Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericmjl

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Hi guys,

Any of you know how to get an HP 1018 LaserJet running on a MacBook? Is it possible to use the same instructions for the HP LJ1020 or are there different sets of instructions for getting the installed on the computer? Could somebody please post the instructions?

Thanks alot.

Cheers,
Eric

dalbonese

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2006
Hi i am having the same problem. I have a macbook pro and a windows xp pro desktop which hosts the printer. when i try to ass the printer on my macbook it shows up but i dont have the right drivers for the HP 1018. i went to that page above and i could not understand what was going on. can anyone help me with this problem im having?

mackensteff

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2006
Another Plea for HELP!

Same problem as above, but nothing out there has worked yet. Has anyone had any success with this printer?

brettsinger

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
Having the same problem - just got my shiny new Macbook (after years of PC-only computing) but can't get the printer to work. Bummer. Seems like the Linux driver might work but it requires updating the firmware on the printer every time you turn it on (at least that's what I read) which seems a bit excessive.

One post in another forum (on this site) suggested this driver:

http://tinyurl.com/fvjff

Which I'm going to try now.

dalbonese

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2006
does the LJ1022

did anyone get the LJ1022 drivers working. I tried installing them but when i do it installs but i cant see them on the printer list when i try to add the printer.....my LJ1018 is a network printer hooked up to a windows computer.....i can find the printer but i cant find the drivers in the list.

arcsbite

Jan 14, 2006
Anyone get this working?

I just returned from PC World with a none returnable bargain 1018 printer only to find it's not MAc compatible....kill me now.

brettsinger

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
Not me. Wish I could say yes. It's frustrating. Seems like it should work with CUPS but I never managed to get it going. Stupid HP.

Kurt Lang

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Looks like my response may be a bit late, but yes, you can use the HP 1018 in OS X.

If you haven't done it before for another printer, you first need to install "GPL Ghostscript" and "Foomatic-RIP". Which can be downloaded here:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/MacOSX/foo2zjs

Download the first three linked items as follows. Unless you're running OS X 10.2.x, then you need the fourth item instead of the third.

foo2zjs-1.1-UB.dmg
Foomatic-RIP
gplgs-8.61-ub.dmg

After you've installed "GPL Ghostscript" and "Foomatic-RIP", you install the specific printer driver from the "foo2zjs-1.1-UB" download. None of these require a restart. Part of the driver installation launches Terminal and runs a script. You choose the printer you're using from the list and it finishes up the installation. You then have to manually close Terminal. There's a bit of a glitch in Leopard where the Terminal won't respond to the keyboard where it asks to enter your user account password, other than the Enter key. Just keep hitting Enter and it will eventually finish. Don't let it delete the installation files when it asks since that's where your startup script for the printer will be.

After loading the third package, the 1018 shows up in the Printer Setup Utility like any other printer so you can select and add it to your list of printers.

All of this only takes about 15 minutes, including downloading the files. After that, there are firmware loaders for those printers that need them (like the 1018) that you need to run each time you first turn the printer on. These are "stupid" printers that have no firmware on the printer. The Windows drivers load them in the background if the printer has just been turned on. In OS X, you need to do it manually. In this package, the loader it creates is called "load_LaserJet_firmware_v4" (the file that ends up in the installation package). Again, it launches the Terminal and loads the firmware to the printer. And again, you then need to close Terminal manually. Not a big deal of course, just hit Command+Q.

The printer will make a sound like it's about to print something, but that's just the firmware being loaded. Once done, you print to it normally. The only time you need to download the firmware to the printer again is if you've turned it off. I keep the firmware loader on my desktop. We've tried this on both a PowerPC G5 and now have the printer attached to an Intel based Core Duo 2 iMac. Works perfectly for both.

durija

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Thank you, Kurt!

I've been trying to get this to work off and on for about 6 months. Your links and instructions finally got me there. I had found posts with similar information and links, but none of their scenarios worked. Yours did...after about a dozen tries.

For those who are still trying...the exact order of doing things seems very important. Also, GPL Ghostscript and Foomatic-RIP are the easy part. foo2zjs-1.1-UB is the tricky part. I found that when it didn't work, it was essential to uninstall it and start over. Follow the instructions as exactly as possible, line for line. You may still find things don't quite match up, but keep trying! I did and got my printer back.

Kurt Lang

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Excellent! Yes, it's a bit tricky in Leopard. Thanks much for adding what I had intended, but forgot. It is indeed very important to uninstall the driver and start over if you're having trouble.

On our G5, the driver portion ran without a hitch under Tiger. It's Leopard where it seems to have the problem. The foundation where these open source drivers are from lost the person who was overseeing the Mac ports. They're looking for a volunteer to take over that end of the code base. Until then, the driver installer will likely continue to be a bit flaky.

Looking on the main pages again just now, it looks like they may have found a new volunteer. You couldn't miss the plea before. It was a huge red box asking (begging) for a new person to take over the Mac code. :)

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
did anyone get the LJ1022 drivers working. I tried installing them but when i do it installs but i cant see them on the printer list when i try to add the printer.....my LJ1018 is a network printer hooked up to a windows computer.....i can find the printer but i cant find the drivers in the list.

Check out this thread. My sister has a LJ 1022 and I could not get it to work using the drivers from HP's site. I have downloaded the driver as mentioned in the thread (starting from post# 7) but haven't applied it as I waiting to upgrade her computer from Tiger to Leopard. Others in this thread have gotten it to work using this driver (not from HP's site).

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/376544/

Kurt Lang

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Here's a bit more info on the 1018 that may help. There's a similar thread at the Apple Discussions forums where one member posted this:

I did find out, in a circuitous way, from HP Tech Support that the problems many people have trying to reinstall or installing a 1018 is that ALL printing prefs and printer files need to be trashed, the mac should be immediately restarted, then the trash emptied BEFORE you try to do all of the linux stuff.

He also noted that the 1018 has been discontinued and replaced by the 1006. It's only $75 and works on Macs out of the box.

kangaryu79

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008
HP 1018 driver problem??

hi there,

i have tried the step-by-step process listed below by kurt~ and when it's time to print, nothing happens. it's a bit frustrating and am wondering if anyone has troubleshooting ideas.

(1) does it matter in which order the 3 softwares are installed?

(2) i get this message when i load up the firmware. i hear the printer sound as if it's starting up. but, afterwards, when i try to print a document, nothing happens.

Printer HP_LaserJet_1018:
No printer queue found for HP LaserJet 1000.
No printer queue found for HP LaserJet 1005.
Sending HP LaserJet 1018 firmware to printer HP_LaserJet_1018 . . .
lp -d HP_LaserJet_1018 -oraw /usr/local/share/foo2zjs/firmware/sihp1018.dl
request id is HP_LaserJet_1018-7 (1 file(s))
No printer queue found for HP LaserJet 1020.
logout
[Process completed]

any ideas?? thanks, b

Looks like my response may be a bit late, but yes, you can use the HP 1018 in OS X.

If you haven't done it before for another printer, you first need to install "GPL Ghostscript" and "Foomatic-RIP". Which can be downloaded here:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/MacOSX/foo2zjs

Download the first three linked items as follows. Unless you're running OS X 10.2.x, then you need the fourth item instead of the third.

foo2zjs-1.1-UB.dmg
Foomatic-RIP
gplgs-8.61-ub.dmg

After you've installed "GPL Ghostscript" and "Foomatic-RIP", you install the specific printer driver from the "foo2zjs-1.1-UB" download. None of these require a restart. Part of the driver installation launches Terminal and runs a script. You choose the printer you're using from the list and it finishes up the installation. You then have to manually close Terminal. There's a bit of a glitch in Leopard where the Terminal won't respond to the keyboard where it asks to enter your user account password, other than the Enter key. Just keep hitting Enter and it will eventually finish. Don't let it delete the installation files when it asks since that's where your startup script for the printer will be.

After loading the third package, the 1018 shows up in the Printer Setup Utility like any other printer so you can select and add it to your list of printers.

All of this only takes about 15 minutes, including downloading the files. After that, there are firmware loaders for those printers that need them (like the 1018) that you need to run each time you first turn the printer on. These are "stupid" printers that have no firmware on the printer. The Windows drivers load them in the background if the printer has just been turned on. In OS X, you need to do it manually. In this package, the loader it creates is called "load_LaserJet_firmware_v4" (the file that ends up in the installation package). Again, it launches the Terminal and loads the firmware to the printer. And again, you then need to close Terminal manually. Not a big deal of course, just hit Command+Q.

The printer will make a sound like it's about to print something, but that's just the firmware being loaded. Once done, you print to it normally. The only time you need to download the firmware to the printer again is if you've turned it off. I keep the firmware loader on my desktop. We've tried this on both a PowerPC G5 and now have the printer attached to an Intel based Core Duo 2 iMac. Works perfectly for both.

Kurt Lang

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Hi kangaryu79,

Did you try resetting the printing system? In Tiger, you hold down the Option key while launching Print Setup in the Utilities folder. It will ask you if you want to reset. In Leopard, open the System Preferences and click on the Print & Fax icon. In the left pane where your printers are listed Control+click anywhere in the panel. You get a contextual menu to "Reset printing system...".

Note that you'll have to reinstall/add all of your printers again if you do this.

As far as order, I installed Foomatic-RIP first, then the GPL Ghostscript. The drivers for the printer itself, last.

kangaryu79

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008
HP 1018 Drivers for Mac OSX 10.4

hi there,

thanks for your response.

i've reset the printer and also uninstalled and reinstalled all of the programs and driver at the end again--to no avail.

everything seems to be good to go, but as i try to print a document, nothing happens. when i have my system preference open to "print & fax", i can actually see the status change from "idle" to "in use" for a couple seconds, but nothing prints and the indicator goes back to "idle." the documents also show up when i open the "print queue" list, but the column under "state" show a blank.

i've tried to be meticulous in following the process in installing all that's necessary. i'm not sure where i might have gone wrong.

any other suggestions?

rhammack

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
Firmware Not Found

I followed the setup instructions for loading the GPL Ghostscript, Foomatic-RIP , and foo2zjs-1.1-UB. Everything seemed to go well. Then when I tried to run the load_LaserJet_firmware_v4 I came up with an error which said:

Printer HP_LaserJet_1018:
No printer queue found for HP LaserJet 1000.
No printer queue found for HP LaserJet 1005.
Cannot locate firmware file.
No printer queue found for HP LaserJet 1020.

Do you have any suggestions?

carldiesterweg

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
Hey

I have heard they have changed the file directory of the server, so that the script can no longer download the firmware if you want to update it onto the printer.

That s why you get the "cannot locate firmware file" notification.

I also did not manage to upload the firmware manually. However, now I came across to a solution that worked:

1) Install the three items as explained by Kurt Lang, but do not bother uploading the firmware.

2) Now take your printer and print a page with a Windows PC (I was using XP Pro, but it should work with any version) By printing this one page the firmware is loaded onto the printer by Windows. NB The firmware whether printer with mac or windows is the same, only the mac driver is crucially important.

3) The printer MUST now remain connected to the power supply and you take the usb cable and plug it into your mac.

4) Then you should be able to print.

This works on all the macs of my friends. Obviously if you turn the printer off / power cut etc you need to repeat step 2) and 3)

I don't suggest anyone to buy the HP P1006, someone said it would work with a mac out of the box, but this is not entirely true. You may print, but apparently pdf files take a very long time to print and it is generally unstable.

If anyone is considering buying a new laser bw printer, I would suggest the brother HL-2035

Thanks

five

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2002
2) Now take your printer and print a page with a Windows PC (I was using XP Pro, but it should work with any version) By printing this one page the firmware is loaded onto the printer by Windows. NB The firmware whether printer with mac or windows is the same, only the mac driver is crucially important.

3) The printer MUST now remain connected to the power supply and you take the usb cable and plug it into your mac.

Thanks for the heads up, my printer had mysteriously stopped working for some reason even though it was saying the pages were going through fine.

After doing this, they actually started printing again. Woot!

Kurt Lang

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Dummy me! Thanks, carldiesterweg. That's a good workaround.

Another would be if you have Windows installed in any way on an Intel based Mac. If you're using Boot Camp, boot into Windows and print anything to the 1018 to get the firmware loaded. Then boot back to OS X. Just make sure to leave the printer on so it maintains the firmware. Also of course, launch Windows within OS X through VMWare or other virtualization software and print anything to the 1018 from the Windows environment.

Jim Clark

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2009
foo2zjs drivers do work for HP laserjet 1018 on iMac

Thanks Kurt, Durija, and Carl for your help in getting this to work.

I just wanted to report that I did get the HP LaserJet 1018 to work with my new iMac (20" with OS X10.5.6)

I followed Kurt Lang's suggestions, but must have made a mistake, as it didn't work the first time.
After some frustration I tried Carl's suggestion of printing a page from my old windows XP laptop to initialize the printer. Then without turning the printer off, I reconnected it to the iMac and it worked.

With renewed enthusiasm I then followed Durija's advice to uninstall Foo2zjs and reinstall it being more careful:
hit enter when asked for administrator password
hit 6 to select the 1018 firmware
hit enter several times when asked for password again
hit n when asked if I wanted to remove a copy of the firmware

I copied the"load_Laserjet_firmware re_v4" script to desktop
(located in the download stack, Foo2zjs... , "helper" folder)

Then added a new printer in "apple" - system preferences - print/fax
(it found the 1018 printer and the "HP Laserjet 1018 Foomatic..." driver automatically)

Then ran the load firmware script from desktop - the printer made some start up noise

Then - voila - the iMac could print to the 1018 !

Thanks again everyone for their help

Cheers
Jim

Hey

I have heard they have changed the file directory of the server, so that the script can no longer download the firmware if you want to update it onto the printer.

That s why you get the "cannot locate firmware file" notification.

I also did not manage to upload the firmware manually. However, now I came across to a solution that worked:

1) Install the three items as explained by Kurt Lang, but do not bother uploading the firmware.

This works on all the macs of my friends. Obviously if you turn the printer off / power cut etc you need to repeat step 2) and 3)

I don't suggest anyone to buy the HP P1006, someone said it would work with a mac out of the box, but this is not entirely true. You may print, but apparently pdf files take a very long time to print and it is generally unstable.

If anyone is considering buying a new laser bw printer, I would suggest the brother HL-2035

Thanks

petermuir

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2006
St Albans
I've got my HP 1018 up and running following the advice above but the printer will only print a single copy of a page file.

In Copies & Pages I've set a Copies to 5 still only prints 1 copy

In Printer Features I've set the drop-down Copied menu to 5 still only prints 1 copy.

I'm using Tiger on a Mini Mac PowerPC machine.

Grateful for any advice or help.

PM

BigHungry04

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
Kentucky
I've got my HP 1018 up and running following the advice above but the printer will only print a single copy of a page file.

In Copies & Pages I've set a Copies to 5 still only prints 1 copy

In Printer Features I've set the drop-down Copied menu to 5 still only prints 1 copy.

I'm using Tiger on a Mini Mac PowerPC machine.

Grateful for any advice or help.

PM

My HP ColorLaserJet 1600 does the same thing. When I need to print multiple copies I just boot in to Windows XP to do it. I don't know how to fix it, but it isn't a big deal to boot in to windows. Also my printer won't print in color on Leopard, also not a big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.