Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Saw someone else's response on a post which mentioned Bootcamp 3.0 and how they had got them from Mininova. The thing that intrigued me was that they said it had built in HSF+ support (about time, don't know why this wasn't already a feature of Bootcamp).

So did a search on Mininova and found the torrent. problem was the person who had uploaded it said it worked on Win 7 32 bit but it hadn't been tested on 64 bit, I had this and when I tried to run it encountered problems.

Microsoft in one of their more dubious decisions, has set 64 bit Vista and 7 to enforce digitally signed drivers. Supposedly for security reasons, however doesn't offer that much of an issue for malware creators, does cause an issue for smaller developers who can't afford to pay MS for certificates as their drivers will not run on 64 bit.

So when installing Bootcamp 3.0 I had errors that some of the drivers were not digitally signed, on reboot Start up Repair loaded, a System Restore was done and Bootcamp was undone. Tried using the msi's from the Limo patch, this allowed Bootcamp 3.0 to run fine, however no HSF+ support afterwards.

Did some research today and have managed to get it to work on 64 bit Win 7 with full HSF+ support. No longer need to pay out for 3rd party SW to access files on the Mac partition :D

So here's what I did to get it to work:

1. Turn off UAC and restart.

2. Open Start, type cmd into Start Search, right click on cmd in results and choose run as administrator.

3. In comand prompt typed: bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

4. Downloaded Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider (DSEO) from http://www.ngohq.com/attachments/new...-7-dseo13b.exe

5. Edit Download Boot_Camp_3_micro_by_LIMO.zip from http://www.speedyshare.com/443448130.html, copy Bootcamp folder from install CD to the computer, and then copy the files from the limo patch and overwrite the old ones. Run Set Up, j OK the messages about unsigned drivers, on finish click no when it asks to restart.

6. Ran DSEO, chose Enable Test Mode

7. Chose Sign a System File in DSEO. (This step needs to be repeated at least 4 times)

8. In the location box type:

c:\windows\system 32\drivers\applehfs.sys

c:\windows\system 32\drivers\applemnt.sys

c:\windows\system 32\drivers\keyagent.sys

c:\windows\system 32\drivers\machaldriver.sys

(also added to other files to be on the safe side don't know if it was needed or not, applemtm.sys and applemtp.sys).

*Note* If like me you're using a MacBook Pro and have the KB set to UK, then you might be wondering where the \ key is as the keyboard layout isn't set till after the system is restarted. I got round this by Start> Ease of access> On screen keyboard.

9. Restart and voila, working Bootcamp with full HSF+ support. Can see my Leopard partition in Computer and access it as if I had Macdrive installed :D

Clipboard01-1.jpg

On the latency issue, have noticed kbdmgr.exe has been replaced with bootmanager.exe. Unfortunately still getting the screen freezing for a couple of seconds every now and then, so have had to kill the process in Task Manager.

In regards to the trackpad, it is working fine for tap to click, 2 finger tap to click and 2 finger scrolling.

valvehead

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
USA
On the latency issue, have noticed kbdmgr.exe has been replaced with bootmanager.exe. Unfortunately still getting the screen freezing for a couple of seconds every now and then, so have had to kill the process in Task Manager.

May I ask you to do us a favor? Could you run DPC Latency Checker and post screen shots before and after disabling bootmanager.exe?

Also, does disabling bootmanager.exe make the media keys and IR remote stop working?

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Will take screens for you, no worries. Can test media keys but don't have a remote to test the IR sensor

Edit: Screens

Bootcamp.exe running

dpc1.jpg

Bootcamp.exe stopped

dpc2.jpg

Bootcamp.exe stopped and sound disabled

dpcnosound.jpg

Bootcamp.exe stopped and graphics disabled

dpcnovga.jpg

Bootcamp.exe stopped and sound and graphics disabled

dpcnosoundvga.jpg

So Bootcamp.exe is bad, sound and graphics drivers look problematic as well. Downloading the latest 185.85 Nvidia drivers, will see if that helps. Will also look to replace the sound driver.

Media keys don't seem to work, even when Bootcamp.exe is running.

valvehead

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
USA
Thanks for the screenshots.

That's horrible. I was crossing my fingers that Apple would have fixed the DPC latency problems for Boot Camp 3.

Seeing that it hasn't passed WHQL yet, maybe we should write to Microsoft and demand that they deny approval until Apple gets it fixed :D

limo79

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Great job. I downloaded these drivers yesterday and I am going to install them on Windows 7 Beta, but 32-bit :) But first of all I think that instead of using modified msi files I have taken from BootCamp 2.x version you should modify msi files from BootCamp 3 - maybe installer has some additional entries to install HFS+ drivers.

Update: I installed drivers just from Apple directory using setup.exe. Good news there is no need to use LIMO patch with modified msi files I prepared for BootCamp 2.x to avoid installation error 2229 :) HFS+ driver support works great, but only READ access rights. I hope that Apple will extend it to WRITE in the future. Bad news - still latency issue.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Thanks for the screenshots.

That's horrible. I was crossing my fingers that Apple would have fixed the DPC latency problems for Boot Camp 3.

Seeing that it hasn't passed WHQL yet, maybe we should write to Microsoft and demand that they deny approval until Apple gets it fixed :D

I'm just going to hope and pray it's because they're still in beta. If not, we need to email this thread to Apple ASAP (not that it would probably do much).

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Great job. I downloaded these drivers yesterday and I am going to install them on Windows 7 Beta, but 32-bit :) But first of all I think that instead of using modified msi files I have taken from BootCamp 2.x version you should modify msi files from BootCamp 3 - maybe installer has some additional entries to install HFS+ drivers.

Can I install these drivers in the same way on Windows 7 32-bit ? Do u know where are the drivers responsible for HFS support located in iso ?.

According to the person who uploaded the torrent they work fine on 32 bit Win 7 RC. It's the fact some of them aren't digitally signed that causes the issue with 64 bit. 32 doesn't have that limitation in Windows.

Am just about to go to bed, so will have a look at the iso to see if I can work out the new drivers for HFS support tomorrow.

I am asking because instead of installing new drivers that do not support Mac features we can replace them with old files from BootCamp 2.x or just delete drivers that do not work then our BootCamp3 installer will skip them. Install BootCamp 2.x missing drivers manually.

As for modifying the msi's for 3, not my forte unfortunately, it's not something I've ever done. Can install Bootcamp to bypass problematic drivers, however then running them manually is going to cause the same issue re the non digital signing in 64 bit.

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
So Bootcamp.exe is bad, sound and graphics drivers look problematic as well. Downloading the latest 185.85 Nvidia drivers, will see if that helps. Will also look to replace the sound driver.

1. Run Process-Manager and set Bootcamp.exe's "Affinity" to CPU1 (not CPU0!).

2. Install Rivatuner and and fix the graphic-card's "Performance Level" to "Low Power 3D" or "Performance 3D". https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/7643355/

3. Disable "ACPI Battery" via Hardware-Manager.

4. Install the latest WLAN driver from Microsoft's "Update Catalog" (website can only be accessed via Internet Explorer) or disable WLAN via Hardware-Manager.

5. Check DPC Latency both Idle and under load. To check under load run "Prime95" in Torture Test mode.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
1. Run Process-Manager and set Bootcamp.exe's "Affinity" to CPU1 (not CPU0!).

2. Install Rivatuner and and fix the graphic-card's "Performance Level" to "Low Power 3D" or "Performance 3D". https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/7643355/

3. Disable "ACPI Battery" via Hardware-Manager.

4. Install the latest WLAN driver from Microsoft's "Update Catalog" (website can only be accessed via Internet Explorer) or disable WLAN via Hardware-Manager.

5. Check DPC Latency both Idle and under load. To check under load run "Prime95" in Torture Test mode.

Ok,

1. Changed affinity to CPU1 in Task Manager

2. Did part of this, could do the first step in Power user, setting values of Enable Low Power 3d Control and Enable perf Level Forcing to 1, was unable to customise drivers settings though, comes up no driver detected (see screen):

capture_21052009_011724.jpg

3. Done

4. Disabled WLAN driver in Device Manager

5. DPC Latency Idle:

capture_21052009_012452.jpg

DPC latency while running Torture Test

capture_21052009_013441.jpg

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
2. Did part of this, could do the first step in Power user, setting values of Enable Low Power 3d Control and Enable perf Level Forcing to 1, was unable to customise drivers settings though, comes up no driver detected (see screen):
There might be a conflict between the latest 185 drivers and Rivatuner, I'm still using 179 here. I will have to check that myself first.

Just make sure that when you install Rivatuner and it asks you about updating some files from the net that you allow it to do that even when those files are marked as "older". That is/was needed for Rivatuner to work properly here.

If you install the Broadcom driver from Microsoft Update Catalog you don't need to disable WLAN for good performance anymore. It's called "Broadcom - Network - Broadcom 4322AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter" dated 22/10/08. Additionally it will allow full 300 mbit/s speeds instead of just 130 mbit/s like with the Bootcamp and OS X driver.

I wrote a script based solution for KBDMGR.EXE which should also work for BOOTCAMP.EXE that will:

a. Automatically start the process with CPU affinity 1 and IDLE CPU priority.
b. Allow you to switch it on/off via a keyboard or icon shortcut.
c. Allow you to start Windows without automatically starting KBDMGR/BOOTCAMP but start it manually later (Apple tries to disallow that). This is especially necessary if you are using Parallels or VMWare with your Bootcamp installation in order to prevent very long startup times for Parallels/VMWare.

Boot CampED - Download Page

valvehead

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
USA
Timur,

Thanks for the tip on setting the processor affinity on KbdMgr.exe. It makes a huge difference. I'll give your script a shot.

2. Did part of this, could do the first step in Power user, setting values of Enable Low Power 3d Control and Enable perf Level Forcing to 1, was unable to customise drivers settings though, comes up no driver detected

In Rivatuner, go to the Power User tab. Deselect the Hexadecimal Display button on the bottom. Then go to RivaTuner \ System > ForceDriverVersion and put in your driver version with no period (18585 for most recent). You'll probably have to reboot after that.

After rebooting, it will still say "No supported drivers...", but you will be able to click on the customize button now.

I don't know whether or not it actually works properly after forcing the driver. I haven't yet compared different settings to see if the clock speeds actually change.

Attachments

• force driver version.png
    force driver version.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 6,646

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Timur,

Thanks for the tip on setting the processor affinity on KbdMgr.exe. It makes a huge difference. I'll give your script a shot.
My pleasure, it wasn't me who found out about the affinity thing though. Anyway, for professional low latency audio and probably for gaming you have to kill/disable KBDMGR.EXE, else you'll still get dropouts.

I don't know whether or not it actually works properly after forcing the driver. I haven't yet compared different settings to see if the clock speeds actually change.
For non-gaming you should always use "Low Power 3D". 2D leads to DPC Latency spikes and thus drop-outs and "Performance 3D" runs at full clocks and voltages all of the time = heat and power consumption gallore. Heck, I'm playing Civilization 4 from time to time and "Low Power 3D" is more than suffient for that. :cool:

limo79

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
File name:Boot_Camp_3_micro_by_LIMO.zip
File size: 4,70 MB (4 931 043 bytes)

CRC: 5113D5A3
MD5: f26871b1753b9a318a8818813bd03f32

This package include Boot Camp 3.0 (3.0.0) Windows drivers from OSX Snow Leopard 10.6 (Build 10A314) with Windows HFS+ drivers (READ access only) which allow Windows installations to read Mac OS X HFS+ formatted partitions.

All existing Boot Camp drivers that you have installed on your Mac will be not upgraded.

This driver package updates ONLY following Boot Camp files:

AppleSoftwareUpdate.msi 2 083 840 bytes Apple Software Update 2.1.1.116
BootCamp.msi 2 909 696 bytes Boot Camp 3.0.0
BootCamp64.msi 2 988 544 bytes Boot Camp 3.0.0

Download link: http://www.speedyshare.com/443448130.html

Install notes:

1) Run setup.exe in Boot Camp direcory.
2) Restart your Mac.

Enjoy !

Have fun !

P.S. I hope that package works fine, if not please let me send a note.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
In Rivatuner, go to the Power User tab. Deselect the Hexadecimal Display button on the bottom. Then go to RivaTuner \ System > ForceDriverVersion and put in your driver version with no period (18585 for most recent). You'll probably have to reboot after that.

After rebooting, it will still say "No supported drivers...", but you will be able to click on the customize button now.

Cheers, that did the trick dude :)

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK

This package include Boot Camp 3.0 (3.0.0) Windows drivers from OSX Snow Leopard 10.6 (Build 10A314) with
Windows HFS+ drivers (READ access only) which allow Windows installations to read Mac OS X HFS+ formatted partitions.

All existing Boot Camp drivers that you have installed on your Mac will be not upgraded.

Install notes:

2) Restart your Mac.

Enjoy !

Have fun !

Nice work Dude, will use if I have to re-install Windows at any point :D

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Timur

Updated the wireless driver, managed to complete step 2 thanks to valvehead's advice, and D/L'd and ran Boot CampED, had to edit it to change kbdmgr.exe to bootcamp.exe inorder to get it to work.

The change in DPC latencies is amazing now, have been running it for 5 minutes now, and not a single yellow bar in site, let alone any reds, and I haven't had to kill bootcamp.exe.

Here's a nice soothing screen :)

capture_21052009_114552.jpg

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Great that you got it working! :)

Just remember KBDMGR/BOOTCAMP can cause dropouts even with DPC Latencies in perfect green! :apple:

That's why there is a script in my package that enables you to easily turn KBDMGR/BOOTCAMP off/on via icon- and keyboard shortcut. I use right-alt+. for that and right-alt+, for starting the Bootcamp settings dialog. The latter can even be used when KBDMGR is not running (like changing tap-to-click and which OS/partition to start from).

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California

This package include Boot Camp 3.0 (3.0.0) Windows drivers from OSX Snow Leopard 10.6 (Build 10A314) with Windows HFS+ drivers (READ access only) which allow Windows installations to read Mac OS X HFS+ formatted partitions.

Install notes:

2) Restart your Mac.

Enjoy !

Have fun !

P.S. I hope that package works fine, if not please let me send a note.

I offer you my first child. Thank you so much guy.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
Before I install it, I want to know what it fixes.

My only issue right now is the trackpad.
  • Does scrolling work better? Is it super fast, or do they slow it down?
  • Does tap-to-click work better? Can I actually use this now?
  • Is clicking easier on the new MacBooks?

Apparently the DPC-Latency is still an issue, but that doesn't bother me that much.

How about hybrid-graphics? Can we finally use the 9400m to get an extra hour of battery life?

Speaking of battery life, does BC3.0 help at all? It's ridiculous that we can only get 1-2 hours of battery life because Apple locks down the clock rates!

Any other "Definitely upgrade!" comments? I already have Windows 7 installed and I'm not sure how well an upgrade will work with it. Scared to proceed.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
Will take screens for you, no worries. Can test media keys but don't have a remote to test the IR sensor

Edit: Screens

Bootcamp.exe running

dpc1.jpg

Bootcamp.exe stopped

dpc2.jpg

Bootcamp.exe stopped and sound disabled

dpcnosound.jpg

Bootcamp.exe stopped and graphics disabled

dpcnovga.jpg

Bootcamp.exe stopped and sound and graphics disabled

dpcnosoundvga.jpg

I went ahead and bit the bullet. Followed the guide and everything seems to be working except the media keys. Already deleted my Windows partition iTunes library and all my pictures and now everything stays synced with MacOX. :D Noticed that under my username, no folders show up, but I can manually go to the folders. Hmm... some work still needed here!

Any ideas for the media keys? I can't use brightness, previous, next, play/pause, mute, volume, or eject.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
Forgot to mention that it killed my trackpad. No more multitouch and it doens't even show up in the Boot Camp manager. I've tried to reinstall the driver for it but it says it can't find a compatible device.

cfttester

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
Forgot to mention that it killed my trackpad. No more multitouch and it doens't even show up in the Boot Camp manager. I've tried to reinstall the driver for it but it says it can't find a compatible device.
The only bug that MUST be fixed Apple "forgot" to fix. No way my next notebook will have word "apple" in the name. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.