Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
While these speed tests are fun and all, they may not be a true reflection of throughput for your particular connection.

When I want to test throughput, I DL the Mac OS 9.2.1 update from Apple's site. The file is 82MB in size. I time the DL.

The fastest that I have DL'ed it was using my friend's FTTH connection. It took 7 seconds -- and that was quite a few years ago here in Japan.

So for those who really want to see how fast your DL time is, you can DL the file mentioned above and time the DL. If you do, please post the actual time in minutes/seconds to DL the file.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
While these speed tests are fun and all, they may not be a true reflection of throughput for your particular connection.

When I want to test throughput, I DL the Mac OS 9.2.1 update from Apple's site. The file is 82MB in size. I time the DL.

The fastest that I have DL'ed it was using my friend's FTTH connection. It took 7 seconds -- and that was quite a few years ago here in Japan.

So for those who really want to see how fast your DL time is, you can DL the file mentioned above and time the DL. If you do, please post the actual time in minutes/seconds to DL the file.

I downloaded the 9.2.1 update at 1.1 MB/s. I downloaded the 72.2 MB Quicktime package in no more than 2 seconds.

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA

Well in my case, my results were accurate. I use bitorrent to re-download ubuntu or openoffice to test throughput.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I downloaded the 9.2.1 update at 1.1 MB/s. I downloaded the 72.2 MB Quicktime package in no more than 2 seconds.
Okay, so if I understand you correctly, it took you about 75 seconds to DL the Mac OS 9.2.1 update. And it took you about 2 seconds to DL the QT package. Quite a difference in DL speeds (8.8 Mbps vs 288.8 Mbps).

Maybe QT package was on a local server (Mirrored?) on your Intranet where as the Mac OS 9.2.1 update was via the Internet.

Well in my case, my results were accurate. I use bitorrent to re-download ubuntu or openoffice to test throughput.
Cool.

So many providers out there advertise one thing and the customer sees quite another. This is especially true for large file downloads.

clockworkorange

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Speeds using Apple Airport Express (802.11b/g) 2006 Model.

441857382.png

I'll post my speed using a Wired Connection in a few.

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
may I be the first to say that you fail because that is not your internet connection speed, that is your intranet speed... test your connection somewhere other than the server that is at your school

that being said, here's mine

You sure? Tested some different connections with terrific results.

Georgia Tech has the second fastest Internet in the United States. (Pentagon has the first)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
You sure? Tested some different connections with terrific results.

Georgia Tech has the second fastest Internet in the United States. (Pentagon has the first)
Quite a drop from the before mentioned 424Mbps when you go off campus outside of Atlanta.

Curious. How do you know that you are the second fastest out there? Link?

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
Internet Speed - how do you compare with mine?

I subscribe to Brighthouse's 15mb/s package w/ Turbo Boost for $57.95 per month and this is what I get for it. I actually pay $47.95 per month for the 1st year when I moved up from a lesser mb/s package. I do seem to recall getting a better upload speed. I think it was in the 4mb/s range, I guess the Turbo upload was not turned on.

Here is their details of it.
http://cfl.mybrighthouse.com/products_and_pricing/internet/compare_plans/road_runner/default.aspx

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 361
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.