Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techage14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2007
California
Since some Boost Mobile phones use Sim cards, is there anyway to activate a phone that has Boost's $50 unlimited plan and use that sim in the iPhone 3G? I'm assuming you could just activate a plan with Boost, take the Sim card out of the phone, and insert it (along with a Rebel Unlocking Sim card) into the sim tray of the iPhone 3G and, you would get unlimited talk, text, & web. Do you think it's possible? I've tried google-ing it and nothing came up about it on the web. What are your thoughts?

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
I've honestly never heard of Boost Mobile.

If it's CDMA (no SIM) it will not work with the iPhone. (as of now)

Some of the lesser known companies use other technologies as opposed to GSM or CDMA. I think Virgin Mobile does something like that.

techage14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2007
California
Boost Mobile uses Sprint/Nextel IDEN network. (no CDMA or GSM support)
Data on Boost is maxed out at 25kbps (no EVDO support)

Howard Forums has a pretty good write up on the technology they use.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1499041

Honestly, I just found that out a few minutes ago. I was disappointed, naturally. iDEN network is similar to the GSM standard but, not close enough. If I where to put that Boost sim into my iPhone 3G, my iPhone would chew it up and spit it out in a vomit of bits and bites. :(

pbarrett

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2009
The iBoost?

Here is a thought,
Boost supports CDMA & iDEN. Most of the customers are iDEN, but some of the early customers were CDMA. From what I understand, you are still able to get a new account as a CDMA and in some cases customer service will convert a iDEN customer to CDMA if you have lost your phone and only have a CDMA replacement. Soon the iphone will be available on Verizon, a CDMA carrier. Is it possible that you could get a new unlocked CDMA iphone and activate it on boost?

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Really, Boost mobile? That would be your choce, Boost mobile? Think about that, Boost mobile. Good luck with that. Even a way more broken AT&T is better than boost mobile.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Sorry

Here is a thought,
Boost supports CDMA & iDEN. Most of the customers are iDEN, but some of the early customers were CDMA. From what I understand, you are still able to get a new account as a CDMA and in some cases customer service will convert a iDEN customer to CDMA if you have lost your phone and only have a CDMA replacement. Soon the iphone will be available on Verizon, a CDMA carrier. Is it possible that you could get a new unlocked CDMA iphone and activate it on boost?

IPhone going to verizon is only a rumor until Apple says it. Till then it remains a rumor. Verizon should really go gsm they would
benifit from it greatly. Not just because of the iPhone most of the world is gsm.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
IPhone going to verizon is only a rumor until Apple says it. Till then it remains a rumor. Verizon should really go gsm they would
benifit from it greatly. Not just because of the iPhone most of the world is gsm.

You really think it would make sense for them to switch to a different 2G technology at a cost of billions of dollars and making every handset any of their customers owns instantly obsolete just so they could provide poorer service (GSM really is a poorer 2G voice technology) for the couple of years that remain before they switch to 4G/LTE?

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Here is a thought,
Rumour.

If the iPhone goes to Verizon, the iPhone is the one changing to LTE, not Verizon. Changing a phone is much easier than changing the whole backbone of a nationwide network.

But yeah, Boost Mobile is terrible. Text messages took 23 hours to arrive. Sorta defeats the point of a text message.

US ARMY 3194

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2010
sucks to be you dude

Really, Boost mobile? That would be your choce, Boost mobile? Think about that, Boost mobile. Good luck with that. Even a way more broken AT&T is better than boost mobile.

hey dude Boost Mobile is actually way better then AT&T cause guess what unlimited everything for 60 a month with blackberry mobile, hmm and freaking coverage all over North America, hmm 60 bucks unlimited everything to AT&T's 200 dollars hmm id go with Boost and dude freaking AT&T is getting rid of your iphones unlimited internet data packages so its going to lose alot of money from that so switch to BOOST MOBILE NOW :D

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
hey dude Boost Mobile is actually way better then AT&T cause guess what unlimited everything for 60 a month with blackberry mobile, hmm and freaking coverage all over North America, hmm 60 bucks unlimited everything to AT&T's 200 dollars hmm id go with Boost and dude freaking AT&T is getting rid of your iphones unlimited internet data packages so its going to lose alot of money from that so switch to BOOST MOBILE NOW :D

Does that make a Kia better than a BMW just because it's a lot cheaper? No... You get what you pay for usually.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
I'll stick with GSM ( a world-wide standard ) versus some niche market cell phone technology REGARDLESS of perception of good or bad quality.

TitanTiger

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
There's nothing wrong with Boost Mobile. Uses the same network as Sprint. Affordable plans. Phones are decent but nothing on the level of an iPhone currently. Certainly not analogous to Kia vs BMW comparisons as far as the network goes. If it was possible to get an iPhone or one of the really good Android phones to work on it, it would be a nice solution for a lot of people.

pbarrett

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2009
you missed the whole point of the question I posted. I know the verizon iphone is a rumor. The question is if they make a verizon (CDMA) iphone is it technically possible to put it on boost?

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
If Boost agrees to have phones on their network from other carriers, yes.

MetroPCS is willing to flash any CDMA phone for you, onto their network, for example. It depends on Boost.

morales3000

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2010
Los Angeles,CA

Boost is growing faster, even I'm paying $55 month and I have unlimited direct connect,FREE calls to US or Mexico, yes FREE (there is a way to do it), without charges and I usually talk for more than 30 min FREE.

rodrethegreat

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
Boost mobile iphone

You will be able to use it just download redsn0w and then just pop it in and you can talk and text nut you can't use the web i tried it and did it.!!!!!!!!!:apple: sucks

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
. Is it possible that you could get a new unlocked CDMA iphone and activate it on boost?

The answer is "NO", for the same reason the CDMA iphone cannot be on Sprint (at least not at the moment), there is No such a thing a an unlocked (or a locked for that matter) CDMA phone. CDMA networks works in different way the phone info need to be programmed on the network for the phone to even see it. (in a nutshell it is actually a bit more complex than that, but for the sake of this argument let's just dumb it down a bit).

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Must we bring these pointless threads back from the grave. A quick google will tell you boost won't work. Newbies just looking for attention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.