Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In addition to iLife '09, Apple announced a major revision to its iWork suite of applications. iWork '09 is available now for $79/single user and $99/family pack, or only $49 with the purchase of a new Mac. It begins shipping today.

Keynote
New transitions, chart options. There's also a new Keynote Remote app for the iPhone and iPod touch to control Keynote wirelessly with video preview that changes depending on orientation.

Pages
Full screen viewing of documents, dynamic outlines, and a new mail merge with Numbers, which can connect with tables and lists in Numbers. Pages will also offer integration with MathType and EndNote. Additionally, there's a new set of 40 themes coming with the app.

Numbers
Table categories and 250 new functions will make things easier to understand.

iWork.com
A beta of this will be announced soon - offering collaboration options for notifying other people that you've changed documents, and allow others to review and edit them online. This will be a fee-based service offered by Apple once iWork.com launches.

Since OS X 10.5.x is required to run the new iWork, Apple is also offering a package of OS X 10.5, iLife '09 and iWork '09 for $169. This "Mac Box Set" will ship in late January when iLife '09 ships.

Article Link: Apple Releases iWork '09

FaustArp

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Blah!..

Waste of my time. I didn't need these updates. Lets see new Minis or Mac Pro upgrades. The computers that really matter. Glad to see the iphone wasn't mentioned this time. Kind of tired of hearing about it.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
seems reasonable, interested to see the collaboration website. could be neat advancement. especially on keynote presentations for my work

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
awesome! I can pay for iwork.com or use google docs for free!! I wonder what I'll do!?!?

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
So I guess the Mac Box set of Leopard+iLife09+iWork09 shipping in late January makes it less likely Snow Leopard will ship in Q1. Doesn't seem likely that they would release the box set only to replace it in a month.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Another bipolar update.

The new pages is nice, but I would have liked Apple to create their own equation editor rather than requiring a 3rd party product purchase.

Also not a fan of charging for iWork.com. A year's subscription should be included with the iWork 09 purchase.

Charging for the Keynote Remote is also a bit much.

ATimson

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
Then pay another $100 to update to Snow Leopard?
That was my thought. I might pony up for a boxed set of 10.6, iLife '09, and iWork '09. Otherwise, the Numbers '09 features will have to be very convincing (i.e., named ranges/cells).

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
Don't worry guys, desktops will get their own event in a month or two!...

Right?...

Yeah that's what I'm hoping, that's the whole point of Apple leaving MacWorld ... according to their PR people at least.

Also, am I the only one that wants either a lot more new monitors, or a price drop on the current/old ones? Also adapters for DVI to the current new LED display would be nice slash practical ...

Poll Smoker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
They're going to charge .mac subscribers for iwork.com?

Charging for the Keynote remote app -- which needs be used with an Apple phone, using Apple software, on an Apple computer?

:rolleyes:

CWubs

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2009
Some nice new features in Pages

Pages now has auto-correct options similar to Word.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Downloading the trial. Looking forward to some of the new features in Numbers, esp. new graphing options. w/b interested to see if they fix the bugs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.