Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rascal77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Hey all - I have a 12' iBook G4 (1.33 ghz) that took a tumble and the power connector snapped off inside of it. I took it apart, popped out the broken bit from the dc-in board, and used it until the battery drained. It worked fine until then.

I bought a new power cord, but it failed to charge the battery, and after searching through countless forums, I figured the problem was the dc-in board. I bought a replacement, and just installed it. Now, the battery indicator lights (the four green ones) are showing that it's charging up. It's on three right now. But the computer still won't power on. No fan noise, no other lights. I tried the PMU reset, but nothing. It's weird.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

rascal77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Thanks for replying.

I looked that up, but I'd need to power on the computer first, and that's just not happening. The battery is charged, judging by the indicator lights on it, but that doesn't seem to do anything. The power button isn't even lit up. I tried removing the battery and powering it on with just the power cord attached, but no dice. I am confused.

rascal77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Do you think it might have something to do with the power switch? I had to remove the casing on the keyboard side to pop out the broken piece. The bit where the power switch connects to the motherboard is attached to that casing. Is it possible that it came loose? It didn't come off, but I'm just trying to narrow down some possibilities here.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
you said in your previous post that it snapped something on the DC board? that is BAD. This is why your laptop is not getting power because the circut is broken. You going to need to take this to a Apple store and have them look at it. Your possibly going to be up for a new motherboard because the dc boards are a physical component i believe.

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2008
Canada
Not so sure about laptops. . because of the whole battery thing, but you could attempt to Reset the SMC

edit: PMU is probably the same thing. . you said you did that so I guess that option is out. .

What about removing RAM, re-installing it, and trying another outlet? worked for my intel iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.