Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xpjx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Mod Note: Here is a list of the previous threads
Post Your Mac Setup: Past & Present
Post Your Mac Setup: Past & Present (Part 2)
Post Your Mac Setup: Past & Present (Part 3)
Post Your Mac Setup: Past & Present (Part 4)
Post Your Mac Setup: Past & Present (Part 5)
Post Your Mac Setup: Past & Present (Part 6)
Post Your Mac Setup: Past & Present (Part 7) <- This thread
Post Your Mac Setup: Past & Present (Part 8)

Please refrain from quoting images. If you want to see the picture that a post is referring to, you can press this button:
viewpost.gif

For large images (over ~800 pixels wide), please use [/SIZE][/B] tags rather than plain old [img] tags

[b]We ask that everyone [U]refrains from reposting the same image in multiple threads[/U]. That includes the "Under 18" as well as "Post Your Mac Setup" threads.

We do realize that this will still sometimes occur. If/when that happens, please report it by clicking on the "Report Post" icon ([IMG]http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/buttons/report.gif) and include a link to both posts. Thank you.

in our office. :)

IMG_3418.jpg

--
IMG_3419.jpg

:apple:

Nicholas Mosher

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Massachusetts
deriko100 said:
Nice, How do you like the mac pro, just a random question.
So far so good. I'm getting into 3D modeling/animation, and I needed something that could render faster than the 2.0GHz C2D in my Macbook. At school I run everything from Cinema 4D to AutoCAD to Mathematica to Office Apps... usually at the same time. I plan to fully take advantage of the multiple display capabilities of the Mac Pro as my funds replenish from last week's hit. I'm gonna' have to use bootcamp for AutoCAD most likely, but everything else I run is available for the Mac.

I use Mac Pros almost every day at school in the modeling lab, but now I'm glad I have one at home that is available 24/7 for my needs! :) :apple:

229dan229

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
So far so good. I'm getting into 3D modeling/animation, and I needed something that could render faster than the 2.0GHz C2D in my Macbook. At school I run everything from Cinema 4D to AutoCAD to Mathematica to Office Apps... usually at the same time. I plan to fully take advantage of the multiple display capabilities of the Mac Pro as my funds replenish from last week's hit. I'm gonna' have to use bootcamp for AutoCAD most likely, but everything else I run is available for the Mac.

I use Mac Pros almost every day at school in the modeling lab, but now I'm glad I have one at home that is available 24/7 for my needs! :) :apple:

I think you should set up a 2nd display and just run parallels. Probably easier than keep re-booting.

Nicholas Mosher

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Massachusetts
I've heard that AutoCAD has compatibility issues with Parallels... is there any truth to this?
-----
Although I really liked the 30" ACD, it wasn't in my budget. This setup alone was close to $4500!
To be honest, I'm not sure the 30" would have worked in our small office... I do have limited space as I'm sure you can see.
Another 23" ACD might be in the works... I'll have to figure out another way to illuminate my desk though, as my favorite lamps will be displaced.

Someday when I build my own home (or rebuild an old one) I'll be able to design a workspace that allows more displays.
It's definitely a setback to not have everything up and available to work on at once. Oh well... I can manage with this "compromise"... :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This will be my very last setup in California. :D Figured I'd make good use of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 1,018
  • IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 1,451

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
This will be my very last setup in California. :D Figured I'd make good use of it.

I love the "classic" ACD so much better than the new one...nice set up. If you have spare time you can buy an Ikea Signum for $20 which will help you manage those unsightly wires.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I love the "classic" ACD so much better than the new one...nice set up. If you have spare time you can buy an Ikea Signum for $20 which will help you manage those unsightly wires.

I have it BUT, there are two large power surge protectors in that bin with so many wires that the Signum won't hold everything. The power brick to the ACD is on the Signum as well as a Firewire hub and a couple other things.

The wires don't bug me much and I'm not investing any time in fixing things now that I am leaving come end of year.

At least they're all in one bin. ;)

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
I have it BUT, there are two large power surge protectors in that bin with so many wires that the Signum won't hold everything. The power brick to the ACD is on the Signum as well as a Firewire hub and a couple other things.

The wires don't bug me much and I'm not investing any time in fixing things now that I am leaving come end of year.

At least they're all in one bin. ;)

Hah, that's too bad then about the signum. I really jammed mine up...it's holding power bars, modems, etc.

Yeah, I guess the bin is better than nothing. besides the wires show way more in picture than in real life. Again, I love the display...can't wait til I'm older and can actually have a need for such a big/nice monitor, for now my 24" white iMac will suffice.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Hah, that's too bad then about the signum. I really jammed mine up...it's holding power bars, modems, etc.

Yeah, I guess the bin is better than nothing. besides the wires show way more in picture than in real life. Again, I love the display...can't wait til I'm older and can actually have a need for such a big/nice monitor, for now my 24" white iMac will suffice.

TBH the 24" iMac is nothing to sneeze at and you're right, I don't see the wires and my chair is always pushed in. So ... short of someone wanting to actually come over and take care of my wires for me, there they shall stay. When I move I think I'll hire a man toy for a month to do all the little things I haven't any desire to do ... and some things I do have a desire to do. :D

30" is nice and I started to get wiggly about the rumored updates as well. Once that new ACD hit I was nearly giddy knowing it wasn't something I'd ever want to purchase.

l3ebs

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
*Official Computer Room Pictures*

Hey Guys,

I did this thread over at http://www.overclock.net over a year ago now. It is a very popular topic with almost 5000 posts. Its a great way to show off your computer rooms and get inspiration and ideas from other members.

If you want post a couple of pics of your computer room/setup.

If you want, comment on the Person above you and give them a rating out of 10.

Laters

P1010285.jpg

P1010297.jpg

P1010281.jpg

P1010304.jpg

P1010275.jpg

P1010284.jpg

P1010289.jpg

p1010216pt2.jpg

p1010213gc1.jpg

p1010228bt2.jpg

p1010222ev6.jpg

TJunkers

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
Awesome set up... Just one question... why didnt you get the big mousepad? hahah jk. I have same one and love it. I like your plane collection too! you should get the JU 52; one of my Great Grandfathers planes.

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ
Geez 3 monitors, a macbook, and a tv all in the same room this thread seems like a great way to show your wealth lol :p

But nice room man love all the things you have, i wish i had them.

ChrisN

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
Geez 3 monitors, a macbook, and a tv all in the same room this thread seems like a great way to show your wealth lol :p

But nice room man love all the things you have, i wish i had them.

ChrisN

mum and dad didnt let him use other rooms for his junk :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.