Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nathanj.massey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Leeds UK
Have Apple stopped putting the little white Apple Remote's in the box with the new iMac's and Mac Mini's? From looking at the product pages for both machines, it looks like they have stopped including them.

matt1219

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
At least refurbs have Remote included.

A question, while the new ones doesn't have Remote I was thinking of buy one from friend who was 3 of 'em, so will that work on my iMac? It's used of course

Yes, any Apple Remote will instantly work with any remote-compatible Mac.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
I own both the 2007 and 2008 iMac 24 inch and both definitely came with the remote. This is the first time Apple cheapskated the remote for the iMac line.

I can see the justification for making the remote an option on small screen laptops, but on the large screen, movie-friendly 24 inch iMac?

For machines where customers need to fork over upwards of 2 grand, it's just silly nickel and dimeing on Apple's part.

Hot Snowboarder

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2009
Behind you...!
Apple has been giving them away with new computers for ages.

I would figure that they think most people buying macs now are upgrading and already have the remote.

If you're a switcher its not hard to pick up one the remotes either.

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
Apple stopped giving them out to make us buy them, nobody is not going to buy a Mac because there is no remote, and some people will buy them as an accessory, so apple wins.

I also win as I kept the one which came with my old Mac mini when I sold it for the same reason, it wasn't going to stop people bidding on it on eBay.

I now use a two year old remote with my two week old MBA :)

itommyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Titletown USA
Apple TV iPhone Remote Work?

Yeah I got lucky when I returned my week old imac for a newer one she gave me my remote (no charge) because the store was out of them ( same for my num pad wired keyboard).

Just a thought does the iphone remote app for Apple TV work on macs as well? If not this is the kind of thing someone should create as an app for the iphone. Something that someone can actually use and continue to use as opposed to the cesspool of useless mediocre junk on the crapps I mean apps store! :eek: *End out of nowhere rant*

I to think it's a bummer they ditched the remotes. If only because it's one more of those "ah the little extra Apple touches" moments that come upon onboxing a mac, forever gone.

bstreiff

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Have Apple stopped putting the little white Apple Remote's in the box with the new iMac's and Mac Mini's? From looking at the product pages for both machines, it looks like they have stopped including them.

Yep.

They stopped including them with the laptops a while ago (the generation of MacBooks before they went aluminum didn't have them). It was only a matter of time before they'd get dropped from the desktops as well.

If you have an Apple Remote from another Mac, it'll work just as well.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Apple (and others) have long histories of including extras with a purchase only to take them away later. See iPod. MB with no video adapter.

mattn4040

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2009
England
I was considering buying a remote to use for Front Row, but it says (on the mac UK online store) the imac requires IR for it to work. How do i know if my imac has IR?

bstreiff

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
I was considering buying a remote to use for Front Row, but it says (on the mac UK online store) the imac requires IR for it to work. How do i know if my imac has IR?

All iMacs since the iMac G5 with iSight have the IR sensor for the Apple Remote.

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
I went and bought the official dock last week when my old iwantit dock broke.

I no longer have my ipod connected to speakers for music as my new imac can easily run both itunes and everything else at the same time so i use the remote i got with that on my mac and use the dock to sync/charge only.

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
They where included until this refresh. I purchased two iMacs last year both had an Apple Remote included.

My late 2008 iMac came with an Apple Remote as well. Considering Apple is sitting on nearly $29 billion in cash reserves this is a pretty lame way to cut costs. :mad:

Following this trend I suppose with the next release of the iMac you'll simply get the iMac... Period. Keyboard and mouse will be à la carte. :eek:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
My late 2008 iMac came with an Apple Remote as well. Considering Apple is sitting on nearly $29 billion in cash reserves this is a pretty lame way to cut costs. :mad:

Following this trend I suppose with the next release of the iMac you'll simply get the iMac... Period. Keyboard and mouse will be à la carte. :eek:

Some day we'll get an iMac without screen. You have to buy the LCD as a BTO :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.