Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
umm, i don't think USB has nearly enough bandwidth for component video/audio transfer... there used to be a device called the Buzz by Iomega, it might provide USB connectivity, don't remember.

paul

taxman

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2003
There is a device that does that, the eskape labs myview. I bought it off ebay about a year agoand it is difficult to use. If you would like more information i'll be glad to help. :)

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
i am unaware of some options, however, I have an RCA->USB INPUT device, but that same device cannot do output. so i'm not sure. sorry!

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
pa
taxman said:
There is a device that does that, the eskape labs myview. I bought it off ebay about a year agoand it is difficult to use. If you would like more information i'll be glad to help. :)
is eskape still in buisness? their site hasnt been updated in 2 years oh did u know one of the brady bunch kids owns it ne way is it my view or myvideo /c i cant find any my view

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
usb 1.1 and 2.0 both have plenty of bandwidth for audio. Digidesign makes 24 bit USB in/out desks for Protools, so i would say that its not a b-platform.
the m-audio transit is optical/digital i/o so thats not what you want.

now the Edirol UA-1X is a good device and i can vouch for it.
http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/product.cfm?pid=4130 $79
the UA-1X is an update of the old UA-1A, and it is worlds better in terms of configurability, stability, and reliability.

Now what machine are you needing this for? if your machine has a 1/8" input, then a shielded 1/8" to RCA converter ($5-$10 @ radio shack) would give you the same audio quality. and with that in mind, the Griffin iMic with the aforementioned converter would all together run you $50 tops and would be the best deal.

if you are using this to convert a vinyl record collection, you would also need a preamp as RCA USB cards are line level, not phono level.

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
pa
adamjay said:
usb 1.1 and 2.0 both have plenty of bandwidth for audio. Digidesign makes 24 bit USB in/out desks for Protools, so i would say that its not a b-platform.
the m-audio transit is optical/digital i/o so thats not what you want.

now the Edirol UA-1X is a good device and i can vouch for it.
http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/product.cfm?pid=4130 $79
the UA-1X is an update of the old UA-1A, and it is worlds better in terms of configurability, stability, and reliability.

Now what machine are you needing this for? if your machine has a 1/8" input, then a shielded 1/8" to RCA converter ($5-$10 @ radio shack) would give you the same audio quality. and with that in mind, the Griffin iMic with the aforementioned converter would all together run you $50 tops and would be the best deal.

if you are using this to convert a vinyl record collection, you would also need a preamp as RCA USB cards are line level, not phono level.
im planning on chopping up an imac g3 for us in a car see herehttps://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=781812#post781812

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
in that case, radio shack... 1/8" male to RCA converter or you may be able to find a cable with those connections to the length you want.. usually around $5

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
adamjay said:
if your machine has a 1/8" input, then a shielded 1/8" to RCA converter ($5-$10 @ radio shack) would give you the same audio quality

I might have to disagree. It will work OK, but honestly, the stock Apple Digital/Analog output/input convertors are not really that great. They are sloppy in the low and midrange, and lackluster on the high end. If you want this for any reason other than BASIC home audio use (like listening to mp3's on a low-end home system), you might honestly want to buy a dedicated USB audio interface. As other people have posted, there are some inexpensive options you can consider that will give you a HUGE jump in quality over the OEM Apple output jack. Go to Guitar Center and ask the Pro Audio dept (or check out Sam ash.com).

nargot

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Australia
adamjay said:
...if your machine has a 1/8" input, then a shielded 1/8" to RCA converter ($5-$10 @ radio shack) would give you the same audio quality. and with that in mind, the Griffin iMic with the aforementioned converter would all together run you $50 tops and would be the best deal.

The iMic does a great job with RCA input and output

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
My teacher had one of those Escape things connected to his 500mhz iMac g3 and it was horrible- slow response time- IN APPLEWORKS PRESENTATION

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.