Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vizin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Submitted on July 7th, got the ready for sale email at 10:20 PM (central time) yesterday. 19 days.

The review process is bizarre. My app requires a network connection for functionality, so I checked my Apache server logs every day to see if anyone was using it. Apple tested it twice about three days after I submitted, and then they never tested it again before it was approved. Were they just sitting on it for two weeks? Who knows.

TAJones99

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Orange Park, FL
I submitted my app on the 22nd of July it got rejected cause it was not appropriately rated well I fixed it and resubmitted it, god knows how long it will take now, if they already reviewed it you would think all the have to do is check for the changes they ask for and approve it oh well we will see

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I'll be interested to see if it appears on the 29th.
Only if it's approved before then. Otherwise, it'll just appear the day it's approved. And then it'll show as being released on July 29th, even if it was actually released later. That's why it's a good idea to reset the Availability Date to the current day when it's finally approved.

boyplunder

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
UK
Only if it's approved before then.

I checked iTunes Connect this morning and see that my shiny app now says 'Ready for Sale'. This is a day early, so I'm hoping it will be on the AppStore tomorrow. Yippie!

How exciting!
Have now had confirmation that the app is appearing in the AppStore today and is already showing up in the New Zealand iTunes. That's 13 days.

playboy16

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
23 days and counting for me. it only took me a month to write the entire thing! they need to improve their process. 7 days average ya right! my application is very simple and useful.

there should be some way to pay $100 or something the expidite the process. I'm sure the large companies go to the front of the line anyway.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
7 days average ya right! my application is very simple and useful.
You know how averages work, right? Doesn't guarantee that you are an average case. Hey, what does your app do? Simple and useful might still be potentially rejected. Maybe give this blog post a look and see if you fall into any of those categories.

I'm sure the large companies go to the front of the line anyway.
And you know this how?

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
How long does it take to get a new App approved now?

How long does it take to get a new App approved now?

I uploaded 6 apps on the following days:

22nd
19th
20th
19th
20th
19th

Not one of them has been approved yet. Anyone know how long the wait is these days? I have heard 14 days, but some of these are on day 15+ now.

Ethan

TAJones99

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Orange Park, FL
Looks like to me Apple will approve or reject your app when they feel like getting to it I submitted my app on 22nd on the 27th I got rejected cause they wanted me to change my rating I did and I resubmitted on the 27th and I'm still waiting for them to approve it I payed my $99 to to make app and try to make some money, this is getting out of hand I don't how much longer people are going to be able to take this from them.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
According to the new iPhone Developers Announcements and News page, "96% of applications are being approved within 14 days". Sounds like you've managed to fall into that 4% but you have pretty much just entered that bubble. No need to be getting so worried one day after.

Also, my experience is that Apple is quicker to reject an app than to approve it (days vs. weeks).

syler

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2009
new app took 10 days

Just to keep the tally going...

My first app, Trio Touch Lite, took 7 days to get approved.

Submitted Aug 3rd, 2009
Approved Aug 10th, 2009

Not bad at all.

sergio27

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2008
Update submitted on July 27th, approved on August 7th. 11 days.
New app submitted on July 29th, approved today, August 12th. 14 days.

brvids

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
Yeah this is out of hand. Time is money and one of my apps is now at 3 weeks with no approval in sight! We pay $99 to be part of this program. Apple is making money hand over fist from this so I don't think it's ridiculous to expect top notch service! Anybody know of a number to call or person to contact directly? I mean besides the appreview@apple.com.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
We pay $99 to be part of this program. Apple is making money hand over fist from this...
You really think Apple is hugely profiting from the $99/year fee? And it really is a pretty reasonable amount. To receive top-notch service, I would expect to probably pay $999/year.

laffs1

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2009
So after 19 days, at noon on a Sunday, my app got denied. The reason was there was no error message when you try and go online from the app and the user has no internet access. So now we fix the problem and apply again. Does anyone know about the second time application process? Does it go any faster the second time around? Also, is there any way that they could find another reason to deny on round two or do they give all the reasons at once?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Does anyone know about the second time application process? Does it go any faster the second time around
Nope, you get put to the back of the line, same as first time submissions, and updates.

Also, is there any way that they could find another reason to deny on round two or do they give all the reasons at once?
They only give one reason at a time. You could quite easily go through multiple rounds of rejections.

brvids

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
You really think Apple is hugely profiting from the $99/year fee? And it really is a pretty reasonable amount. To receive top-notch service, I would expect to probably pay $999/year.

Umm no my friend. I expect top notch service when Apple takes a 30% cut out of every app and their profits are through the roof. Developers like all of us are directly responsible for their success. 2 weeks or less is reasonable. 3 weeks is not.

playboy16

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
59 days and counting on my app review. Still being reviewed. This is crazy!

Can I re-submit the same application without removing the one being reviewed? I have a feeling it is stuck on someones desk or something.

jessejohnson147

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2009
I read this somewhere

"Apple has posted their answer to the FCC; best info to date from Apple on the app store review process:

Apple Answers the FCC's Questions

From the release:

"There are more than 40 full-time trained reviewers, and at least two different reviewers study each application so that the review process is applied uniformly. Apple also established an App Store executive review board that determines procedures and sets policy for the review process, as well as reviews applications that are escalated to the board because they raise new or complex issues. The review board meets weekly and is comprised of senior management with responsibilities for the App Store. 95% of applications are approved within 14 days of being submitted.

We receive about 8,500 new applications and updates every week, and roughly 20% of them are not approved as originally submitted. In little more than a year, we have reviewed more than 200,000 applications and updates."

My calculations: 8,500 x2 (each app reviewed by two reviewers) = 17,000 apps / 40 reviewers = 425 / 40 hours = 10.6 app reviews per hour? = 5+ minutes each?

They're back to saying 95% approval in 14 days in the dev center news page, up from 88% for the last week or so. Maybe there was a wave of submissions?"

They will allow you one expedited review but you have to email them and tell why. Here is the email :
appreview@Apple.com

Keywords are also being rejected so you can't ride the coattails of popular games here is some reading:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/169274/apple_lets_iphone_developers_add_search_keywords.html

If it is rejected cause of that you will get a email like this.
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for submitting XXXXXX to the App Store. We've reviewed XXXXXX and determined that we cannot post this version of your iPhone application to the App Store at this time because of inappropriate 'Keywords' used to identify your application. We cannot post applications that contain irrelevant keywords in their search criteria. Keywords must be applicable to the application content. It would be appropriate to remove XXXXXX from your 'Keywords'.

Please visit iTunes Connect, Manage Applications to remove the inappropriate 'Keywords', and resubmit your binary for review. <http://itunesconnect.apple.com/>

Note: Keyword terms must be related to your application content and cannot contain offensive terms. It is not appropriate to reference other applications. Keywords can be single words or phrases; keep in mind the text field is limited to 100 characters. All Keywords must be separated by commas otherwise the system will see it as one keyword.

Regards,

iPhone Developer Program

hope this all helps someone

iphonerehab

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
We are at 35 days and counting... any suggestions

We had our last app approved in about 16-17 days with only one small rejection, resubmission and then quick approval on 2nd submit. It seemed fair enough.

Our 2nd app is at 35 days with no word at all. We're keeping a positive attitude b/c we worked so hard on this app but I'm looking for feedback from some more experienced developers. I've chalked it up to the idea that they are reviewing it more closely for the "What's Hot" category! :p I've come to the conclusion that they have the "What's Hot" meeting bi-monthly hence the wait!

I don't know if I can keep believing this dream for much longer! What's your recent experiences with approval times? Thanks! And Happy Approvals to you all!

Vizin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
I had my first rejection last week (I forgot to display an alert when a network connection failed, oops).

It took 8 days from submission to get the rejection notice. Irritating, but had it been 20 something days I'd be pissed.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Yeah this is out of hand. Time is money and one of my apps is now at 3 weeks with no approval in sight! We pay $99 to be part of this program. Apple is making money hand over fist from this so I don't think it's ridiculous to expect top notch service!

Someone with no sense of perspective. The $99 is peanuts compared to the $3500 ADC Premier dev program (which is small compared to what some other cell phone manufacturers have charged for access to their dev tools). Don't expect top notch support for such a tiny payment. And the money from apps might be just a bit larger than a rounding error compared to Apple's total revenue. In biomedical or satellite systems, it takes years to get products approved, a month or two is an impossible fast track. And Apple gets over a thousand submissions a day. Your app will be lost in the pile.

The last bunch of apps I worked with took around 2 weeks after submission, give or take a week, to get approved. So I wouldn't worry unless it goes over a month, and I wouldn't depend on any one app idea getting approved. In the mean time, just move on to the next project.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
Someone with no sense of perspective. The $99 is peanuts compared to the $3500 ADC Premier dev program (which is small compared to what some other cell phone manufacturers have charged for access to their dev tools). Don't expect top notch support for such a tiny payment. And the money from apps might be just a bit larger than a rounding error compared to Apple's total revenue. In biomedical or satellite systems, it takes years to get products approved, a month or two is an impossible fast track. And Apple gets over a thousand submissions a day. Your app will be lost in the pile.

The last bunch of apps I worked with took around 2 weeks after submission, give or take a week, to get approved. So I wouldn't worry unless it goes over a month, and I wouldn't depend on any one app idea getting approved. In the mean time, just move on to the next project.

while that's true, apple would never have been able to create an appstore with mostly 99¢ (and free) apps if they charged the adc premier dev price.

that being said, i still believe apple should be charging $99/binary instead, which would end (or severely limit) junk apps and junk app farms which clog up the app store and account for lengthy approval time. in addition, a $25 - $50 fee to submit an update, which would put an end (or severely limit) developers who for some reason feel the need to update their apps every 2 weeks rather than originally submitting something more complete.

i think this way apple could still retain their low tier pricing scheme, the appstore would be a better place with little junk, and developers would feel less alienated during the approval process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.