Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trickx54x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Hey Guys,
I have an MS Word document that is password protected on my mac (10.5) and I need to be able to read the document. As of right now it wont let me open the file. Any suggestions on how to get around the password or programs to crack it? Thanks.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
The password is there for a reason. Obviously, someone doesn't want you to read the file.

trickx54x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
It's my computer and I put the password on myself a year or so ago, but just forgot it. Obviously if you don't want to help, that's fine. I'm just looking for someone who does.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Cracks for such purposes are questionable as far as the Forum Rules go as well. Your best bet is to Google for the information. It may be quicker than getting a taker here.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yea, it's not that we don't trust you, (snip)

Yes it is. People will inherently gravitate towards LIAR and THEIF when it comes to requests of these natures. Check the iPhone forums if you need further evidence. However, I would say if asking this question isn't an issue (the lack of the thread closure and similar threads remaining open are proof enough for me) then giving an answer shouldn't be either.

I have been faced with this same issue but I was in windows. A simple google search helped me find an application that I had to pay $20 for. It solved my issue and the document was worth my $20 and time as it was very important. Clearly not important enough to write the password down, but important enough all the same.

I would google something similar for Mac. I would do it for you, but that would take the fun out of your treasure hunt and I don't want to steal your thunder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.