Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cv01

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
nq9xq8.png

Where is the option to turn those link arrows off in iTunes 8?

PYR0M310N

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
First thing I noticed when I went back to list view (which isn't even list view anymore, not sure what the obsession with album artwork is).
They are so ugly and I don't purchase iTunes music, so I don't want to have links everywhere to the store.

*edit* Just saw that you can remove the artwork in list view in view menu

MidiMonk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Yeah, I cannot find a way either, this must be a "feature" of the moronic genius in itunes.

cv01

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Yeah, I cannot find a way either, this must be a "feature" of the moronic genius in itunes.

I have genius turned off and they still show up...
There was an option to disable them in 7.7. :mad:

cv01

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
So this works with Mac OS, but what about Windows? :confused:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
nq9xq8.png

Where is the option to turn those link arrows off in iTunes 8?
Where do you see these? I don't see anything that looks like that on my iTunes.
First thing I noticed when I went back to list view (which isn't even list view anymore, not sure what the obsession with album artwork is).
List view looks exactly the same as it did in iTunes 7.7.1. I don't know what you're seeing.

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
If you tick 'Disable: iTunes Store' in the parental preferences then the arrows go away.

However you can't browse the iTunes store then obviously. Since I rarely do I can live with turning it on manually when required.

DuFFy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
Phila
anyone know how to get rid of the genre list in the "browser" in iTunes 8, cuz before i updated i had removed it somehow now i cant find an option to do it anymore. is this Apple forcing us to use genres, cuz i dont, and its annoying having it there

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
open terminal, and paste - defaults write com.apple.itunes show-genre-when-browsing -bool FALSE

then restart itunes.

to remove the links to the music store put - defaults write com.apple.iTunes show-store-arrow-links -bool FALSE

DuFFy

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2007
Phila
open terminal, and paste - defaults write com.apple.itunes show-genre-when-browsing -bool FALSE

then restart itunes.

to remove the links to the music store put - defaults write com.apple.iTunes show-store-arrow-links -bool FALSE

sorry i mean for windows

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006

then restart itunes.

thank you.

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003

then restart itunes.

Yeah, thanks a ton. Can the same be applied to removing the Genius sidebar eyesore?

EDIT: for cripe's-sake, its that damn little button next to the Genius button. Gaack, iTunes is still my favorite media player, but it is becoming too much like winamp circa 2002 for me. a bit bloated and changing too often. For example, I just discovered some indecipherable "Cache" folder inside the Album Artwork folder. Previous to that I had been wondering where my 300 mg of disk space had disappeared to.

Pants Dragon

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
They are so ugly and I don't purchase iTunes music, so I don't want to have links everywhere to the store.

There's still a list view, that's the only view I use. Try clicking the triangle next to the top of the artwork column. ;)

EDIT: My bad, you figured it out already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.