/POP/etc. setup.

I would assume the same goes for Yahoo! but I cannot know for sure.

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
Wirelessly posted (White iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Are you sure this is a mobileme question and not a mail.app question?

kamgr

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008
I am almost positive that the Hotmail server does not allow for the Mac mail/Thunderbird/etc. that are non-Microsoft products to communicate with the Hotmail servers. They're not a normal SMTP/POP/etc. setup.

I would assume the same goes for Yahoo! but I cannot know for sure.

I believe munson is correct. Hotmail uses HTTP and Yahoo requires a premium subscription to receive POP.

I am migrating from my Hotmail and Yahoo accounts to Gmail because of this (I'm currently moving from Windows Live Mail on my XP box to Mail on my new MacBook).

Mattzane15

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
I mean i'm trying to get my yahoo and hotmail mail for the .mac mail application

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I mean i'm trying to get my yahoo and hotmail mail for the .mac mail application

If you can set your Hotmail or Yahoo up as a pop account you can get the mail via .mac/mobileme. Note that both are paid services, if you have the free accounts you will not be able to access them via pop. You can however in Hotmail forward all incoming mail to your .mac email address (without paying for an Hotmail account).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.