Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crackerjax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
Here's my dilema:

My iMac was stole 4th of July night while I was out watching things explode overhead. Big deal. Also stolen was 3 1tb drives and 1 500gb drive. I need those drives back as 2 of those 4 drives are the redundant backups of my children's photographic and videographic existence. I have mobileme on my wife's account. I account has an uncrackable password. Hers has no password. Our sons is only allowed to use firefox->starfall.com. So, I think someone will use her user.

I have a MBA/revA with mobileme on also, same account as my wife's. I have seen my iMac on the list of shared drives while away from home. Question is, is there a script I can move into the system via file sharing that will enable the probably turned off Screen Sharing so I can get an IP address and photo of the user.

I've never used Screen Sharing, hence its probably off, and I wouldn't know how to start using it if it was on. How do I use it when its on? Any help would be appreciated.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I have a MBA/revA with mobileme on also, same account as my wife's. I have seen my iMac on the list of shared drives while away from home. Question is, is there a script I can move into the system via file sharing that will enable the probably turned off Screen Sharing so I can get an IP address and photo of the user.

Putting a script on the filesystem will do nothing: you would need the remote machine to execute it. This is not the same as you executing it once you've placed it there.

crackerjax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
Obviously, but is there a location to put a file where it would be automatically run on next login or something?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I'd go ready up on launchd to see if you can drop a launch daemon script anywhere. I think you still need to tell launchd to register the script though. There is a StartupItems folder, but Apple says never to add or remove items: it's for system use...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.