Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
I put things in the recycle bin, then when i go to recycle these, or delete them, it says that these files are locked? what can i do? they are all simple files, that i downloaded

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK
I have had exactly the same problem (in my case, with partially-downloaded files created by Internet Explorer). The quick and dirty way to get rid of them is to reboot (if your mac allows it) into OS 9 and delete them from there. Should be very straightforward. As for doing it on an OS X-only machine, I don't know..... hopefully someone else can help out here

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Dunepilot said:
I have had exactly the same problem (in my case, with partially-downloaded files created by Internet Explorer). The quick and dirty way to get rid of them is to reboot (if your mac allows it) into OS 9 and delete them from there. Should be very straightforward. As for doing it on an OS X-only machine, I don't know..... hopefully someone else can help out here
I have two solutions for you - one really annoying, and another much less painful. The annoying solution is to open up the Get Info box for the offending files and manually uncheck the Locked attribute. The easy fix is to hold down Option when emptying the Trash; this deletes locked files without telling you it can't (and it's worked ever since System 7 was introduced).

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
wrldwzrd89 said:
I have two solutions for you - one really annoying, and another much less painful. The annoying solution is to open up the Get Info box for the offending files and manually uncheck the Locked attribute. The easy fix is to hold down Option when emptying the Trash; this deletes locked files without telling you it can't (and it's worked ever since System 7 was introduced).

I can't even move locked files, so the option-empty trash thing probably won't work. Unlocking in Get Info will, but if the lock checkbox is disabled, then you have to go to the 'Ownerships & Permissions' section of Get Info and set yourself to the owner (may require admin password).

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
i tried holding down the option key, didnt work, tried opening the file w/ get info, and the locked isnt clicked, its a windows media player folder with windows media player file in it if that helps

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
a little more info, its the windows media player for max os8, by accident i downloaded that one first, instead of osx without realizing it

aireeonree

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
delete

just playing with my shiny new macbookpro and have transfered old files from pc over. now doing laundry and want to delete some files but it wont let me. i am admin but everyt ime i put in trash i get admin log in come up then it either copies files into trash or doesnt at all. so i cant delete anything. its wierd.help please

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
* A note to others at the age of the thread. Just saying only focus on the new question as I'm sure the original thread has been dealt with.
just playing with my shiny new macbookpro and have transferred old files from pc over. now doing laundry and want to delete some files but it wont let me. i am admin but every time i put in trash i get admin log in come up then it either copies files into trash or doesn't at all. so i cant delete anything. its weird.help please

Describe where you are dragging from as well if it's happening for all types of files or only certain ones. Have you tried rebooting? Have you tried the other methods mentioned in this thread, such as deleting files with Terminal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.