Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MST

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Surrey, UK
I'm fairly new to Twitter and "tweeting" so I was hoping that some of my fellow MR members might like to exchange Twitter usernames, at the moment my following list looks pretty sparse and my list of followers even sparser! In fact it's a pretty sad state of affairs :eek:

So if anyone wants to follow me my username is: mst150684

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
i use it, but why would you want strangers to follow you and you to follow them?! do you care what someone else is doing if you don't even know the person?

not me my friend.

Kelly the Dude

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I'm @kellyhuberty

I don't think twitter has really caught on anywhere except the coasts. I'm in the Midwest and nobody is really on it. I rarely even tweet, cause I know no one who'll listen. It's sad. Facebook seems where it's at right now.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'll just post here every time I buy a coffee or read the newspaper.

The reason Twitter hasn't caught on so much is that most people (like me) just don't get it. Maybe if I had an extremely active social life and was always spontaneously meeting people places, then possibly. But since the average person isn't like that, they just don't see the point in posting about daily habits. It's like friends who are chronic Facebook status updaters...drives me nuts. I don't care that you are drinking coffee and reading the newspaper. That is just not interesting in the slightest.

But when I used to be on tour with 50 other people my age in a different city every week, I think it might have been a pretty cool and useful thing.

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I'm @kellyhuberty

I don't think twitter has really caught on anywhere except the coasts. I'm in the Midwest and nobody is really on it. I rarely even tweet, cause I know no one who'll listen. It's sad. Facebook seems where it's at right now.

I agree. I'm in Omaha, NE and nobody uses twitter. I have an account, so the day it catches on and my friends use it I'll be ready, but all people use here is Facebook. Our local newspaper has had some articles on Twitter and saying how great it is, but people still refuse to use it ;)

Saikou

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
NE
I agree. I'm in Omaha, NE and nobody uses twitter. I have an account, so the day it catches on and my friends use it I'll be ready, but all people use here is Facebook. Our local newspaper has had some articles on Twitter and saying how great it is, but people still refuse to use it ;)

I'm in Omaha too, and I use it. ;)

I usually just use it to follow interesting people who have more to say than just "so and so is taking a crap / brushing their teeth / studying chemistry." Kevin rose generally has some interesting links on his twitter, so I follow him.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I use the same user name for everything so you can guess what my twitter user name is.

Right now I have 2,757 tweets. You *might* consider me a frequent tweeter.

Message me if you're going to add me, because I normally block people who I see as random.

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
here's mine: twitter.com/alastairmogford

I tweet about technology and general stuff I find thats wired or interesting... lol.

And, lets not forget arn's (the macrumors god) twitter: twitter.com/arnoldkim

i use it, but why would you want strangers to follow you and you to follow them?! do you care what someone else is doing if you don't even know the person?

not me my friend.

That's not really the point. You use Facebook statuses to keep in contact with freinds/relatives. Twitter is more for following others who have the same interests as you... or at least thats the way I see it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

I don't know about the rest of the Midwest, but Twitter is fairly popular in Chicago....

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Not to sound like a troll, but what's the actual charm (or use, even) of Twitter? It seems to me it doesn't do anything Myspace or Facebook can't do, and I can only find marginal merit in Myspace and virtually none in Facebook.

Maybe I'm getting old. ):

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Not to sound like a troll, but what's the actual charm (or use, even) of Twitter? It seems to me it doesn't do anything Myspace or Facebook can't do, and I can only find marginal merit in Myspace and virtually none in Facebook.

Maybe I'm getting old. ):

It's all with the people you know. Some people I know I contact better with Twitter, some better with facebook, and others email.

Just like you wouldn't see any merit in AIM if all your friends use MSN.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
It's all with the people you know. Some people I know I contact better with Twitter, some better with facebook, and others email.

Just like you wouldn't see any merit in AIM if all your friends use MSN.

+1. Very well-said.

Still, I'm afraid I might be out of touch - even texting back and forth incessantly doesn't make sense to me. A phone call could have completed the conversation in 2 minutes, and I even hate talking on the phone. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.