Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emacnewbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
Oregon coast
I have a new eMac w/ superdrive and want to start burning discs using iPhoto, iTunes and iDVD but haven't a clue as to which ones to buy. Best brand, type, etc. Any info appreciated.Thanks, Mike

emacnewbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
Oregon coast
Thanks Jim but what I need is advice on the discs themselselves. Brands like Sony, TDK, Verbatim, etc. and specs such as 4X, 700 mb, etc. I'd like to buy cd-r and dvd-r discs that would work well with the eMac supredrive. Thanks again, Mike

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I'd check out cddimensions.com, personally I like Mitsui media. It plays in almost everything and is very durable. Comes in injet or thermal printable, bulk, jewel case, sleeves, you name it. I haven't used their DVD-R media, but I wouldn't hesitate to trust it.

Verbatim is also reliable too.

cpjakes

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Sometimes burning DVDs that you want to play on regular DVD players works best in Toast and not the native OSX burner. Check around - you can make a lot of coasters without that knowledge.... :(

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
for backing up data, almost any media will work. For making quality audio, you may want to look at dye-less media - sometimes more expensive, but a superior product...and it looks more professional.

NP3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Los Angeles
emacnewbie said:
Thanks Jim but what I need is advice on the discs themselselves. Brands like Sony, TDK, Verbatim, etc. and specs such as 4X, 700 mb, etc. I'd like to buy cd-r and dvd-r discs that would work well with the eMac supredrive. Thanks again, Mike

I've had bad luck with Verbatim and Memorex....

Note: if a certain brand is cheaper than the others don't get it...you get what you pay for.

I personally use FujiFilm cd-r and dvd-r and have had zero problems. I usually buy a 100 pack of FujiFilm CD-R.

Also i suggest buying in large quantity....(without jewel cases) You can get the jewel cases for cheap by themselves.

One more thing....be careful of places like best buy selling you dvd-r....if its not marked 4x then its not...don't assume that it is...it will probably be 2x or even 1x

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
NP3 said:
I've had bad luck with Verbatim and Memorex....

Note: if a certain brand is cheaper than the others don't get it...you get what you pay for.

I personally use FujiFilm cd-r and dvd-r and have had zero problems. I usually buy a 100 pack of FujiFilm CD-R.

Also i suggest buying in large quantity....(without jewel cases) You can get the jewel cases for cheap by themselves.

One more thing....be careful of places like best buy selling you dvd-r....if its not marked 4x then its not...don't assume that it is...it will probably be 2x or even 1x

I don't know anything about dvd-r disks but I do know a lot about cd-r and I have used the cheapest ones out there and had no issues at all. never 1 coaster. I guess its also thanks to my very reliable cdrw drive. its a lite-on, was cheap and came very highly recomended and are fully supported my osx. 90$ canadian about 10 months ago.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
carletonmusic said:
Sometimes burning DVDs that you want to play on regular DVD players works best in Toast and not the native OSX burner. Check around - you can make a lot of coasters without that knowledge.... :(
I've never used Toast to burn a DVD and I've never made a coaster. Not one. I burn a lot of DVDs.

I haven't found any real differences in media yet. I've tried the Apple-branded disks and right now I've got a spindle of Memorex disks. They all play fine in all players I've tried them in. I also got some Comp USA-branded disks over the summer. They were under a dollar a piece. No issues yet but I'm not expecting the data on them to live forever.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
carletonmusic said:
If you are backing up DVD movies (like those sold in stores) - you do have to use Toast.

No you don't. After you compress them, make an image of the video_ts folder and burn it in Disk Utility--works great.

krimson

macrumors 65816
CD-R's, i go with whatever is cheap or has a good rebate.. i really dont think it matters anymore what brand, unless you're going to be archiving them for a long time.. in that case Mitsui silvers are pretty good, and those TDK armored ones too, but those cost alot more $$ than my $5 spindle of 50 TDK's (with rebate).

DVD-R, Riteks, Fuji's are good, i personally use Princo's 4x white tops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.