Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
The people making jokes need to grow up. Or better yet, banned from macrumors.

Comedy is the quickest way to heal from a tragedy. A lot of people feel that way.

Sitting around and feeling bad for this girl won't help her in any way more than people cracking jokes.

We can all take some solace in the fact that her wounds were non life threatening. Feel free to wish her the best and cope in your own way. But stop wasting your energy telling others how to deal with it. Total waste of effort.

Just my two cents.

phalewhale

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007

The jokes on here haven't really been bad taste or anything - at least in my opinion. I actually thought the pic of PC Guy was mega funny what with the beard and handgun. Priceless.

Anyway, what I find more disturbing is the fact that it appears someone could rate this story as a positive!!!

Norco

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
Why so serious?

batmandarkknightjoker_2.jpg

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
About those jokes, look at them. They're making fun of that idiot who shot her. Not her. I bet they're all wishing for her speedy recovery (although the trauma involved is problaby going to be a hell of a job to get through).

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
Here is a security cam shot of the perp. Looks pretty shady...
Well, if that's him, we certainly have a problem.
A low life wouldn't know that Apple stores rely mostly on credit and not cash. He would simply think since the Apple store is so popular that it must have loads of cash on hand.
I don't know where you guys are, but here in Palo Alto, at least in our main Apple Store on University Ave., we have cash registers.
Yes, it's a terrible thing to happen and I too hope the young woman injured survives and makes a full recovery.

I would personally tend to agree that this is not a good story to be making light of, but people deal with bad news in different ways. Light-hearted comments/jokes aren't necessarily a sign of people wanting to offend, rather often just a way of dealing with the crazy horrible stuff that goes on in the world, even if that comes across as inappropriate to others.
Exactly. People joke about this, I don't mind.
Starting serious jokes, like "I hope she dies, opening a door like that, what was she thinking!" is a problem, and I'm pretty sure most of us would consider that inappropriate.
Aristotle, like Porco said, people deal with bad news differently.
In this world of hopelessness, and despair, we have no way of lighting this place up.
We can sulk, and hope that she maybe gets better, or we can look at it optimistically. By looking at it optimistically, we hope she gets better, and make a few light-hearted comments.
Anyway, what I find more disturbing is the fact that it appears someone could rate this story as a positive!!!
Positive? That, is the bigger problem.

Personally, if I got shot in a non-lethal manner, I know I would be making a few jokes.
Reminds me when either Fred or George from Harry Potter said:
"See George, I'm holy"
Holy, with a hole in his head, after his ear was blasted off.

Max E Verde

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
New Jersey
I don't know where you guys are, but here in Palo Alto, at least in our main Apple Store on University Ave., we have cash registers.

Yes, but I've been around the Menlo Park Apple Store a lot, and while they have 1 cash register, I'd say at least 95% of shopping is done with credit. I'd be willing to bet they have less cash on hand than a crowded 99¢ store, where purchases cost much less but most customers use cash. The perp was probably after merchandise.

Wishing the injured employee a speedy recovery, and hoping they catch the shooter.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I guess that's one of the results of a society that has a huge problem with naked skin (and other 'inappropriate content' in the media) but zero problems with firearms and force.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Some of you need to lighten up, it's just mild humor and no one is making fun of the girl, and it's not like she's dead.

But I hope she has a speedy recovery, some people are just so stupid.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Some of you need to lighten up, it's just mild humor and no one is making fun of the girl, and it's not like she's dead.

But I hope she has a speedy recovery, some people are just so stupid.

This:D is:eek: the:( problem :)with:confused: written :eek:communications :mad:on :rolleyes:the :cool:Internet.. :pno ;)context, :apple: no tone.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
So does this mean we need to be on the lookout for a black male, between 35 and 45, with a medium build, facial hair and carrying a handgun.

jlewis2k1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2005
in your closet
This is sad to hear. I would imagine that Apple will now look into ways to REALLY secure their stores and have tighter protocols. Lets face it Apple has been pretty protective of their products, why wouldn't they not do this with their stores?

Maybe Jobs will make a personal visit to the wounded gal?

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
This is sad to hear. I would imagine that Apple will now look into ways to REALLY secure their stores and have tighter protocols. Lets face it Apple has been pretty protective of their products, why wouldn't they not do this with their stores?

Maybe Jobs will make a personal visit to the wounded gal?

There was nothing wrong with their security. The guy could have walked in the front door and done the same thing.

This attempted murderer is worthless. Jobs could do more for safety by making him valuable. Say, $100,000 reward? Every homeboy in da hood will be looking for some o' dat.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
If this was a Microsoft store...

I feel for the victim. You go to an Apple Store to pay your life savings for a face warmer mobile device and then you get shot.

First no Firewire, then iPhone cracking, then nVidia card failures, then Jobs having secret illnesses and surgeries, then overheating everything and finally, the shooting... You just know that this year, somebody, somewhere, connected to Apple WILL DIE! I'm slightly cautious to return some MacBooks now.

But of course, if it was a Microsoft-dominated store, the poor man would probably have died - of blue death.:D

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
I feel for the victim. You go to an Apple Store to pay your life savings for a face warmer mobile device and then you get shot.

First no Firewire, then iPhone cracking, then nVidia card failures, then Jobs having secret illnesses and surgeries, then overheating everything and finally, the shooting... You just know that this year, somebody, somewhere, connected to Apple WILL DIE! I'm slightly cautious to return some MacBooks now.

But of course, if it was a Microsoft-dominated store, the poor man would probably have died - of blue death.:D

Blue Death and shame.

I knew, some people really wanted the new iPhone, but this is a bit extreme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.