Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpr131

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Washington, DC
For those of you in the DC Metro area:

ARLINGTON, Va. - Police in Arlington are on the scene of a shooting at an Apple Store on Clarendon Boulevard.

It happened shortly after 10 a.m. at 2700 Clarendon Blvd. One person was shot and transported to a local hospital, police say.

No other injuries have been confirmed at this time. Police have set up a perimeter in the area as a search for the suspect is underway. No information about the suspect has been released at this time.

Check back with wjla.com/news8.net for more information as it becomes available.

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0709/637285.html

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The shooter was reportedly wearing a "fake beard" how strange. It sounds like this was personal as opposed to random. Especially since it occurred in the back room of the store.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I'm at the scene. Pretty crazy. Fox is reporting the guy was wearing a fake beard. Bad day for the store to be closed, being a relatively big shopping day. Hope the victim is ok.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Hope they catch the shooter and that the employee is okay.

Came in through the loading area? Who the ef left that door open.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Store Employee Shot at Virginia Retail Store

The Washington Post reports that an employee at the Apple Store, Clarendon in Arlington, Virginia was shot this morning during what police are currently calling an attempted robbery.
Arlington police said the suspect rang a doorbell at a back service entrance. A 26-year-old female employee opened the door and was shot, said Detective Crystal Nosal, a police spokeswoman.

Nosal said it was unclear whether the employee and the shooter exchanged words and whether he was after merchandise or money. Police said the unidentified victim suffered a wound to her right shoulder and was in serious, but stable condition at an area hospital. Her injuries are not considered life-threatening, Nosal said.
The store is currently closed while police investigate the incident, and they are expected to release surveillance tape in hopes of identifying the assailant.

Apple has also released a brief statement about the shooting:
"We are shocked by this senseless act of violence and our thoughts are with this co-worker and her family," said Steve Dowling, a spokesman for Apple's corporate headquarters in Cupertino, Calif. "We're working with police to catch the person who committed this act."

Article Link: Apple Store Employee Shot at Virginia Retail Store

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
That’s terrible and it sounds like the robber was probably after merchandise given he was trying to come in from the back door. I wish the employee a speedy recover and I hope they find this guy and brand his forehead with an apple logo! :apple:

mpr131

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Washington, DC
Hope they catch the shooter and that the employee is okay.

Came in through the loading area? Who the ef left that door open.

Sounds like he rang the buzzer so it could have been closed and they opened it at the sound of the buzzer. That's just an assumption though.

"...two employees in the store heard the buzzer at the back door ring. One went to answer it. Then a loud bang was heard, followed by screams..."

The article also states the woman who was shot was transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries...which is good. Not sure of the robbery motive here. My guess is the local coffee shop has more cash on hand than an Apple Store.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=88078&catid=188

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
Headline

I can see the headline now:
"Genius" opens armored door for gunman, gets shot.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Holy cow! This is very disturbing, indeed. I can see why the perp chose that particular Apple store, as it is not located in a big shopping mall so that it is much easier to access on foot. Probably he had a car parked on a nearby street and was able to quickly run to it, or maybe he even caught a bus or jumped on the Metro train.....

MidiMonk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Hope the girl has a speedy recovery, a sad state of affairs really.

Anyone making lighthearted remarks about this should really be ashamed of themselves.

Stevamundo

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2008
What in the hell? What's wrong with you people for making jokes to this? I bet if it was your daughter, girlfriend or wife who got shot, you'd SHUT THE HELL UP then.

Anyways, I'm so glad the woman sustained NON-threatening injuries. I wish her a speedy recovery!

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
If they'd let the thief steal an iPhone with a MobileMe GPS tracking system, they'd have caught him by now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.