Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megadon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
can anyone help me out here?

I've uploaded other movies, but for some reason it will not synch it from my computer..

I've already converted it from DVD to m4v with handbreak

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
can anyone help me out here?

I've uploaded other movies, but for some reason it will not synch it from my computer..

I've already converted it from DVD to m4v with handbreak

In iTunes, select the file and then go to advanced and the create iPhone/ipod Touch version.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
In iTunes, select the file and then go to advanced and the create iPhone/ipod Touch version.

Dumb follow-up question - after I do this, I now have 2 copies of that movie in my iTunes.
I assume it would be ok to delete the 'non-converted' one, but how can I tell which one that is?

Also, if I am copying a movie from my "Movies" folder in my home folder to my iTunes, does that mean I have 2 copies of it on my machine, and thus use up twice the space?

Thanks in advance!

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Dumb follow-up question - after I do this, I now have 2 copies of that movie in my iTunes.
I assume it would be ok to delete the 'non-converted' one, but how can I tell which one that is?

Also, if I am copying a movie from my "Movies" folder in my home folder to my iTunes, does that mean I have 2 copies of it on my machine, and thus use up twice the space?

Thanks in advance!

Ya, this is annoying. You will have to see which one is the original by right clicking and selecting "Get info." Delete the original one when found. I always have to remember which one is the one to delete, delete it, before exiting itunes. It is annoying, no doubt.

Bluefx4

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2009
Some more considerations

Under the Advanced preferences of iTunes, you can select whether or not you want a copy of the file added in your iTunes library when you add the movie to your iTunes library. If you don't have that option selected, you will only end up with a pointer to the original location (your Movies folder).

Also, when you convert a file for iPhone/iPod Touch, you may want to keep the orginal around because the quality will be better for play back on devices like an Apple TV. Just some thoughts.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Under the Advanced preferences of iTunes, you can select whether or not you want a copy of the file added in your iTunes library when you add the movie to your iTunes library. If you don't have that option selected, you will only end up with a pointer to the original location (your Movies folder).

Also, when you convert a file for iPhone/iPod Touch, you may want to keep the orginal around because the quality will be better for play back on devices like an Apple TV. Just some thoughts.

Thanks! I hadn't thought about the implications of that option previously, but it makes perfect sense.
I definitely want to keep the full version on my computer - I just didn't want to double-up space by keeping 2 versions...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.