Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Go to the Apple web site and search for ADC; sign up, pay up and start playing.

Well there is that way. I guess I'll wait until september for snow leopard and play with Windows 7 until then. any way I couldn't download it. I don't have any dual layer disks.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
So Marble really does exist! Awesome! Didn't remember hearing about it at WWDC, but glad to see it's popping up in dev. builds. The black looks awesome. A very welcome change. :D Random shades of gray (aka Unified) was getting pretty damn boring.

It does, it just isnt going to be a complete UI-remake like 95% of the people on here want.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Well there is that way. I guess I'll wait until september for snow leopard and play with Windows 7 until then. any way I couldn't download it. I don't have any dual layer disks.

You don't need to burn an image to install from it. An image can be "burned" onto another partition on your drive. (See Disk Utility)

DEFCON STIG

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
Yea this blows... looks like I'm stuck with the laggy server connection... Probably going to just let it finish overnight at this point...

Anyways, HERE'S what my issues with 394 are, and they're ALL related to Exchange 2007 support:

Address Book.app previously did not allow you to add photos to Exchange contacts, while this is a readily available feature for Exchange on both the iPhone and in Outlook on PCs... (adding the photo to a contact on the iPhone will actually push the photo over to Address Book.app... so that's my workaround...)

iChat.app has a major flaw in its interaction with Exchange contacts as well. If you attempt to assign anyone on your buddy list to an Exchange contact through iChat, the app will completely freeze up with the spinning wheel, and either crash completely or you'll need to force-quit ONLY if you search through these Exchange contacts with the indexed "Spotlight" searchbar at the top of the list within the iChat settings... If you simply scroll through the exchange contacts and select the contact manually without using the searchbar, everything's fine...

iCal.app ALSO has some trouble with Exchange. You can set up events just fine through iCal, and these events will push to the server instantly and that's all good... but if ANY of these events have recurrence set up, they will simply DISAPPEAR from iCal completely... Upon further investigation it seems that these recurring events STILL exist on the exchange server (and all other devices connected to it), but they seem to be invisible to iCal.

And the final Exchange issue is with Mail, iCal, and Address Book together... Server updates do NOT seem to be "pushed" to Snow Leopard - all three applications require any updates to contacts, calendars, or emails to be "fetched" at whatever interval you choose in the app's preferences... I don't know if this is due to an ActiveSync licensing issue (doesn't seem to make any sense considering the iPhone is licensed with ActiveSync... so why would Apple not bother doing the same for Snow Leopard?) or simply a bug... But in any case, it's not normal behavior for an Exchange 2007 client.

Aside from these issues I don't believe I had any other problems... OH - XLD (X Lossless Decoder) Audio conversion software does not encode properly in Snow Leopard... all audio files encoded with it are completely silent for the duration of the track.

I REALLY hope this 402 update has some fixes for the Exchange support... It's the main reason I upgraded to SL - (Entourage is awful)...

-After all that typing... I appear to have downloaded only 100MB... stupid Apple Server >: (

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
You really like Marble? In my opinion it's good in small areas here and there like the stacks grid (and now list) view, but when integrated into QuickTime X, it just begins to look a bit cheap. I like the fading away of controls, but that black window bar is just ugly!

I simply do not want to see Safari, Mail, Finder, etc all looking like this! :mad:

I don't expect to see the full transition like the black menu bar, black contextual menus, pale blue highlighting/scrollbars until 10.7 but I think it looks fantastic. Everything isn't going to be black. Safari, Mail and the like will still retain the gray just maybe a shade or two darker.

I think Quicktime looks great. It would not look as good with a gray title bar. The idea behind the title bar being black is that it does not get in the way and is as seamless as possible. The best color to do that is black.

isaaclimdc

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I think Quicktime looks great. It would not look as good with a gray title bar. The idea behind the title bar being black is that it does not get in the way and is as seamless as possible. The best color to do that is black.

Yes I agree that much, but I think somehow that 'kind' of black is sort of unsettling. Maybe it should be a matte black instead of that glossy-looking black. I don't know, just sort of cheapens the UI look IMHO.

OSXbugs

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2009
Yea this blows... looks like I'm stuck with the laggy server connection... Probably going to just let it finish overnight at this point...

Address Book.app previously did not allow you to add photos to Exchange contacts, while this is a readily available feature for Exchange on both the iPhone and in Outlook on PCs... (adding the photo to a contact on the iPhone will actually push the photo over to Address Book.app... so that's my workaround...)

This is working in the current build (and the previous build). The image updates over the air.

And the final Exchange issue is with Mail, iCal, and Address Book together... Server updates do NOT seem to be "pushed" to Snow Leopard - all three applications require any updates to contacts, calendars, or emails to be "fetched" at whatever interval you choose in the app's preferences... I don't know if this is due to an ActiveSync licensing issue (doesn't seem to make any sense considering the iPhone is licensed with ActiveSync... so why would Apple not bother doing the same for Snow Leopard?) or simply a bug... But in any case, it's not normal behavior for an Exchange 2007 client.

There is a request for this, but it probably will not not make 10.6.0. Maybe a later point release.

Also, Snow Leopard does not use ActiveSync, rather Exchange Web Services, which does support Push.

I REALLY hope this 402 update has some fixes for the Exchange support... It's the main reason I upgraded to SL - (Entourage is awful)...

Me as well. I submit a lot of bug reports to Apple, and I'd love to include any others you find with Exchange (or anything else even). Feel free to private message me any other bugs, and the steps to reproduce them, and I will see that they get submitted to engineering. Thanks.

(This goes for anyone else too. But if you do message me, please be descriptive about the issue.)

Cozmo85

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
expose on multiple monitors is fixed. Meaning, if something is on monitor 2 it exposes on monitor 2 instead of everything going to monitor 1

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
I got rid of my beta install of snow leopard so I can't be bothered reinstalling it all but has the x3100 driver been converted to 64bit yet? in 10A380 and 10A394, two of the three components of the driver are still in 32bit.

japii

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2009
Yes I agree that much, but I think somehow that 'kind' of black is sort of unsettling. Maybe it should be a matte black instead of that glossy-looking black. I don't know, just sort of cheapens the UI look IMHO.

Ya exactly. I'm all for black and being minimal and all that, but the title bar right now looks like a cheap hack, or a graphical glitch. It's just awful. A nice matte black could be incredibly awesome though. Something along the lines of a black pearl mod maybe.

But I'm fairly confident the UI for Quicktime isn't finalized so I'm excited to see how it turns out.

littlegreymen12

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2009
Finaly

This update is alot better than the last one. My Battery life on my macbook has increased 3X what it use to be. It also seems a lot more stable. very pleased.

DEFCON STIG

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
This is working in the current build (and the previous build). The image updates over the air.

As I said a little after mentioning that issue - I use my iPhone to assign any photos to Exchange contacts and yes, those photos will update over the air just fine and show up just fine in Address Book. However, I'm still unable to apply these photos to my Exchange Contacts directly in Address Book (like I can with "On My Mac" contacts)...

But thanks for all that other info regarding the status of those other problems.

DEFCON STIG

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
Screenshot2009-07-10at1.19.26AM.png

How long has that "minimize windows into application icon" feature been there??

ZooCrewMan

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
Northridge, CA
must have missed that last time

I personally don't like it. If you have multiple windows minimized to the dock, there's no way to tell how many you have down there. I find the way of maximizing one of the several windows you may have minimized cumbersome compared to the way Windows minimizes multiple windows to the task bar...

DEFCON STIG

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
I personally don't like it. If you have multiple windows minimized to the dock, there's no way to tell how many you have down there. I find the way of maximizing one of the several windows you may have minimized cumbersome compared to the way Windows minimizes multiple windows to the task bar...

Well that newer "click and hold" exposé feature will partition off all the minimized windows on the bottom part of the screen when all the windows show up... That's one way to figure it out - there's also just right clicking on that icon to see ALL the available windows (some of which may or may not be minimized... so I could see your confusion there)... All in all I still like it...

moiety

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
I still have the trackpad issue. I'm noticing it more now, but that could be because I'm paying attention to it.

When it first started happening to me, I used to force-reboot to fix it, but I now realize that you can always recover from the freeze.

Try putting your palm on the trackpad, covering the whole thing for about five seconds. This resets the trackpad driver on all Mac portables -- it's a secret feature. If it does't work (it doesn't always for me on the first try), try moving the mouse, try clicking several times, and keep trying to palm-reset. It will come back to life -- at least it always does for me. Might take about sixty seconds of fidgeting, but it'll get working again.

isaaclimdc

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
expose on multiple monitors is fixed. Meaning, if something is on monitor 2 it exposes on monitor 2 instead of everything going to monitor 1

Nice! Thanks for the heads-up. That solves that irritating problem I had in the last build with windows switching to places where they shouldn't be.

Chris Grande

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Well that newer "click and hold" exposé feature will partition off all the minimized windows on the bottom part of the screen when all the windows show up... That's one way to figure it out - there's also just right clicking on that icon to see ALL the available windows (some of which may or may not be minimized... so I could see your confusion there)... All in all I still like it...

I like this feature as well. I just think they need to somehow show the windows behind the dock icon to give some visual representation that they are there. Maybe shrink the apps icon to around 90% of its size then place the windows behind it fading into the background kind of like how stacks look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.