Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple released Java 1.4.2 today:

In addition to providing support for Sun's Java 1.4.2 APIs, this release includes enhancements to drawing performance and stability for both Java applications and Java applets.

Note : This installer will replace your current installation of Java 1.4.1.

For more details on this update, please visit: thtp://www.apple.com/java/

MasterMac

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Originally posted by BillClinton
I'll Wait for everyone else to install before I commit to the leap
No problems for me... yet :p

Thank god for backups though :cool:

PGant

As Seen on TV (apple.com/switch)
Jun 19, 2002
So far so good for me. I'm testing S1.2 on a forms page right now...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Seems smoother for me. Java applications seem to start quite a bit more quickly. I'm interested in some of the JVM performance after it's been running quite a while.

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK
Nice to see Apple get up-to-date with Java again. Hopefully when Sun release Java 1.5 it won't take Apple as long to catch up as it did for 1.4. I'm really looking forward to some of the new language features in 1.5.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by pianojoe
ThinkFree Office is broken on one of my machines. Maybe this helps.

My ThinkFree Write hasn't worked since Panther but everything else is still working and started more quickly.

Spyky

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2003
Update messed up documentation

This update hammered the Java documentation. Now 1.4.1 J2SE documents are missing entirely and there is no 1.4.2 to replace them.

Argh

-Spyky

EDIT: found the "developer" version on ADC which includes all the documentation. <rant>It would have been nice if software update could have figured out that I had the documentation installed, so it should install again, instead of randomly overwriting the old docs. Or at least pop up a dialog so I could have selected.</rant>

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Breaks acqlite, which when you start up asks for Java 1.4.1 and doesn't realize you have a later version installed.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Looks like a good update.

Torque now generates code when there are > 40 tables in your schema without throwing exceptions.

torque wouldn't work with Java 1.3 and 1.4.x until now! :->

dabeatles

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2003
JBoss

JBoss 1.0.1 also appeared when I ran it on Server 10.3.2. It updates JBoss to function with Java 1.4.2. So far, it's running with no problems...

pgh

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
For those of us who installed JBoss via the Developer CD , you can fix it to work with Java 1.4.2 by editing:
/Library/JBoss/3.2/bin/run.conf

Alter the JAVA environment variable to:
JAVA=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home/bin/java

cplim

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2004
Does anyone know if Eclipse v3.0 M5/M6 still works with this update? I've updated the JavaVM to v1.4.2 on my Windows box (I know, I know ;), and Eclipse hasn't worked properly since. Bit hesitant to update and break my development environment at the moment. Any feedback will be most welcome! :)

cng3

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
yahoo games

I tried playing the java hearts game at games.yahoo.com but the text is illegible. anyone else with this problem?

gregorypierce

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
There are a variety of assorted bugs that made it into the update unfortunately. Maybe there will be a service release that will fix them up. This puppy was not 100% ready for prime time.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Re: yahoo games

Originally posted by cng3
I tried playing the java hearts game at games.yahoo.com but the text is illegible. anyone else with this problem?

Just tried it, same problem.

Curmudgeony

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2004
Just attempted to play a game on Yahoo called "Rocket Mania". A notice states that the game cannot be played on UN*X or Macintosh computers. However...doesn't seem to be a problem playing it except for the fact that I don't have sound.

Also, no problems with text when running "Hearts". Everything looks and plays well, including sound -- aside from the fact that I'm lousy at the game.

vanmonkey

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2003
Anybody Try Yahoo Chess yet?
I know last time there was a jav update I couldn't read anything on the game. People whould chat with me and all I saw were boxes with "X"'s in them!
I'm a chess geek, and I won't install this update if I can't pay it anymore!

fortgreen1

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2004
fortgreen brooklyn ny
xslt processor strange in java1.4.2??

after installing, 1.4.2
my java site generator started having problems.
I generate site in the terminal using that java site builder thing.

I am guessing that now I have different version of xslt processor installed?
It seems that this version does not like the attribute names that starts with numbers,, in xsl,

so I can't parse
<xsl:template name="3d_Anim">

but i can do
<xsl:template name="THREE_D_Anim">
am I right???
or is there other way to fix this???
thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.