Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Let's see if anyone can answer my questions.

This week, I bought a DVI>HDMI cable. I use it to go from my new aluminium MacBook to my 40" Samsung full HD (1080p) LCD TV, using an mDP>DVI adapter. The problem is, I can only get up to 1080i on the TV. the MacBook's Display Preferences don't give me the 1080p setting, which I find very weird.

Also, I tried watching a film using Front Row, also on my LCD TV. It doesn't play nice with a second screen, though. How do I set up Front Row so that the TV will be recognized as the screen I actually want it to use? I 'fixed' it by mirroring the two displays. Not an optimal solution, though, as 1280x800 pixels is definitely not the TV's native resolution. (That is 1920x1080 pixels.)

Then a third and last question. As I have my MacBook placed under my TV when watching a film from it, I'd like to have the display either turned dark, or the lid closed. How do I use my MacBook in clamshell mode when it's attached to a second display?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
For the resolution issue, you might be able to use one of these tools to enable an additional display resolution (not 100% sure they work in Leopard or with HDMI):

http://www.madrau.com/
http://www.3dexpress.de/

I had to use one of them (I think it was DisplayConfigX) to get my iMac talking to my LCD TV at native resolution (but this is a iMac G5 running Tiger, on the official support list).

For the clamshell mode, AFAIK you need a keyboard / mouse plugged in normally to get clamshell mode to activate. If you don't want to plug those in, you might be able to use this program or a similar one (just be careful not to let your Mac stay awake while you're moving it around):

http://www.alxsoft.com/mac/sleepless.html

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Can't offer a solution to the first one. Is there a checkbox to turn off 'show only recommended resolutions' or something along that line?

The second and third one have the same solution. You can only use 'clamshell' mode when you have an external keyboard and mouse connected. I haven't been able to get it to work with my bluetooth KB + mouse (and the external monitor). Apparently when you've got them connected, you can close the lid and use the computer with the screen closed.

You get the lag because the graphics system is running two separate displays. Splitting the processing between the two screens and resulting in lag especially when watching video in Front Row.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Let's see if anyone can answer my questions.

This week, I bought a DVI>HDMI cable. I use it to go from my new aluminium MacBook to my 40" Samsung full HD (1080p) LCD TV, using an mDP>DVI adapter. The problem is, I can only get up to 1080i on the TV. the MacBook's Display Preferences don't give me the 1080p setting, which I find very weird.

hello!!! i also have the same problem, it will only give me the interlaced settings. maybe this is a setting that is limited by the GPU, and not the TV. i only say this because if the GPU could output 1080p instead of 1080i then it would!

Also, I tried watching a film using Front Row, also on my LCD TV. It doesn't play nice with a second screen, though. How do I set up Front Row so that the TV will be recognized as the screen I actually want it to use? I 'fixed' it by mirroring the two displays. Not an optimal solution, though, as 1280x800 pixels is definitely not the TV's native resolution. (That is 1920x1080 pixels.)

you need to set your tv screen as the 'main' screen. to do this go into system preferences>displays and hit the middle tab. notice that you will see two blue screens in the middle. one will be noticably larger than the other, on the smaller screen there will be the white menu bar up the top, this signifies that it is the 'main' window, if you click and drag the white menu bar to the bigger screen then it will realise it is the main monitor. that will solve your frontrow issue!

Then a third and last question. As I have my MacBook placed under my TV when watching a film from it, I'd like to have the display either turned dark, or the lid closed. How do I use my MacBook in clamshell mode when it's attached to a second display?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

there are two ways you can approach this;

1) simply turn down the brightness of the MB
-or-
2) grab a USB mouse and keybaord, plug them into your MB whilst the MB is connected to the TV and still running (i.e. not in sleep). put the MB screen down, make sure that it starts snoring so u know that it is asleep. hit either a button on the keyboard or a button on the mouse, that will wake up the MB.

you will then be free to lift up the MB screen and it will not display anything. note that it will disable your MB's monitor, you will not be able to use it until you put the computer back to sleep again and wake it back up (by lifting up the screen as you normally would). the benefit of doing this way is that all of the RAM is given to the larger monitor, and not split down the middle as it normally would be. this gives you better performance and better response time!

i hope im not too confusing haha

DoFoT9

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Ah, you two are great. I'll definitely give your advice a try tomorrow. Here's to hoping it works. Will clamshell mode work with only a mouse connected? Or do you need to have both a mouse and a keyboard attached? Also, will the TV automatically be the primary display when in clamshell mode?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Ah, you two are great. I'll definitely give your advice a try tomorrow. Here's to hoping it works. Will clamshell mode work with only a mouse connected? Or do you need to have both a mouse and a keyboard attached? Also, will the TV automatically be the primary display when in clamshell mode?

yes (one or the other or both only needed) and yes (automatically be primary) :)

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
i hope im not too confusing haha

DoFoT9
No, certainly not. Thanks for your excellent write-up. So now it's just the resolution problem. I'll see if mkrishnan's suggestion works...

yes (one or the other or both only needed) and yes (automatically be primary) :)
Excellent! Thank you.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
No, certainly not. Thanks for your excellent write-up. So now it's just the resolution problem. I'll see if mkrishnan's suggestion works...

Excellent! Thank you.

thats no problem at all! if you do get it working please tell us! i would love to be able to play it at progressive rates, thanks for the thread :)

fedup flyer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
If you want to use a Macbook in clamshell mode to use Front Row, you only need the power supply plugged in and use the remote. You do NOT need to have a keyboard or mouse plugged in.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If you want to use a Macbook in clamshell mode to use Front Row, you only need the power supply plugged in and use the remote. You do NOT need to have a keyboard or mouse plugged in.

Yeah, this is a good point... in Leopard, though, it still only works with FR, right, and not... iTunes, QuickTime, or third party apps? So you just run FR first, with PS and display plugged in, then close the MB, and it doesn't sleep?

snessiram

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2008
Also see my post from a few days earlier describing how to go from a dualscreen or macbook only setup to an external screen only setup without going to sleep.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 7, 2002
Europe

Also see my post from a few days earlier describing how to go from a dualscreen or macbook only setup to an external screen only setup without going to sleep.
Ah, thank you both for your replies! Solid advice. Thanks.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Okay, I found the solution for my resolution problem. Though I do think it's very odd. I tried adding the Displays icon to the menu, and guess what? Indeed, there it was: 1920x1080 pixels, 60Hz. Weird, isn't it? In the Display Preferences window, you don't get this resolution, but through the menu icon, you do.

Oh well... problem solved.

fedup flyer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
Yeah, this is a good point... in Leopard, though, it still only works with FR, right, and not... iTunes, QuickTime, or third party apps? So you just run FR first, with PS and display plugged in, then close the MB, and it doesn't sleep?

No, not necessacry to run anything before closing the lid. Just plug in the power supply and hit a button on the remote and Front row will start up.

birdy1928

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
TV to second screen

B'77:

Will have a Samsung installer here tomorrow and want to avoid any problems when mirroring my iMac to the new plasma 43 incher.

What would be the best wireless adapter to purchase for transmitting in dog leg fashion down the hall into the den with the TV from the Mac in front of the house - about 30 feet and one wall?

The options range from a $ 15.- Medialink dongle to big table top gizmos at $ 60.- Don't want to go into overkill with my choice.

Have a router from the internet provider next to the Mac - could there be a conflict?

Thanks for your input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.