Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rckclmbr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
Hello everyone!

I really prefer to keep all of my SMS messages rather than deleting them and then going "Oh $%&# I lost it!" however, I am afraid that it will slow my phone down. My phone occasionally lags when I touch SMS, even if I have one or two short conversations in there. Would keeping all of my texts cause this to happen more or take longer to load, or is that just what happens regardless of how many texts I have saved on my phone? By the way, I have a 3G incase it matters.

Thank you in advance!

daisuke07

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
When I kept all my texts it would make my typing lag.

I don't know if it will be the same for you.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
Hello everyone!

I really prefer to keep all of my SMS messages rather than deleting them and then going "Oh $%&# I lost it!" however, I am afraid that it will slow my phone down. My phone occasionally lags when I touch SMS, even if I have one or two short conversations in there. Would keeping all of my texts cause this to happen more or take longer to load, or is that just what happens regardless of how many texts I have saved on my phone? By the way, I have a 3G incase it matters.

Thank you in advance!

Well, I would suggest keeping those only from the hot chicks.:D
I don't think it matters much regarding speed... the iphone 3G is as buggy as the rainforest.
Just keep rebooting your phone everyday to keep the speed high.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
If you've jailbroken your iPhone, download iTextUploader from Cydia, sign up on that site, and back them up there. I do this and then clear out my iPhone from time to time. But my saved texts are available from ANYWHERE.

muckymucky

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
If you've jailbroken your iPhone, download iTextUploader from Cydia, sign up on that site, and back them up there. I do this and then clear out my iPhone from time to time. But my saved texts are available from ANYWHERE.

but what happens when youarchive.it decide to pull the plug on the service? because i signed up and cant find a way to simply export everything i.e. as a text file~

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
i delete my txt ALL the time and i still get buggy txt performance sometimes. keyboard lag and slow sms openings. so i dont think it really matters if you keep all your txt. i think i might try to keep all my txt now and see what happens.

Name101

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
I have tonnes of SMS's When I press the "Load Earlier Messages" with 2 of my contacts I can press it about 25+ times to load all of the chats.

If I leave me phone on for a week straight it Lags but after a reset its fine and runs smoothly.

Name101

lilmitchmitch

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2008
Orlando
I clear my messages with everybody except for my girlfriend. But I still can't figure out why I need to keep them (other than the fact that I can try to find the text if I need to back up something I said or remember something that she said) because seriously you can't "save" them to the phone like most phones can, and you can't forward the messages if need be.

More on topic, I don't get lag by keeping her messages (which I've kept since August, and that's texting everyday) and I hardly reset my phone.

sergiuria

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
Near a bunch of T-Rex
I text a LOT, every week, or two weeks, my inbox is full. And I delete all the sms, I only keep the ones from my girlfriend. But I never have a lag. I used to, with 2.0, but now it's working smoothly :D

Xenophos

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2008
Missing Sync for iPhone from mark/space lets you keep them on your Mac, but it's not cheap (about $40).

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA

Ahh, but you're giving your data away to a website.

Hopefully they will make an app that can upload directly to your PC in .txt format or similar. Of course, I can't use it, because I don't want to jailbreak, so it doesn't matter to me! :p

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
I have probably 10,000 texts on my iPhone and it's been fine, nothing lags at all.

Wailord

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2007
Yup, another here for PhoneView... if you look hard enough it doesn't cost a penny...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.