Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mary H

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Canada
Hi,

I am wanting to create a booklet with probably about 20 pages. On the printed sheet (8.5 X 11) there would be 4 different pages and they would not all be consecutive. Looking at the first sheet on side 1 should be 'left side - p. 20', 'right side - p. 1'. Flip it over and I have 'left side - p. 2' and 'right side - p. 19'. After they are completed, I put them together, staple in the middle and fold, creating a booklet.

I could obviously do all of this manually, and this is fine for one but although the format doesn't change, sometimes the number of pages does. Or sometimes, I have it all finished only to realize I missed a section.

I have several booklets I am trying to format, and it would be nice to use one template, not make templates for all of them. Today, I am preparing a wedding ceremony booklet for the minister to use during the wedding with all of the vows, message and wedding elements. With weddings today being as unique as the marrying couple, each ceremony is a different length - hence the need to have one template to fit many.

I am using Page 3.0.2. I have a Brother HL-2140 printer (preferred). I also have a Canon iP3500 printer.

exegete77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Howdy. Having used Pages for our Seminary newsletter, I have discovered it is better to make a template for each use. Thus, for you it might be a lot initially to set up a template for each size booklet, in the long run it will save you time.

Mary H

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Canada
Okay ...
So if I set up a template for each one. Can I just set up text blocks so that they just flow from one to the other on different pages. The last time I created a booklet, everything was done manually. We added two pages and two pages (four total) in the middle and I had to go through and manually correct all of the pages between the two different pages. Plus I had to go through and change all of the page numbers manually.

I discovered the flow through box but it seemed to only work on the same page, not when I wanted the text block to flow into a new page. So if I can do this, how do I do it?

pit29

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
This may actually turn out to be really easy. At least, if you have a HP printer installed... Just go ahead and use a normal document, normal page order.

In the Print menu, select "Finishing" from the drop down menu, and then look at "Booklet Printing" options. I remember trying it once, and it seemed to work. I remember being impressed.

I don't know whether you get these options from non-HP printers. I cannot test that right now, but maybe it is possible to simply install one, and then save the print output as a pdf?

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 387

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
There are a few ways to do this. The first two involve setting your Pages document in File > Page Setup… to landscape orientation. I originally wrote this for Pages 2. In Pages 3, use the page layout mode for #s 1a & 1b.

1a - Use linked text boxes. This is easier done with the layout showing. First you need to add a page break to have two pages. Click in the body area & then Insert > Page Break. Now click outside the layout area to enter object mode & click the "T" in the tool bar or Insert > Text to create a text box & type something in it. This is to keep the box from disappearing if you click elsewhere & the text can be replaced later. If you already have some text to paste in you can just paste while in object mode & a text box containing your text will be created. You will now need to click outside the layout again & drag the cursor toward the text box to select it. You can now position the first text box in the lower right of your 2-page document. It is easier to see where it goes if you have the document set up with 2 columns. Click on the blue-outlined tab at the lower right of the text box to create a new of the same size & move the box to the upper left. Repeat for a box for the upper right & again for the lower right. You will now have 4 linked text boxes.

1b - Start as in 1a creating a 2-page document with 2 columns in landscape orientation. For this one you will use the body text area. Just type or paste your text in as normal, starting in the upper left. When you have your text done, cut all of the text in the first column (upper left), insert a column break after the last character on the now lower left column & paste the cut text after it in the now lower right column.

Neither one of these will let you automatically use page numbers because Pages "sees" each page & you actually have 2 pages per page.

2 - Use Cocoa Booklet to create a booklet with any number of pages (best in a multiple of 4). Start with your Pages document in Legal size & larger than normal font size. Export the Pages document to a PDF & then drag the PDF to the icon of Cocoa Booklet. It will create a new PDF in booklet form.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I have two suggestions for you....
1) Go to the online Apple support forums. There is one dedicated specifically for Pages, with a group of very knowledgeable people. Do a search first (if you don't do a search first, they will let you know that a 'search' should have been your first step). I have solved several problems I was having with iWork at that forum.
2) There is at least one free/cheap PDF booklet creation add-on. I don't have it, so I'm working from memory.... but IIRC it adds something like "create PDF booklet" selection to the PDF options in the printing dialogue. Again, IIRC, it does all the sorting into the page order automatically.

Google something like "PDF Booklet Mac" and I'll bet you will get some results...

Good Luck

edit: See! I'm sure Peggy is one of the Apple Forum regulars. They're so good, they come to you! And she has the PDF booklet name at hand too. They're good, at that forum, eh?

Mary H

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Canada
CocoaBooklet

I downloaded CocoaBooklet but can't figure out how to do it.

I pulled my pdf file to CocoaBooklet but it just kept trying to convert it but nothing actually happened.

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
I downloaded CocoaBooklet but can't figure out how to do it.

I pulled my pdf file to CocoaBooklet but it just kept trying to convert it but nothing actually happened.

Simple question, not meant to be too basic, but did you double-click the .dmg file to mount it & then drag the CocoaBooklet application to your hard drive (Applications folder) first? Then, double-click CocoaBooklet & select preferences from the application menu. In Paper Size set the Paper Format to the size of the paper you'll be using for the booklet. Leave the default margins. In the Destination preference, select Yes for Add a suffix? to avoid overwriting your original PDF & click Save. The choices in the Options preferences are all left unchecked unless your printer does duplex printing & prints the second side upside down. Then drag the PDF to the icon of Cocoa Booklet to will create a new PDF in booklet form.

Also, did you export your Pages document as a PDF?

Mary H

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Canada
I did double click the dmg file and second time through I had moved it to Applications but for everything else, I had not done. I have now but there is a problem.

What size paper and font should I use to have the original to have a decent final product. I had formatted all my pages as 5.5 X 8.5 and had the font at 14pts. It is for a public reading so the font needs to be larger than normal.

My final document came out to have four pages on it instead of two with the two left ones being upside down and the two right ones being right side up. :( Plus there is a large amount of white space top and bottom. Obviously the pages have been shrunk to fit and I didn't want them to shrink.

Actually I just discovered that the pdf file has flipped every other page and made it into the booklet order from the half sheet pages to the two pages per letter size sheet. So, my answer may be to play with the pdf file and it will automatically print as a booklet.:D

mestrius

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
cheap imposter

the thread is a bit outdated, but i thought i should comment that cocoa booklet is broken on snow leopard.

there's a free program out there called cheap imposter.

you may want to register to get extra features. i paid 35 dollars, and it was worth it for me. saved me time without getting add'l equipment.

http://www.cheapimpostor.com/

Ophoe

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
Actually, I would recommend this free add-on. I had the same problem as you, and found "Create Booklet for Mac" on Cnet. Once you install it, you will be able to instantly format as a booklet from the print screen, with a PDF preview so you can check it before printing. It's AWESOME!!! Please share if you know others with the same problem.

http://download.cnet.com/Create-Booklet/3000-2088_4-86349.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.