Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
USA
here's the thing - air sharing was free a couple weeks ago and I downloaded it to my mac mini and installed it on the ipod touch. It is now $7. I just bought a macbook this weekend and decided I want to sync the ipod touch with the macbook instead. However, it seems that I can't do that without erasing all the crap on my ipod. Is there a way to transfer my apps from the pre-existing computer (or from the ipod) to my new macbook, thus allowing me to sync it without losing everything? And yes, I was aware that new macbooks are coming out soon.

Thanks

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
yeah. just put them on a cd or flash drive and transfer them to an authorized computer (you can have up to 5).

Just drag the apps that you want from the iTunes window to the flash drive or disc you want them on.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Why not just use migration assistant or time machine to restore the files from the mini onto the new notebook. Then you get everything, including the iphone apps.

TheNorthWaves

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
USA
I actually did use time machine but without migration assistant (I wanted to restructure my folders this time around) - what folder are the apps natively in?

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
I actually did use time machine but without migration assistant (I wanted to restructure my folders this time around) - what folder are the apps natively in?
Wherever your iTunes library is (by default /users/your username/music/iTunes) then in the mobile applications folder. If you just restored from a Time Machine backup from the mini, the files would be in your iTunes library by default.

baseball-kid8

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
first sign on to your itunes account and find the app you want. Then click download and a message should come up saying that you have already downloaded this app. click ok to download it again. That s what I did and it worked perfectly. Your account doesn't get charged also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.