Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
Thus far it is more stable then the version it replaced, by a lot... The Dock and Safari kept crashing and I would have to click three times on a dock item to get it to open and run... hated it. But this is 100% better. :)

laprej

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2005
Troy, NY
'open' command

Did anyone else notice that the 'open' command (run from Terminal) was a lot slower in SL? Did this release fix that? I need to start downloading it when I get home...

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Wow. This is the first time that Software Update is slow for me. I was always able to get stuff at full speed, now it is barely less than 100kbps.

Did anybody do a diff between this and previous seed to see what else is different? 1.3GB is huge, it is possible several of the extensions have been updated to 64bit, more 64bitness overall. Maybe updated frameworks like Python. GCD/OpenCL may have gotten an optimized update as well.

Can't wait to see what else is new, I am assumping the lack of posts here on that is based on the fact that it is slow to download the seed update.

It would be also interesting to see if Apple has decided to keep seeding us updates via Software Update to keep the non-ADC members testing.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Just an FYI:

I heard that if your download slows to a crawl in the middle you can stop it and choose to install again and it will resume at a much more bearable speed.

isaaclimdc

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I just finished my update, and what strikes me the most at this point in time is the battery life of my MBP! It is at 93% at still showing about 7:23 minutes of battery life. In the previous build, such high numbers show only due to calibration errors. This seems to be real, though. So yes, I can second the improved battery life in this build.

As for the black list view, I'm sort of on the fence with this one. It's nice looking and all by itself, but I don't believe it blends in well with the rest of the interface. I think Apple should either have the ENTIRE interface looking like that, or none of it. Leopard cleaned up the horrible mix between Tiger's Aqua and Brushed Metal interfaces. Apple: don't introduce yet another interface type!

Someone had a post on this thread saying that the Spotlight drop-down menu appeared slightly transparent. I back that up: Apple seemed to have tweaked the opacity of that window a bit.

Overall stability is currently unnoticeable as 10A394 already seemed very stable. However, does anyone feel like Dock Exposé is a little laggier than before?

Also, the Mail.app sorting problem has now been fixed. Phew!

ColinM

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
Pennsylvania
Just an FYI:

I heard that if your download slows to a crawl in the middle you can stop it and choose to install again and it will resume at a much more bearable speed.

I can confirm! I just tried this and it's going much faster. Let's just hope stopping it didn't screw up the file.

Byousee

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Corrupted

On two occasions I keep getting corrupt file installations, after downloading it twice.... Any known solutions?

isaaclimdc

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Apple tweaked the appearance of the Finder magnifier slider in this new build, removing that blue knob in favor of a grayish one.

Also, in the display brightness System Preference, what's with that horrible pulsating blue knob?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-07-10 at 10.17.33 AM.png
    Screen shot 2009-07-10 at 10.17.33 AM.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 5,249
  • Screen shot 2009-07-10 at 9.51.31 AM.png
    Screen shot 2009-07-10 at 9.51.31 AM.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 355

AppleThis&That

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Darn! Bought my Mac in mid-May. Just missed the beautiful $9.95 fee. Guess I'll settle for the full $29. :rolleyes:

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
In 10A380 BT on my Late 2008 MBP was not working at all and I asked about if it was fixed in 10A394 and didn't hear back, so well, is it working now?

Also is it necessary to force 64-bit on a Late 2008 MBP or will it work right out of install/update?

I removed my SL install after a day with 10A380 and didn't upgrade to 10A394 of course because I didn't want to have to re-install all over again after getting Leopard all set back up, so any input on the experiences with a Late 2008 MBP?

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I just finished my update, and what strikes me the most at this point in time is the battery life of my MBP! It is at 93% at still showing about 7:23 minutes of battery life. In the previous build, such high numbers show only due to calibration errors. This seems to be real, though. So yes, I can second the improved battery life in this build.

As for the black list view, I'm sort of on the fence with this one. It's nice looking and all by itself, but I don't believe it blends in well with the rest of the interface. I think Apple should either have the ENTIRE interface looking like that, or none of it. Leopard cleaned up the horrible mix between Tiger's Aqua and Brushed Metal interfaces. Apple: don't introduce yet another interface type!

Someone had a post on this thread saying that the Spotlight drop-down menu appeared slightly transparent. I back that up: Apple seemed to have tweaked the opacity of that window a bit.

Overall stability is currently unnoticeable as 10A394 already seemed very stable. However, does anyone feel like Dock Exposé is a little laggier than before?

Also, the Mail.app sorting problem has now been fixed. Phew!

I agree the black list view seems outta place.

BUT, I guess this is how OS X was before with the phasing of the pinstripes from 10.2-10.5. Apple just likes to slowly add/take away features in each release regardless of a unified look.

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
Apple tweaked the appearance of the Finder magnifier slider in this new build, removing that blue knob in favor of a grayish one.

Also, in the display brightness System Preference, what's with that horrible pulsating blue knob?

That was like that in the previous build, if I remember correctly.

And the pulsating knob is in 10.5.7, it just does that when you click that ambient light option below.

I would also like to say that Spaces 'hiccups' as the screens switch.

Loving the new look though of the right click in the dock.

japii

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2009
YES. I was having that exact same problem as well. Mail just simply refused to sort by date received -> descending. Glad I'm not alone. I've got 53 minutes remaining. Let's see what we get.

Just to follow up on this, I've been running 10a380 up until now (I reverted back after having issues with 10a394) but I just upgraded again to 394 so that I could grab this new update and Mail isn't having that problem like it did before. So it looks like it's just some random bug.

Also is it necessary to force 64-bit on a Late 2008 MBP or will it work right out of install/update?

I'm not sure, I just remember reading that in the documentation it says to hold down 6 and 4 on boot to enable it and not all models support it (late 2008 mbp should though). The limitation had nothing to do with whether or not the cpu supported 64 bit, I think Apple was just limiting it to certain models to make sorting through the bug reports a little easier. And I can confirm that my Unibody Macbook didn't support it in 380 or 394. Would be nice if it was enabled in this update though. I'll try it when the update finishes downloading.

isaaclimdc

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
That was like that in the previous build, if I remember correctly.

Nope, I just checked my old screenshots: the finder slider used to be the aqua blue.

And the pulsating knob is in 10.5.7, it just does that when you click that ambient light option below.

Right, now I get it. I was thinking it was unconventional of Apple to have a random pulsating button.

ccharlton

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2009
:confused: Does anyone know of a Logitech SL driver ( beta or otherwise ) for their mice especially the MX revolution? I cannot live without that mouse and in SL the mouse works but the cool configurations do not. :confused:

Got it workin' here!

35i94yw.jpg

Had to downgrade to the 32-bit 2.6 driver. You can get it from here.

garfieldv1

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2009
you can use last version (2.6), not the latest 2.7 to recognize the mx revolution

:confused: Does anyone know of a Logitech SL driver ( beta or otherwise ) for their mice especially the MX revolution? I cannot live without that mouse and in SL the mouse works but the cool configurations do not. :confused:

you can use last version (2.6), not the latest 2.7 to recognize the mx revolution. Then setup all the shortcut with keystroke...like setup your mid button as F8, the same one will activate space...

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Got it workin' here!

35i94yw.jpg

Had to downgrade to the 32-bit 2.6 driver. You can get it from here.

you can use last version (2.6), not the latest 2.7 to recognize the mx revolution. Then setup all the shortcut with keystroke...like setup your mid button as F8, the same one will activate space...

The 2.6 drivers only work in 32bit version of Snow Leopard. It won't work in 64bit version.

simonshek

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
....Also, in the display brightness System Preference, what's with that horrible pulsating blue knob?
the display brightness in system pref. is look like this even mine one is like this in leopard 10.5.7. what's wrong? it's aqua :confused:

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Bits of "Marble" appear here and there, as in the dock and the list colors...

So Marble really does exist! Awesome! Didn't remember hearing about it at WWDC, but glad to see it's popping up in dev. builds. The black looks awesome. A very welcome change. :D Random shades of gray (aka Unified) was getting pretty damn boring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.