Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mail4asim

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
Is there a free software that allows to create password protected zip/rar archives ?

I have searched all over and can't seem to find a free utility for mac.

Asim

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Disk Utility is your best friend!!!!!

1. Open disk utility
2. File>New>Blank Disk Image
3. Select name, & size. Encryption will be 128, or 256 whatever you choose (if you choose none you cannot choose a password). Image format you can choose a spare partition, which makes the disk size only as large as the items in it(think of it as a flash drive if you choose sparse).
4. Click "create"

hope this helps

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
Disk Utility is your best friend!!!!!

1. Open disk utility
2. File>New>Blank Disk Image
3. Select name, & size. Encryption will be 128, or 256 whatever you choose (if you choose none you cannot choose a password). Image format you can choose a spare partition, which makes the disk size only as large as the items in it(think of it as a flash drive if you choose sparse).
4. Click "create"

hope this helps

This is exactly what I do for private stuff; works awesome!

mail4asim

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
Thank you all for looking into this. What I am trying to do is create a ZIP or a RAR file of a few pics and send it to another friend who's running windows. On windows there are several FREE programs that would do this. But I'm having a real hard time finding such a FREE program for Mac. :confused:

I have gone through Macupdate and VersionTracker and still can't find anything. I am sure that has to be a free program that let's you create password protect zip / rar files.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
If you're not afraid of the Terminal you can do this through there.
Code:
zip -e zipname.zip file1.txt other.doc picture.jpg
It'll ask for a password then to verify password and ta da.

Leetut

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
almost 4 years have passed and theres still no program to create a password protected zip?

i am afraid of terminal actually, totally refuse to use it, its why i bought a mac to simplify things
copying: zip -e zipname.zip file1.txt other.doc picture.jpg into terminal gives
zip warning: name not matched: file1.txt
zip warning: name not matched: other.doc
zip warning: name not matched: picture.jpg

zip error: Nothing to do! (zipname.zip)

probably because im not trying to zip picture.jpg or file1.txt and how is it supposed to know where my file is located?
i dont understand terminal only english!

unarchiver and the other unrarx both do the opposite of what i want

and disk utility is not what i want

looks like i need to ebay this imac junk and buy a pc then :rolleyes:

yey365

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2004
Password protected Zip files

Use the terminal and enter "zip -ejr [name] [path to folder]" less the quotes. As an example zip -ejr test \Desktop\zipmeup

The zip will also be encrypted and the command will prompt you for a password as part of the creation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.