Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jomief

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
Hi. When I insert a blank CD into my MacBook, running Leopard, nothing happens.
1. I can't see it on the desktop and neither can I see it on Finder.
2. Finder preference "show CD" checked is on.
3. I've tried different blank CD's and they all don't work,
4. When there is data on the CD it appears on the desktop
5. When I go to system preferences cd/dvd it only shows 3 options NONE of which are "when I insert a blank CD" or "when I insert a blank DVD" so I can't set these options.

It seems like a software thing and I'm just not "flipping the right switches". Item #5 bothers me though as the other Macs I've seen have this option.

Much thanks.

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Generally I can't think of any reason you would need to mount a blank cd. Will it let you burn to the disc, even though it doesn't show the empty disc as mounted?

jomief

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
Thanks for all the guiding questions.
1. The CD doesn't show in disk utility.
2. No I can't burn on iTunes
3. I wanted to see the CD on my desktop as I am looking to burn files by dragging them into the CD window on the desktop.
4. When I insert the CD it doesn't sound like its reading, just sort of "cruising"

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
if thats the case then i would hazard a guess that your Optical drive is dying. i have the same problem with my laptop, except it will spit them out after 30 seconds or so. only SOME commercially burnt dvds/cds will be read.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.